Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
    will do so now - see EDIT in my previous post...
    Also, I'm on AIM if your interested in something more realtime...

EDIT: 2 tests so far after wipe/reinstall - all is looking good. That said, I'm wondering is the current scheme of having these events span a duration really makes the most sense. I'll try to explain my reasoning:

Duration (Current) Style:

Phone turned off by a scheduled event. I try to manually turn on the phone to make an emergency call but it turns itself right back off again

Bluetooth is turned off by a scheduled event when I need to use it to send or receive a contact, use headset etc. so I turn it on and it gets turned off right away by SC.

Basicly, all settings are strictly enforced by SC - no way to override without disabling SC or editing events.

Point In Time Style:

SC can turn on/off or set any setting at the scheduled time and that setting stays untill another event changes or the setting is manually changed.

This way the user is in total control of the device.

This should work with manual profiles and scheduled profiles by executing a series of commands to set things correctly at point of execution.

This makes the device more flexable at all times as I'm able to change things on the fly without having to fight SC to do it.

Now, if we stay with the current implementation, When we schedule profiles, it would seem that manually selecting a profile would cause odd effects due to the scheduled profile wanting to override the manual profiles settings and enforce the currently effective scheduled settings.

I also think it's much easier to think about the settings as if there were no durations.

I think a profile SHOULD be allowed to (SortOf) have a duration but a command should not. A profiles duration would be defined by a start and end event. Those events execute at the start and end times but are NOT enforced in between.

For example: Daytime Work profile in effect. A meeting is scheduled in my calendar with a category of Meeting. This triggers Meeting profile the start of the meeting. At the end of the meeting the Daytime Work profile is re triggered. So If I need to make a call during the meeting, I can turn on the phone and use it but the alert sounds and such are still off since I didn't manually change them. After I turned the phone on during the meeting It should remain on unless I turn it back off or until another event triggers the phone off command.

All SC's engine would need to do is watch the calendar of events not yet processed and compare with the current time then execute them in the order specified in the calendar.

Am I making sense here ? Am I missing something major that makes the duration model far better than what I'm suggesting ?

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 01/27/2005 at 02:26 PM.
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Hi Jeff, I should have some docs for you sometime this weekend.

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
  3.    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    will do so now - see EDIT in my previous post...
    Also, I'm on AIM if your interested in something more realtime...

EDIT: 2 tests so far after wipe/reinstall - all is looking good. That said, I'm wondering is the current scheme of having these events span a duration really makes the most sense. I'll try to explain my reasoning:

Duration (Current) Style:

Phone turned off by a scheduled event. I try to manually turn on the phone to make an emergency call but it turns itself right back off again

That is not the right behavior! I will change this ASAP.

Bluetooth is turned off by a scheduled event when I need to use it to send or receive a contact, use headset etc. so I turn it on and it gets turned off right away by SC.

Basicly, all settings are strictly enforced by SC - no way to override without disabling SC or editing events.
    This is not the right behavior! I want SC to change Treo settings ONLY at the start and the end of appointments. The time in between the start/end should allow you to chagne whatever you want to change. Again I will fix this ASAP.

Point In Time Style:

SC can turn on/off or set any setting at the scheduled time and that setting stays untill another event changes or the setting is manually changed.
    This was not the design criteria of SC. I really wanted a set and forget mechanism. The set and leave set until changed will be the design of the manual profile mode.

Now, if we stay with the current implementation, When we schedule profiles, it would seem that manually selecting a profile would cause odd effects due to the scheduled profile wanting to override the manual profiles settings and enforce the currently effective scheduled settings.
    See my priority rank ordering I listed a few posts ago to handle this kind of situation.

I also think it's much easier to think about the settings as if there were no durations.
    Again I think this is convered in the manual profile mode coming in Phase II
  4.    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    Hi Jeff, I should have some docs for you sometime this weekend.

That's awesome!
    Jeff-

After the remove/reinstall of SC yesterday, all seems to be working nicely. I have an !scR0! !scZ! from 2:30 am through 7:00 am. My backup is scheduled at 3:00 am. At 2:30 the phone turned off and the 650 did it's soft reset. at 3:00 my backup ran without error and at 7:00 the phone turned back on. Most Excellent

Next question: Yesterday, I started looking at some of your other apps. (CradleCare and ScreenCare) How is ScheduleCare going to coexist with those ? There seem to be some overlapping or conflicting features.

-X
    Xathros

6.    #246  
    Jeff-

After the remove/reinstall of SC yesterday, all seems to be working nicely. I have an !scR0! !scZ! from 2:30 am through 7:00 am. My backup is scheduled at 3:00 am. At 2:30 the phone turned off and the 650 did it's soft reset. at 3:00 my backup ran without error and at 7:00 the phone turned back on. Most Excellent
    Very nice!

Next question: Yesterday, I started looking at some of your other apps. (CradleCare and ScreenCare) How is ScheduleCare going to coexist with those ? There seem to be some overlapping or conflicting features.

-X
    Well, there is little conflict with those app's. There are some intersections like HotSync'ing in CradleCare but there is no intersection with ScreenCare. I do plan on building integrations so all of the apps talk to one another. I have already done this for ScreenCare and CradleCare.

Jeff
    A little late and sorry about no updates in awhile. I just got back from a Hong Kong trip that was longer than I expected. I have also confirmed the latest version works great and don't have an issue with any loops (of course I never did). Probably didn't use the features the same. So as far as cost I agree with the some of the previous price points. Here is the price breakdown -

1. Full Feature = 19.95
    2. Basic Feature no GUI = either 5.00 or 8.00

I don't like the NAG free but would vote for a timed NAG free version say around 15 days before it either fails / stops working.

and tanster let me know if ya need any help with the 1.0 doc.

Cheers!
    Jeff, here is the first draft of the docs. There are some questions in there highlighted in PINK.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for other stuff to document!

Attached Files Attached Files
    tanster
    Quote Originally Posted by vandee2004
    and tanster let me know if ya need any help with the 1.0 doc.
    Thanks for the offer, vandee! It would be great if you could take a look at my first draft (attached in my previous post) and see if anything is missing or incorrect. The more eyes that look at it, the better....

tanster
    Thanks for the offer, vandee! It would be great if you could take a look at my first draft (attached in my previous post) and see if anything is missing or incorrect. The more eyes that look at it, the better....

Go it. I will check it over tonight and let you know. Thanks for all of the hard work!
    Build 40 notes

Task 1: Executing A, V, and D commands
    Commands run: !SCA0! !SCV0! !SCD0!
    Did screen dim and turn itself back on at correct times? YES
    When calling myself during execution period, were all sounds/vibrations silenced? YES
    When sending myself a text message during execution period, were all sound/vibration notifications silenced? YES
    Were all original prefs restored after execution period? NO, alert volumes stayed "Off" instead of restoring to "1" (see my original settings in posts #106 and #109)

Task 2: Executing P and S commands, specifying tone names
    Commands run: !SCPS7V0K(Chirp)U(Chirp)! !SCSS7V0T(Klavier)!
    When calling myself during execution period, was P command run correctly? YES
    When sending myself a text message during execution period, was S command run correctly? YES
    Were all original prefs restored after execution period? YES

Task 3: Using Category Manager
    Set up as in post #129 in this thread
    Did screen dim and turn itself back on at correct times? NO

Hmm, I have never gotten Category Manager to work for me, in any build! Jeff, I am using DateBk5 floating events to enter SC commands. Does that have something to do with it, maybe?

tanster
    tanster -- I will send you some updates to your document a little later this morning (I can also answer some of the questions as well). Also great document and awesome follow through. btw I like your pics (I need that case now that I have seen your pics).

Cheers!
  13.    #253  
    Build 40 notes

Task 1: Executing A, V, and D commands
    Commands run: !SCA0! !SCV0! !SCD0!
    Did screen dim and turn itself back on at correct times? YES
    When calling myself during execution period, were all sounds/vibrations silenced? YES
    When sending myself a text message during execution period, were all sound/vibration notifications silenced? YES
    Were all original prefs restored after execution period? NO, alert volumes stayed "Off" instead of restoring to "1" (see my original settings in posts #106 and #109)

Task 2: Executing P and S commands, specifying tone names
    Commands run: !SCPS7V0K(Chirp)U(Chirp)! !SCSS7V0T(Klavier)!
    When calling myself during execution period, was P command run correctly? YES
    When sending myself a text message during execution period, was S command run correctly? YES
    Were all original prefs restored after execution period? YES

Task 3: Using Category Manager
    Set up as in post #129 in this thread
    Did screen dim and turn itself back on at correct times? NO

Hmm, I have never gotten Category Manager to work for me, in any build! Jeff, I am using DateBk5 floating events to enter SC commands. Does that have something to do with it, maybe?

I have posted an official release candidate version of ScheduleCare. That solves your first set of issues.

I just tried floating appointments with the category manager and it worked for me. Don't know what is happening on your end. We probably need to dig into this more.

As for your Q's in the doc:

Allow overlapping means the following:

if there are multiple valid (non-repeating) calendar events for the same command, SC should execute the command that is closest to the current time.

Start_a1------------------------------------------------End_a1
    .............................Start_a2------------------End_a2
    ..................................................|
    .................................................Now

In this example Start_a2 would execute only if Allow Overlapping option was enabled.

Zero Values allplies only to the !sca0! command. If enabled it will make sure that the vibrate settings for all sounds will automatically set set to on.

Profiles Button has been removed for phase I GA.
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 01/30/2005 at 10:32 PM.
    Tanster-

Nice work on the docs. What are you using for the Treo screenshots ?

-X
    Xathros

tanster -- I will send you some updates to your document a little later this morning (I can also answer some of the questions as well). Also great document and awesome follow through. btw I like your pics (I need that case now that I have seen your pics).
    Thanks, vandee! I have a new case on order...the Krusell, which TC has recently added to its store!

Nice work on the docs. What are you using for the Treo screenshots ?
    Thanks, Xathros! I used ScreenShot5.

tanster
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I have posted an official release candidate version of ScheduleCare. That solves your first set of issues.

I just tried floating appointments with the category manager and it worked for me. Don't know what is happening on your end. We probably need to dig into this more.

As for your Q's in the doc:

Allow overlapping means the following:

if there are multiple valid (non-repeating) calendar events for the same command, SC should execute the command that is closest to the current time.

Start_a1------------------------------------------------End_a1
    .............................Start_a2------------------End_a2
    ..................................................|
    .................................................Now

In this example Start_a2 would execute only if Allow Overlapping option was enabled.

Zero Values allplies only to the !sca0! command. If enabled it will make sure that the vibrate settings for all sounds will automatically set set to on.

Profiles Button has been removed for phase I GA.
    Thanks for the answers, Jeff! I will revise the docs and post a new copy tomorrow.

tanster
    Since I have upgraded to pre-release 1.5 my phone will not shut off -- I will try to remove and re-install (maybe I needed to remove the previous release?).

Also as for the Document (tanster) great job! You definitely have the touch for pulling something like this together. No major issues to call out.
  18.    #258  
    Thanks for the answers, Jeff! I will revise the docs and post a new copy tomorrow.

You are awesome! You asked earlier for my email address: cradlecare@wideopenwest.com
  19.    #259  
    Since I have upgraded to pre-release 1.5 my phone will not shut off -- I will try to remove and re-install (maybe I needed to remove the previous release?).

Also as for the Document (tanster) great job! You definitely have the touch for pulling something like this together. No major issues to call out.
    That may be it. I know that is one of the things I tested. Try this first before you uninstall. Disable SC and exit the program. Then re-enter and re-enable.

Then if that does not work, hit the hidden button and see if it works.

Tanster - these are probably good things to put in the FAQ section for how to clear the internal tables.

Jeff
  20.    #260  
    Jeff, here is the first draft of the docs. There are some questions in there highlighted in PINK.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for other stuff to document!

This program has only been tested on the Treo family (600/650) of devices.

Additional things to add to the document:

• Turn off your Treo's phone when your plane leaves and automatically turn it back on when you land.
    • Automatically change your ring tone on the weekends to something fun and return it to busniess professional on Monday morning.
    • Automatically dim your dispaly in the evening and brighten it during the day.
    Categories appear to only work on the Treo 650. It is true that the 600 default calendar does not support categories but DateBk5 does. My testing shows that even with DateBk5, categories do not work on the 600. I will release a v1.6 that will detect if you are on a 600 and remove the category button if it finds that you are running a 600.

Lets add a section on entering the registration key. Send me your HotSync ID so I can send you a registration key. I also have a utility that I threw together that will display the HotSync ID if users are having problems finding their HotSync ID's. I have attached it here for your review and inclusion in the docs.

We might also want to show the precedence order of the different commands. For example if you have !scA0! !scPs7! that all sounds will be turned off but then the Phone volume will be set to 7.

Thanks for all of your hard work! The doc looks great!!!!

Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files