1.    #1  
    I went to the sprint store to test out the Treo 650 and it reset a total of 3 times in the 5 minutes I was using it. Is this common? I see reset problems on the board, but of course you are going to see people with problems more than without because happy people dont take the time to log in and complain. SO.... anyone have advice? Right now I have an olllld sanyo 4900 so I am looking for an upgrade, but I dont want something that is basically being beta tested by the public.
    I used my Treo 650 for the first time today and it reset once while using Blazer.
    I've had mine almost 2 weeks and it has never reset. I have also read posts about resetting, so I must assume it is isolated to certain units or particular software.
  4.    #4  
    Ive had my Treo now for 4 days. Here is what I am running, ( I am running all on rom btw)

Patched the ROM via Shadowmite to fix the AWFUL MIC problem.

Installed the following software
    Docs to Go Professional
    PalmVNC ( this works amazingly well btw)
    Mergic VPN
    Kinoma Player 3 EX
    Tetris

I have an SD card with MPEG4 video on it an THAT is cool.

I havent had a reset yet. I think the problem for the most part is loading too much software on it. It reminds me of going to my clients house to fix his computer. The complaint is "its running slow" When start looking in task manager, I see 50+ apps running. I just think to my self... DUH! The more apps you have, the more probability you are going to have problems. I heard a guy say he has 80 apps on his palm. I am sure he has a use for all 80 apps, but I dont, so I dont load them on. Just my 2 cents. NOW I GO KNOCK ON WOOD.
    I get about one spontaneous soft reset a week. It does not appear to be linked to any one particular app. It hardly ever happens during the course of regular use, but rather in the evenings or on weekends when I am playing around with new apps, installing, deleting, etc.
    Do a search, there are a number of threads that discuss the issue and have the solution for some of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by orgazmo
    I went to the sprint store to test out the Treo 650 and it reset a total of 3 times in the 5 minutes I was using it. Is this common?
    Nothing close to this ever happened to me. I currently get one reset a week or so. Frankly, one reset every few days, or even once a day, should be expected if you think about it. How often do you have to reboot your home PC if you're running Windows? Granted Windows 2000 and XP often do not require frequent rebooting but their performance keeps deteriorating the longer they are running until you reboot them. This doesn't say this is a good thing, it is just how the state of the art is today.
  8.    #8  
    You cant compare Palm OS with ANY windows release. Its like comparing building a one story house to a sky scraper Also, I reboot my home PC one every few weeks at most. One reboot a week is really unacceptable if the palm is running ONLY palm certified software.

Who knows that people did to that phone in the sprint store. That very well could be the reason for the resets there. Mine is running great now.
    Quote Originally Posted by orgazmo
    You cant compare Palm OS with ANY windows release. Its like comparing building a one story house to a sky scraper Also, I reboot my home PC one every few weeks at most. One reboot a week is really unacceptable if the palm is running ONLY palm certified software.

Who knows that people did to that phone in the sprint store. That very well could be the reason for the resets there. Mine is running great now.
    I respectively disagree about the comparison to Windows. Sure, Windows runs longer and seems more stable, however it has vastly more resources than the Treo. Give Windows little ram and no hard drive and imagine how it would run Plus, with heavy use, a Windows desktop needs a reboot every couple of days at the most for it to perform the same way it did when it was rebooted. Again, its vast resources in comparison allows it to mask the waste that takes place. And if a Windows machine with those resources needs a reboot every couple of days to be as good as new, it's no wonder that the Treo needs it too.

My point is that there is no comparable device that can do significantly better. My 650 is not resetting any more than the 600 was. So this is the state of the art and we have to live with it. It will get better though. A real mutitasking OS with memory protection (e.g., Cobalt) could go a long way in this direction.
    Last edited by silverado; 01/07/2005 at 02:02 PM.
    I am running every program I used on the 600 - including lightwav - and I find the 650 to be more stable than the 600 was! 1-2 resets per week.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Since creating my own ROM I have had very few resets. There are a few things that will cause them, but nothing that's a big deal.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Probably 50 of my 80 apps are games that live on an SD card.

My 650 crashes 10-15 times a week, mostly in Blazer.

After the first Sprint update to my 600 it crashed *maybe* 4 or 5 times in a *year*.
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
    After giving up on VersaMail, i'm happy to say that my treo has not crashed at all. The downside is that i check my email via the web now as I'm too cheap to get snappermail.

The only app I have installed on it is VeriChat, and that hasn't crashed on me at all.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I've had mine since Thanksgiving week, had a few resets, mostly when trying new software (VersaMail blew chunks for awhile until I deleted the files recommended, been running fine since). I get about 1 reset every two weeks, no problems with Blazer at all...