Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    sure that makes sense, that way you can have a solid backbone of basic routines and can glorify afterwards
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    sure that makes sense, that way you can have a solid backbone of basic routines and can glorify afterwards
    That is my logic on this one. I learned with my other programs that if you worry about the looks before the functionality, you end up spending too much time working on too many issues.
    I second the profile change using the categories -- I'll give it a shot in a day or two. As far as the LED goes, I'd like it to notify me of any instant messages -- Butler seems to get reset with Verichat active...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    That is my logic on this one. I learned with my other programs that if you worry about the looks before the functionality, you end up spending too much time working on too many issues.
    I think that you should go with whatever you think is best. On the other hand, if you had a gui like Milan's profiles app, I don't think you could be accused of worrying about the looks of the program over the functionality. Like I said though, definitely nothing wrong with taking the tact you are on, thanks for what looks like is shaping up to be a great utility.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Here is my "Vision" for this app....

The user creates their "simple" profiles: setting volume, ringtones, color theme, wallpaper, call forwarding, bluethooth, etc. The user titles the profile and then saves......

Let's say the user creates three profiles: "Work", "home", and "no sound".

"Manual operation mode"

At any given time the user can manually toggle between saved profiles we could call this "manual operation mode" this mode would resemble Milan's profile app.

"Schedule Mode"

Users will have the ability to control their phone settings as dictated by scheduled events (what I would like to see....)

When activated, the program will pull all events from your datebook for a specified period. Time frame could be a single event, one days events, one weeks events etc. For each event, the user would have the ability to select a "created profile" for the duration of the event. Once that event is completed, the application would return to a "default" profile.

So lets say the user has an event: "Meeting from 1:00pm-2:00pm"

-From the setup menu, the user selects for the event "Meeting from 1:00pm-2:00pm"

-The user selects the created profile "no sound" for this event.

-The users current default profile is "work".

-At the start of the event the systems changes to the specified "no Sound" profile for the duration of the event.

- At the completion of the event, the system returns to the default profile, which was selected to be "work"

I hope this makes sense....
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Here is my "Vision" for this app....

The user creates their "simple" profiles: setting volume, ringtones, color theme, wallpaper, call forwarding, bluethooth, etc. The user titles the profile and then saves......

Let's say the user creates three profiles: "Work", "home", and "no sound".

"Manual operation mode"

At any given time the user can manually toggle between saved profiles we could call this "manual operation mode" this mode would resemble Milan's profile app.

"Schedule Mode"

Users will have the ability to control their phone settings as dictated by scheduled events (what I would like to see....)

When activated, the program will pull all events from your datebook for a specified period. Time frame could be a single event, one days events, one weeks events etc. For each event, the user would have the ability to select a "created profile" for the duration of the event. Once that event is completed, the application would return to a "default" profile.

So lets say the user has an event: "Meeting from 1:00pm-2:00pm"

-From the setup menu, the user selects for the event "Meeting from 1:00pm-2:00pm"

-The user selects the created profile "no sound" for this event.

-The users current default profile is "work".

-At the start of the event the systems changes to the specified "no Sound" profile for the duration of the event.

- At the completion of the event, the system returns to the default profile, which was selected to be "work"

I hope this makes sense....
    Nice work! I will incorporate these ideas.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Nice work! I will incorporate these ideas.
    Thanks! Keep up the great work!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Jeff! I'm gone from the forums for a week or so and you up and release a beta without me..... geesh.

I can't wait to test the app with the full GUI. I already have several appointments a day with a few different catagories, so a calendar implimentation would just cause too much clutter for me.

Thanks for all the hard work on this one. Sorry to hear your joining the rest of us in the "working world" again. I wish I could find the way out. The "working world" is the only thing keeping me from writing my own Treo apps. But I guess that's what you get for taking a job you don't have your heart in.

--TechDude
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    Jeff! I'm gone from the forums for a week or so and you up and release a beta without me..... geesh.

I can't wait to test the app with the full GUI. I already have several appointments a day with a few different catagories, so a calendar implimentation would just cause too much clutter for me.

Thanks for all the hard work on this one. Sorry to hear your joining the rest of us in the "working world" again. I wish I could find the way out. The "working world" is the only thing keeping me from writing my own Treo apps. But I guess that's what you get for taking a job you don't have your heart in.

--TechDude
    Vacation??? What's that??

If you use DateBk5 you can hide categories so you will not see any of the clutter. Also, if you have meetings, travel, etc appointments, then you can simply add flags to these appointments to have ScheduleCare make the appropriate setting changes for that particular appointment.

Jeff
    I am excited by the application you're working on, Jeff. I am just hesitant to try it out. It sounds more complex than I am ready for. I do use datebk5, but haven't taken it to a "power user" state. I am probably one of those who will just use the manual profile option. I am more than happy to test it (I haven't done a ROM update and I don't use the BT stuff) once that version comes out. Keep up the good work.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn14
    I am excited by the application you're working on, Jeff. I am just hesitant to try it out. It sounds more complex than I am ready for. I do use datebk5, but haven't taken it to a "power user" state. I am probably one of those who will just use the manual profile option. I am more than happy to test it (I haven't done a ROM update and I don't use the BT stuff) once that version comes out. Keep up the good work.
    It is really not that complicated and you don't need to do anything really special in DateBk5. In its simplest terms, put a !scA0! in any part of an appointment and your phone will automatically mute at the beginning of that appointment and un-mute at the end of the appointment. Pretty simple. True you can build some complex commands to vary sounds and tones for specific sound types.

DateBk5 makes it a little easier by allowing you to build templates so you can have a Meeting template that you use to create new meeting appointments. In the notes section of this template you can have a !scA0! or any other flag combination. Then when you create a new appointment from that template, you already have the flags set for ScheduleCare to use.

I also plan on adding support in SC that will allow you to build profiles for categories. So when you create an appointment with a specific category type you automatically get predetermined flags.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn14
    I am also waiting until "schedule care" has a simple graphical interface. It's not necessarily that it's too complicated for me, rather it's because I don't want my profile changes to have to be inputted into my calendar program (this is a useful option though). I may want to change my profile based on when I am driving home or when something sudden happens, a simple graphical interface would suffice.
    I think many of us have run into the bug in which the "System Volume" preference (namely, OFF!!!) will randomly get lost. It still reads that it's off, but the sounds start going despite that.

Anyway I don't yet know for sure that ScheduleCare is the cause, but I believe that ever since installing it, the frequency with which this bug manifests itself has increased dramatically. Whereas before it'd happen every week or two, it now happens every few hours. Jeff, I'll continue to experiment with ScheduleCare on and off to see if I can tell you for sure it's to blame. Let me know what your thoughts are and if you need any more of a description.

-Brian
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    I think many of us have run into the bug in which the "System Volume" preference (namely, OFF!!!) will randomly get lost. It still reads that it's off, but the sounds start going despite that.

Anyway I don't yet know for sure that ScheduleCare is the cause, but I believe that ever since installing it, the frequency with which this bug manifests itself has increased dramatically. Whereas before it'd happen every week or two, it now happens every few hours. Jeff, I'll continue to experiment with ScheduleCare on and off to see if I can tell you for sure it's to blame. Let me know what your thoughts are and if you need any more of a description.

-Brian
    SC could very well have been the cause. I found some significant bugs tonight that are fixed in v0.10b. Prior to I think v0.9 I was leaving volume settings in an unpredictable state at times.

INSTALLING UPDATES:

• When installing updates the safest thing to do is delete Sc completely before installing the new program.
    • I also have a "hidden" button just to the right of the label"
      "Appointment Conflict Rules" that if pushed will completely clean the internal structures for each command type. If you do not delete the program before installation, I would suggest hitting this button after installation.
    WARNING
    If you are playing with the system clock to trigger events to happen, this can lead to a very confused and unpredictable volume settings. If you are using this method of testing the functionality, then I would suggest returning the internal SC databases to a fresh state by hitting the hidden button described above.

Enjoy....

Jeff
  15.    #55  

-Brian
    A second note on the system volume set to off and still getting sounds. I have this even when SC is not installed. It seems that I simply can NOT turn off all sounds!! What's up with that? I can't do it through the preferences setting and I can not do it programatically! I think we can chalk this one up to yet another in a growing list of Treo 650 bugs. I found another one today where registering for phone event notifications and then letting the 650 go to sleep will drain the battery at an increased rate! Don't you just love how this device behaves?

Jeff
    Yeah, I wasn't at all accusing your software of causing the bug, just possibly merely increasing the frequency. So, I take it you've tried to see if you can fix it...is there a way that we can report this to Palm?
  17.    #57  
    Yeah, I wasn't at all accusing your software of causing the bug, just possibly merely increasing the frequency. So, I take it you've tried to see if you can fix it...is there a way that we can report this to Palm?
    No problem. Sorry if I came off thinking you were blaming me. Did not mean to have it sound like that at all. I just am getting frustrated at all of the quality problems with this device!
    You and me both!
    I have a suggestion for this app. In the day I want to use vision to access the web, email, etc. At night at home I use Bluetooth DUN. It would be nice if after a certain time it changes the network connection to Bluetooth automatically.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    I have a suggestion for this app. In the day I want to use vision to access the web, email, etc. At night at home I use Bluetooth DUN. It would be nice if after a certain time it changes the network connection to Bluetooth automatically.
    What process do you do manually to make this change?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast