Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    One last thought. There are going to be people who react to all the capabilities of this app by throwing up their hands and giving up because it's "too complicated." Once you have the GUI all done, you might consider offering a "lite" version that contains only the manually set profiles. I think it could prove to be very popular.
    That sounds like a good idea. I'm pretty sure I'd want the pro version tho.

BTW: I love your sig.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    That sounds like a good idea. I'm pretty sure I'd want the pro version tho.

I second that notion!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I know you can't copy Milan's profile app but maybe you could use it as a guideline. I thought the app was perfect in the GUI & it's simplicity. All I had to do was hold down the option key to switch profiles quickly & the app was set through a panel in preferences. How could I post a screenshot for the profiles app? I don't even have a Treo 600 anymore. Have you used the profile app for the Treo 600? Thanx for all your hard work Jeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I know you can't copy Milan's profile app but maybe you could use it as a guideline. I thought the app was perfect in the GUI & it's simplicity. All I had to do was hold down the option key to switch profiles quickly & the app was set through a panel in preferences. How could I post a screenshot for the profiles app? I don't even have a Treo 600 anymore. Have you used the profile app for the Treo 600? Thanx for all your hard work Jeff!
    Treoneo-

I'm thinking that there will be basic profile functionality that meets your needs in SC not too far down the road here. It's looking like all involved at this point are in agreement on that part.

I also would like to know how to get a screenshot of the 650. I tried screenshot but it just resets the 650.

-X
    Xathros

Yes you're probably right that there will be an app that I personally feel comfortable with down the line. Jeff just started the new GUI part of it. I just hope that it won't be bloated & pricey. Because the other profiles app was free! Also I am very Treo literate & can NOT figure out how to set manual profiles in Jeff's app. It is not simple. Anyway, I guess all we can do is wait. But again I appreciate all youe effort Jeff as if it weren't for you & shadowmite & silverado & others we would have entirely different devices! Thanx all!
  6.    #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    I disagree.....

This is one of the features of Milan's profile app that was very useful. There will be a lot of users that will not want to use "scheduled" profiles. I think there needs to be an ability to "manually" Select a created profile, and have this "selected" profile run infinitely until the user decided to "manually" change profiles.

This is when the "active profile notifier" was very useful. Whenever the screen would go into "sleep" mode and then awakened, the "active profile notifier" would briefly appear, let the user know what current profile was active, and then disappear.

Not sure if manual profiles has been discussed........

Let's say I have a work profile and a Home profile. Since the time I get to work varies I would never be able to create a set time to for Schedule care to take effect. So when I get in to work I would "manually" set my "work" profile. Now I may be at work 4 hrs, 8 hrs, 10 hrs..... so i would need my work profile to stay in effect until I leave work. When I leave work, i would then select my home profile, and this profile would stay in effect until changed.

Do you think Schedule Care could have two modes of operation?

Manual mode and Schedule Mode?
    Just a quick note as I am still travling but there *will* be manual profiles. Perhaps I need to post some design requirements or maybe vendee can do that for me that nets out what we are coming up with here.
  7.    #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    That somebody was me

I am not saying that you have to "navigate" through your treo in order to setup your profile. What I was saying was to utilize the standard palm interfaces within schedule care. For example when a user goes to set up their profile settings for Phone, Calendar, SMS, and MMS Volume, the user (in schedule care) selects "set volume" and this pulls up the "standard" volume pref. screen. Once the user completes the volume set up, they would select "done" and then be returned to schedule care to set the next profile setting.
    That is one method of implementation but I already have the engine created to do state changes with the API. I would prefer to not introduce another engine for these changes. Good idea though.
  8.    #188  
    OK. I see you point. So, can we have Optional profile notification at ScreenOn ?

And Yes. I and others have talked much about manual profile selection. My feeling is that manual selection should override all other triggers at point of selection. So if you don't schedule profiles or setup location driven profiles, all you have left is manual selection and it works as you have indicated. A quick press of the hotkey (definable) brings up the profile screen - tap the profile you want and your done. (At least in my vision of this...)

-X
    I have no problem including this as a selectable option.
  9.    #189  
    Hmmm. OK. I guess as long as I can get to the various setting screens from one place then it won't be too bad. So on the profile editor screen, I select a profile and click sounds & alerts which takes me to the standard Treo Sounds&Alerts screen then returns to profile editor where I select Bluetooth. I am presented with the Treo's bluetooth screen then returned to the editor again. And, what about those things that the Treo doen't have a screen for ? Like Phone On/Off, Keyboard Lights On/Off, LED State etc. Still seems like a simple tabbed dialog with Radios, Sounds, Lights on the editor screen would be simpler (and quicker) for some of this tho.

I do see the value in the interface consistancy. That said, I'm not sure it's even possible to do that from the profile editor without actually changing the Treo's current settings. Lets say during my lunch break I want to change the profile settings for my night profile. Using the Treo's built in screens to change thiese settings may actually change the current (Work) settings. I'm not sure that the output of those screens can be isolated, recorded in the profile but not applied to the current Treo settings.. I guess Jeff would be the one to answer that tho.

Either way, I don't thinks this issue is a show stopper. But useability is key for me and having to navigate through 4 or 5 screens rather than one tabbed screen just seems clunky to me.

Jeff-

Could you comment on wether it would be easier to use the internal (existing) Treo screens or build your own ?

-X
    Again, I'm really in the camp of using the engine I have already created to do the state changes. That means that I need to recreate the interface for setting those options. I also like the idea of having one lok and feel for the GUI. If I used the Palm screens then I have a different interface for tones than I have for BlueTooth and phone forwarding. Also there are no GUI controls in the Palm for 2 sound controls (mms and Alerts).
    Here's another thought. We'll have these predefined profiles that we set up via the GUI. It'd be nice to be able to use those in the category manager as well as in appointments themselves. So, for example, if I set up a profile for "Low Volume", which might have 3 or more commands, I can just do something like !scLowVolume! to trigger it in an appointment.
  11.    #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    Here's another thought. We'll have these predefined profiles that we set up via the GUI. It'd be nice to be able to use those in the category manager as well as in appointments themselves. So, for example, if I set up a profile for "Low Volume", which might have 3 or more commands, I can just do something like !scLowVolume! to trigger it in an appointment.
    So you mean be able to use a profile name as/in place of the !sc! flag? Isn't this case handled with scheduling in the profile manager?

Or or you trying to simplify the !sc! commands by giving them a symbolic name?

Jeff
    Is there any place that we can go to find a brief overview of how SC works so far, w/o reading all 190+ replies to this thread? I'm a little late joining the bandwagon, but I definately see a need for this app. I downloaded it, but I can't figure out how to use most of it (and I'd consider myself a power user). Any FAQ's anyone could point me to?
  13.    #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    Is there any place that we can go to find a brief overview of how SC works so far, w/o reading all 190+ replies to this thread? I'm a little late joining the bandwagon, but I definately see a need for this app. I downloaded it, but I can't figure out how to use most of it (and I'd consider myself a power user). Any FAQ's anyone could point me to?
    Well the concept is this: ScheduleCare (in its current form) is a calendar based profile application. You build profiles by entering commans into calendar entries to control the Treo's behavior. For example if you want your phone to automatically mute at the beginning of a meeting and unmute at the end of the meeting, you would put this flag in either the description or the note for the meeting's calendar entry: !scA0!. There are 15 or so commands that are documented in the application under the command button. Now just reciently, I added the ability to build command strings and associate them to calendar categories. So now you just have to create the appointment and assign it to a category.

I am concluding phase 1 of developement very quickly now and you are seeing people talking about phase 2's GUI design in the more recient posts.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
    Jeff-

I'm thinking that this will all get much easier once we can define/build profiles via the profile editor. Then in the calendar, we should be able to select (call) a profile for an event rather than build command strings. I would like to see this done by using event categories.

So, In my list of profiles, I will have some triggered by day/time, some triggered by location and some untriggered that are called by calendar categories (meeting, ballgame etc.)

On the calendar entries, it would be nice if they were called by the calendar entry's category somehow. Thay way, we could easily identify the profile by the category name rather than by a cryptic command string.

On the main tab of the profile editor we will have a drop down list of the current available profiles then a drop down with trigger type choices like: Day/Time, BT Location, Category in a drop down then below that the specific confiruration based on the above choice. The remaining tabs will be for setting all of the options on sounds, lights etc for the selected profile.

Thoughts ?

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 01/22/2005 at 09:27 AM.
    Xathros

15.    #195  
    Jeff-

I'm thinking that this will all get much easier once we can define/build profiles via the profile editor. Then in the calendar, we should be able to select (call) a profile for an event rather than build command strings. I would like to see this done by using event categories.

So, In my list of profiles, I will have some triggered by day/time, some triggered by location and some untriggered that are called by calendar categories (meeting, ballgame etc.)

On the calendar entries, it would be nice if they were called by the calendar entry's category somehow. Thay way, we could easily identify the profile by the category name rather than by a cryptic command string.

On the main tab of the profile editor we will have a drop down list of the current available profiles then a drop down with trigger type choices like: Day/Time, BT Location, Category in a drop down then below that the specific confiruration based on the above choice. The remaining tabs will be for setting all of the options on sounds, lights etc for the selected profile.

Thoughts ?

-X
    Well I have thought of the concept of naming profiles in calendar entries. The only problem is how to scan and identify the profile names. That is why i went the command flags in the first place. They are very predictable and identifiable. Then I simplified the usability with calendar categories. I think all of this will come full circle once we get the GUI nailed down.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Or or you trying to simplify the !sc! commands by giving them a symbolic name?

Jeff
    Yep, pretty much.
    I created a category "Meeting" in SC. In the command section for this I entered !SCPS2V1K(Alert Beep)U(Treo)! I created an appointment around the current time, set it to category Meeting, and called my Treo. I got my normal rings, not what I entered in the the command area of the Meeting category. Am I doing this wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Just a quick note as I am still travling but there *will* be manual profiles. Perhaps I need to post some design requirements or maybe vendee can do that for me that nets out what we are coming up with here.
    Jeff -- I will post an update later tonight with the info. laid out in a readable format. Cheers!
  19.    #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    I created a category "Meeting" in SC. In the command section for this I entered !SCPS2V1K(Alert Beep)U(Treo)! I created an appointment around the current time, set it to category Meeting, and called my Treo. I got my normal rings, not what I entered in the the command area of the Meeting category. Am I doing this wrong?
    Well I don't know. I have seen this a couple of times myself but just when I thought it was not working, I went and found another calendar entry that took precedence over the one I thought was active. Not saying this is what happened to you.

I have also encountered some errors that I need to fix where during hotsync activity or when other applications keep the calendar open for long periods and/or make many changes at the same time. I need to keep SC from looking at the calendar at those times. What I have seen is SC read incorrect state information. This could also be what is happening to you.

The last thing I have seen is that when you shutdown and powerup the radio, the phone's time and date get set to some pretty wierd dates/times during the powerup sequence if you have the automatically set time based on the Sprint network enabled. This also has lead to some unexpected behavior in BC.

Jeff
    Something weird is hapening to my screen & I'm wondering if it's schedulecare; When you hit the option & right shift key, the screen is supposed to dim but now it just turns off. I did a soft reset & deleted unsaved preferences but it's still messed. The only app I installed recently was schedulecare. Anyone else?