Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Jeff,
    So far so good with .18b!!!!!! I've done several hotsyncs and connected to vision a few times (my phone still resets after most hotsyncs, so I get to reconnect to vision after I sync, too! ). No problems at all yet. Now I can start testing the application's actual functionality!!!! (I had to leave it disabled before, since the beeping could have happened during a meeting, ironically defeating the whole purpose of the app.)

By the way, check your PM if you would, I sent you a question on another topic.

Thanks for your help -- I love developers who are as fast and responsive as you are.

-Brian
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    Jeff,
    So far so good with .18b!!!!!! I've done several hotsyncs and connected to vision a few times (my phone still resets after most hotsyncs, so I get to reconnect to vision after I sync, too! ). No problems at all yet. Now I can start testing the application's actual functionality!!!! (I had to leave it disabled before, since the beeping could have happened during a meeting, ironically defeating the whole purpose of the app.)

By the way, check your PM if you would, I sent you a question on another topic.

Thanks for your help -- I love developers who are as fast and responsive as you are.

-Brian
    I have gotten several other reports that this new version fixed the system sound problem. The confirmation beep was something I was using as a debugging aid but its time and need have far since passed.

As for being responsive, I try my best! I am however starting to travel quite a lot these days. My time between posts may suffer a little bit moving forward.

I haven't seen any PM's. Where did you send it? You can always use: cradlecare@wideopenwest.com

Jeff
  3.    #103  
    New build posted (v0.19b). Incorporates several fixes for stability and added some controls to 5-way navigation that I missed.

Jeff

****Remember to COMPLETELTY delete the old ScheduleCare before you install this one. Hopefully in the next build I will have the program automatically doing this for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjwhitty
    Jeff, Just tried it but category setting didn't work. Pretty sure I set it up right. First it reset my treo and I first enabled it then when I set the catagory and placed in the appointment under that catagory to turn Radio off, Nothing happened.
    I also can't get Category Manager to work.

Here are my settings:
    ScheduleCare checkbox: ON
    On the ScheduleCare screen, all checkboxes are cleared except for "Zero Volume gets Vibrate Set"
    Category Manager checkbox: ON
    On the Category Manager screen, I have a category called "ScheduleCare" listed with command !SCA0!, !SCV0!, and !SCD0!
    In Datebk5, I have an appointment called "ScheduleCare test" with its category set to ScheduleCare. I have ScheduleCare set as a hidden category in Datebk5.

At the appointed time, nothing seems to happen.

I've tried it with all three codes on one line, and also each code on a separate line on the Category Manager screen. I am using version b0.19, and never used a previous version of ScheduleCare.

If I set up the appointment with "!SCA0! !SCV0! !SCD0!" entered as a note, however, it works like a charm.

Aside from that, Jeff, this is an absolutely awesome program. My main goal is to turn all sounds and the display off when I'm sleeping, without having to use the sound mode button on top of the Treo, since I would like to have TreoAlarm wake me up in the morning.

GREAT WORK!!!

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster

Here are my settings:
    ScheduleCare checkbox: ON
    On the ScheduleCare screen, all checkboxes are cleared except for "Zero Volume gets Vibrate Set"
    Category Manager checkbox: ON
    On the Category Manager screen, I have a category called "ScheduleCare" listed with command !SCA0!, !SCV0!, and !SCD0!
    In Datebk5, I have an appointment called "ScheduleCare test" with its category set to ScheduleCare. I have ScheduleCare set as a hidden category in Datebk5.

At the appointed time, nothing seems to happen.

I've tried it with all three codes on one line, and also each code on a separate line on the Category Manager screen. I am using version b0.19, and never used a previous version of ScheduleCare.

If I set up the appointment with "!SCA0! !SCV0! !SCD0!" entered as a note, however, it works like a charm.

Aside from that, Jeff, this is an absolutely awesome program. My main goal is to turn all sounds and the display off when I'm sleeping, without having to use the sound mode button on top of the Treo, since I would like to have TreoAlarm wake me up in the morning.

GREAT WORK!!!

I will have a new build out tomorrow but not sure if it will address this issue. Try setting the following options and see if things work better.

* Daily overrides Repeating
    * Notes Overrides description

If that does not work then hit the hidden button just to the right of the "Appointment Conflict Rules" label on the main screen of ScheduleCare. This button will wipeout all stored appointment information. Then see if it will pick up the category profiles.

I will also do some additional testing and code review to see if I can uncover something. The logic is very complicated so I am sure there are still some things to fix before I officially release the program. (I hope to make the release date some time in the next week).

Jeff

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I will have a new build out tomorrow but not sure if it will address this issue. Try setting the following options and see if things work better.

* Daily overrides Repeating
    * Notes Overrides description

If that does not work then hit the hidden button just to the right of the "Appointment Conflict Rules" label on the main screen of ScheduleCare. This button will wipeout all stored appointment information. Then see if it will pick up the category profiles.
    Hi Jeff, I tried both of your suggestions, and neither of them worked.

Also, I have a dumb question: when you turn OFF a setting for an appointed time period, are the original settings supposed to be automatically restored at the end of that time period? Or do I need to explicitly include a "turn on" appointment following a "turn off" appointment?

For example, my phone settings normally look like this:

http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318232-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318234-S.jpg

I set a Datebk5 appointment with a note that includes !SCA0! !SCV0!, from 6:15pm to 6:16pm.

Then at 6:17pm, I go back to my settings, and see they have changed to the following:

http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318215-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318218-S.jpg

Should I have created another appointment starting at 6:16pm with a note that includes !SCA1! !SCV1! to restore my settings?

I also noticed that my Calendar and Messaging sounds and alerts were changed as well; let me know if you would like to see the "before" and "after" screenshots of those as well.

Thanks!

tanster
  7.    #107  
    Hi Jeff, I tried both of your suggestions, and neither of them worked.

Also, I have a dumb question: when you turn OFF a setting for an appointed time period, are the original settings supposed to be automatically restored at the end of that time period? Or do I need to explicitly include a "turn on" appointment following a "turn off" appointment?

For example, my phone settings normally look like this:

http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318232-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318234-S.jpg

I set a Datebk5 appointment with a note that includes !SCA0! !SCV0!, from 6:15pm to 6:16pm.

Then at 6:17pm, I go back to my settings, and see they have changed to the following:

http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318215-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318218-S.jpg

Should I have created another appointment starting at 6:16pm with a note that includes !SCA1! !SCV1! to restore my settings?

I also noticed that my Calendar and Messaging sounds and alerts were changed as well; let me know if you would like to see the "before" and "after" screenshots of those as well.

Thanks!

You do not need to manually restore your pre-appointment settings. The program saves the state of your settings brfore chagning them and then will restore then after the appointment is completed.

From the first set of screen shots I would have to guess that you have Vibrate on Zero values checked. I say this because it appears that your !SCV0! flags were not executed. This is because the !SCA0! will override the !SCV0! flag if you have vibrate at zero enabled.

I have seen this behavior during developement but only when there was corruption or major confusion in the data files. These problems have typically been fixed by completly uninstalling the program and then reinstalling. I know this is a stock answer but I can not reproduce the problem you are having. Category's work just fine for me. Lets try this one first. As for the tones changing to Alarm, this is a bug and I will track it down because it happened to me too.

Jeff
  8.    #108  
    I have posted a fix (v0.20b) for the loss of Tones when you use the !scAx! and the !scVx! flags.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, no, I have "Zero Volume gets Vibrate Set" unchecked.

Hmmm, I will keep fiddling with the settings. LOL, it's fun playing!

Here are the rest of my "before" and "after" settings:

Before:

http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318237-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318241-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318243-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318246-S.jpg

After:

http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318222-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318225-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318228-S.jpg http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/14318230-S.jpg

The Calendar Tones (2nd screen in each row) seems to have had the most extensive change of settings. Notice how the "Play Sound", "Repeat Alarm", and "Every" settings seem completely cleared, and the "Alarm Preset" number is some funky large number.

Woo-hoo, a new version! Thanks, Jeff, will uninstall b0.19 and install the new version pronto....

tanster
    dear jeff, could u go one step further by being able to make thip
    Thanks, Jeff, I can verify that the fix in version b0.20 worked! -- my Tones now restore completely.

Volumes still do not turn back on, though....

Last edited by tanster; 01/17/2005 at 01:09 AM.
    tanster
  12.    #112  
    Thanks, Jeff, I can verify that the fix in version b0.20 worked! -- my Tones now restore completely.

GOOD CALL! I found the bug that caused the volume to NOT be restored when the !scAx! flag completed. The new version (v0.21b) is posted at the top of this thread.

Again, nice catch!

I hope to be nearing official release of phase one of ScheduleCare by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. License keys should be running out soon for the early beta testers. Dig in and find those remaining bugs so you can be one of the 3 to get a free license key for this application!

Jeff
    Jeff, tried v0.21b, and my volume settings still don't come back (original alert volume = 1; but gets set to "Off"). Tried with "Zero Volume gets Vibrate Set" both checked and unchecked.

My Datebk5 appointment description says !SCA0! !SCV0! !SCD0!

tanster
  14.    #114  
    Jeff, tried v0.21b, and my volume settings still don't come back (original alert volume = 1; but gets set to "Off"). Tried with "Zero Volume gets Vibrate Set" both checked and unchecked.

Which volume setting does not get restored? Do some but not others?
  15.    #115  

I think I found the reason. Have posted v0.22b. Can you verify that it works now?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Which volume setting does not get restored? Do some but not others?
    The "Alert Volume" setting doesn't get restored in Phone|Volume, Calendar|Volume, and Messaging|Volume. In all cases, they're originally set to 1, but executing the SC command turns them all to "Off". See my screenshots from yesterday.

tanster
  17.    #117  
    The "Alert Volume" setting doesn't get restored in Phone|Volume, Calendar|Volume, and Messaging|Volume. In all cases, they're originally set to 1, but executing the SC command turns them all to "Off". See my screenshots from yesterday.

I am surprised. I thought that I had this problem fixed. It may be that v0.22b does fix this issue now.
    People Participating in Beta :
    Tymerock
    TR30
    Fittske
    Woof
    Meyerweb
    Tdhood
    Dutchtrumpet
    Tdjenkins
    Jloosli
    gt5l
    98GSR
    Meyerweb
    Beergeek
    Leadtrumpetdave
    100thMonkey
    Paulsjmail
    Ricochet
    TechDude
    Jquinn14
    Daddy1
    bkrodgers
    Jayzee
    MacJunkie
    Skydivewags
    Ancient_One
    Tanster

Count of unique bugs -- for contest.

Name
    Count
    98GSR
    I haven't extensively tested this, but my Treo650 will reset if I send the command !SCps0v0! when 'Sound Mode Off' in the Phone Alerts area is set to Vibrate (when the Silent Mode switch is turned on, the phone will Vibrate).
    Also, 'Zero volume gets vibrate set' is not checked.

100thMonkey

how well are people finding that the app works will several changes. For example, I had 5 different setups that each occured subsequento one another. So, one event was set for 2:40 -2:45, the next was set for 2:45-2:50, then 2:50 - 2:55 and so forth. the app was not able to transition smoothly between the various conditions that I set out. Such that the radio was not turned on and off appropraitely

Bkrodgers

I think many of us have run into the bug in which the "System Volume" preference (namely, OFF!!!) will randomly get lost. It still reads that it's off, but the sounds start going despite that.

Anyway I don't yet know for sure that ScheduleCare is the cause, but I believe that ever since installing it, the frequency with which this bug manifests itself has increased dramatically. Whereas before it'd happen every week or two, it now happens every few hours. Jeff, I'll continue to experiment with ScheduleCare on and off to see if I can tell you for sure it's to blame. Let me know what your thoughts are and if you need any more of a description.
    ----
    .10 still has this problem. I'm 95% sure it's related to ScheduleCare. If I have it enabled, it will very often lose its System Volume pref. It seems to start most often either during a hotsync or during the Vision connection problem. I'll hear a loud beep during the operation, and it'll then do system sounds until I go to the prefs apps and choose "Off" again.
    ----
    If anything, it seems the new version may be even worse. .11b gives the beep and flips the system sound back on even while i'm sitting idle in ZLauncher.

Tanster
    The "Alert Volume" setting doesn't get restored in Phone|Volume, Calendar|Volume, and Messaging|Volume.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running list of enhancement requests and status.

rom jeffgibson
    I am searching for a unique way of creating profiles and switching between them. I am open to any suggestions. My first thought was something at powerup for "active" profiles and then a GUI implementation for creation and management of profiles.

I am also curious to get people's impressions on the functionality that I have put into SC. And probably more important, what didn't I include that should be in the application.

From jloosli
    I don't have the DUN patch installed and the bluetooth control does not work for me (neither !scb0! nor !scb1!). I have verified that the display command and radio commands work.

One other suggestion: It would be great to be able to set up a default meeting setup, so I could always have my ringer automatically go to vibrate while in a meeting (without having to add the string to the appointment). You could do something for all appointments, or be able to set a default per calendar category (vibrate for business, extra loud for party, etc.)

From jeffgibson (response to jloosli).
    Based on category names? That's a good idea! Right now I was using the templates within DateBk5 but I like your idea. I'll think about the implementation for a day or so and then try to add it.

From gtl5
    can you include led control, similar to what ledoff offers.

From meyerweb
    I second the request to have a way to manually select a profile.

From tdjenkins
    It uses all it's own databases as appointments do not show up in the ROM calendar app. DataViz makes the product so I don't know how apt they would be to let someone access their data. If you allow access to profiles without a calendar trigger then I would certainly check it out.

From beergeek
    One way to do this might be to define profiles and then initiate that profile from either a calendar entry or from a pop-up list (I think it needs to have both options).

So you could define a set profile in ScheduleCare (say screen dim, all sounds off, led off, radio on as Night). Then in calendar set up at 9pm !SCONight! or pick Night from a popup list.

Personally I would most likely use the pop-up list more often.

From Fittske

I agree with meyerweb. I would like to see some "simple profile" controls as well as the scheduling functionality. it would become cumbersom to have to create a calender entry when ever I needed to change profiles. There are more times when I just need to change the current "state" of my treo:

For example......

With my treo 600 I had 3 profiles set:

* "Work"~ this profile turned volume to 1, changed the color theme, and also altered the states for all other sounds, (IM, SMS, Calendar etc.) And dimmed the backlight

* "Home"~ this profile turned the volume to 7 changed the color theme, and also altered the states for all other sounds, (IM, SMS, Calendar etc.) And brightened the backlight

* "Quite and Still"~ this turned all sounds to zero. And Forwarded all calls to a specified number.

I see your program being a 2-part app. First part would be simple profile management. And the second part being profile scheduling.

100thMonkey
    do you think that someday, we won't have to make Calender entries? that it will all be handled within the application itself?

From jeffgibson (response to 100thMonkey)
    Sure. Again this is the first implementation. It is something that I personally wanted to help me manage the Treo in a changing environment. When I am running from appointment to appointment, flight to flight, etc... I really wanted a calendar triggered profiler. It will be easily extendable once I get all of the functions working and the logic of switching and restoring states correct.

I saw your message above and will be working on that tonight. I have some corruption in my alarm handler somewhere that I am trying to track down. I think that is what is causing the missed events.

From paulsjmail
    I would also very much like to see this suggestion come to fruition. I know that a calendar based profile utility may be very useful to others, but for me, I need something that I can manually change whenever I need to. "Schedule Care" looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty full featured program. It would be great to be able to just hold down something like the "menu" key, and switch to the profile of your choice. Jeff, Is there any chance of having this occur?

From Fittske
    Here is my "Vision" for this app....

The user creates their "simple" profiles: setting volume, ringtones, color theme, wallpaper, call forwarding, bluethooth, etc. The user titles the profile and then saves......

Let's say the user creates three profiles: "Work", "home", and "no sound".

"Manual operation mode"

At any given time the user can manually toggle between saved profiles we could call this "manual operation mode" this mode would resemble Milan's profile app.

"Schedule Mode"

Users will have the ability to control their phone settings as dictated by scheduled events (what I would like to see....)

When activated, the program will pull all events from your datebook for a specified period. Time frame could be a single event, one days events, one weeks events etc. For each event, the user would have the ability to select a "created profile" for the duration of the event. Once that event is completed, the application would return to a "default" profile.

So lets say the user has an event: "Meeting from 1:00pm-2:00pm"

-From the setup menu, the user selects for the event "Meeting from 1:00pm-2:00pm"

-The user selects the created profile "no sound" for this event.

-The users current default profile is "work".

-At the start of the event the systems changes to the specified "no Sound" profile for the duration of the event.

- At the completion of the event, the system returns to the default profile, which was selected to be "work"

- I am however afraid that that app may get "too complicated" for the average user. Is it possible to make the "basic" profile part more intuitive? Here is what I mean....

Would it be possible to take your "command screen" and give each command a drop down selection feature? The user would go down the list of commands setting each command to their preference for ex ample:

Master sounds……………………….7
    Master Vibrate………………………on
    Phone Volume and Tones…….(maybe have this pull up the Sounds pref screen)
    Calendar Volume and Tones…(maybe have this pull up the Calendar pref screen)
    Email Volume and Tones……..(maybe have this pull up the email pref screen)
    SMS Volume and Tones………(maybe have this pull up the SMS pref screen)
    MMS Volume and Tones……..(maybe have this pull up the MMS pref screen)
    IM Volume and Tones…………(maybe have this pull up the IM pref screen)
    Radio Control………………….....ON
    Bluetooth Radio Control………(maybe have this pull up the Bluetooth pref screen)
    Display brightness……………...(maybe have this pull up the brightness pref screen)
    Hotsync'ing…………………….....yes

After user sets up their functionality, the user saves and names the profile, and the application compiles the functionality and creates the commands.

Now I am not a programmer by any means, and I do not know how difficult this would be to set up. But it seems that this app is getting more complicated and my make some stay away without a more intuitive app.

From jayzee
    I have a suggestion for this app. In the day I want to use vision to access the web, email, etc. At night at home I use Bluetooth DUN. It would be nice if after a certain time it changes the network connection to Bluetooth automatically.
    -- Go to prefs/network/service and switch the drop down arrow from pcs vision to bluetooth.

From skydivewags
    Jeff, how hard would it be to make an app, or add to this app, something that would alow you to make the days in your month view of your calendar different colors?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers! Please let me know if I have overlooked anything.
    Sorry, Jeff, still the same results.

tanster
  20.    #120  
    Sorry, Jeff, still the same results.

I know and I figured it out. I'm putting out a long post now to explain. Net-net is that I fixed it and version 0.23b is available.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast