Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000780025763/

Interestingly, the Apple iPhone is the most anticipated gadget for next year. The faith has been lost in the Treo line (for good reason in my view).
    Hmm, seeing that their readers selected many Apple products while they always selected something from the PC side I wonder how balanced their choices are?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I can understand that...All Palm had to do was improve the current device. They didn't. They didn't improve the memory capacity, rather they kept it the same AND made it LESS efficient. They added bluetooth that screws up alot. They made the phone application respond slower to input. They changed the connectors so now everyone who "upgrades" needs new accessories.

It is still a great device, and I want one (hell, I have one on the way, eventually from VC). Nevertheless, everyone had their hopes up that Palm would do it properly and they were let down. Even though it is a good product, it is a big dissappointment.

It's kinda like what BMW did with the new 5-series...a number of improvements, but they screwed up and made it into a sissy looking Pontiac. I'd rather a GTO.
    At least they weren't stupid enough to pick the iPod as gadget of the year. They are the worst sounding MP3 players and are marketed towards suckers who don't know any better.
    Well, i kind of have to agree with Noob on the Ipod. Not that it sounds bad, but it's way-overhyped and there are much better players that are multimedia and cheaper.
    Hey...I was a long time Treo 600 user and I LOVE the new Treo 650. Yes it has some issues but over all is a very worthy upgrade. So I totally disagree with your assesment of the Treo 650.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZGT
    Hmm, seeing that their readers selected many Apple products while they always selected something from the PC side I wonder how balanced their choices are?
    I'm surprised that Engadget (not the readership) chose the Treo 650. Definitely balanced as they are running a Treo 650 ad on the home page right now (it would have been in their best financial interest to leave the Treo 650 alone). Also, in following Engadget throughout last year, they were giddy with excitement about the 650 until bad user reports started coming in (memory, no wifi sd support, BT Dun (initially), bad sound quality, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    Also, in following Engadget throughout last year, they were giddy with excitement about the 650 until bad user reports started coming in (memory, no wifi sd support, BT Dun (initially), bad sound quality, etc.).
    so obviously they were very disappointed. i don't see why you're confused.
    Devices are bound to have growing pains. The 600 was a huge leap from the 300 and they really "nailed it" perfectly. Handspring/Palm could have "nailed" the 650 too if it had more memory ad working bluetooth/wifi drivers. Customer expectations were set higher than what PalmOne delivered, but the 650 is still a damn nice device, even with the current problems. It's good enough for the hacker crowd but eventually they'll have to get good enough to please the "I just want to put gas in it and go" crowd. That will mean bundling/selling/prompting software solutions for different profiles of users. Bundling the "read/write" version of DTG on the 650 is a step in that direction.
    As a hacker type, I think they are doing fine, but the device reliability had much to be desired and that's the reason I would not recommend Treos to my friends. If the next Treo (700?) overcomes the reliability issues, then PalmOne will be safe while they experiment with new OS's on next generation devices for early adopters. The masses can stay with a more reliable Treo for 2-3 years and be happy.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    That's interesting. I guess it depends on the expectations. My Treo 650 has exceeded all my expectations. I've had it almost 2 weeks and I really love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy
    Devices are bound to have growing pains. The 600 was a huge leap from the 300 and they really "nailed it" perfectly.
    Oh? Wasn't the 600 notorious for needing to be replaced? Wasn't there problems with buzzing? Weren't many people disappointed with it having a low res screen?

I agree with you on the growing pains part, though. It's just that sometimes we forget the 600 fell into that category as well, rather than being nailed. After the 650's wrinkles get ironed out we'll be glossing over them in a year as well
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dethman
    so obviously they were very disappointed. i don't see why you're confused.
    I wasn't really confused as much as making my point to that Engadget isn't biased against the 650.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy
    Devices are bound to have growing pains. The 600 was a huge leap from the 300 and they really "nailed it" perfectly. Handspring/Palm could have "nailed" the 650 too if it had more memory ad working bluetooth/wifi drivers. Customer expectations were set higher than what PalmOne delivered, but the 650 is still a damn nice device, even with the current problems. It's good enough for the hacker crowd but eventually they'll have to get good enough to please the "I just want to put gas in it and go" crowd. That will mean bundling/selling/prompting software solutions for different profiles of users. Bundling the "read/write" version of DTG on the 650 is a step in that direction.
    As a hacker type, I think they are doing fine, but the device reliability had much to be desired and that's the reason I would not recommend Treos to my friends. If the next Treo (700?) overcomes the reliability issues, then PalmOne will be safe while they experiment with new OS's on next generation devices for early adopters. The masses can stay with a more reliable Treo for 2-3 years and be happy.
    I agree that they will have to please the gas-n-go crowd. I think the combo of iPhone (taking the true gas-n-go crowd) and EV-DO (taking the hacker crowd) will play against Palm (unless they quickly support EV-DO with Verizon this year). They may not have a product cycle left to get it right and they will have a VERY tough time on the next product release getting early believers/buzz due to lost credibility with the 650 (folks will wait to find out what shoe is going to drop before getting excited which may take a few months around the release).

I am optimistic about the vision of the Treo line but am concerned that Palm isn't capable of winning based on past decisions and extreme competition coming down the pike.
    Now everyone knows I'm far from a Palm apologist, but Engadget choice is about as tardanic as it gets.

Yes, the 650 has some issues, but disapointment of the year? Hardly.

The real disappointment of the year was Sony's new digital Walkman, which was supposed to be an iPod challenger.
    Now Sony should know how to do it right, but still puked it.
    That was the disappointment of the year.

Yes, iPods are hardly an audiohiles first choice. But the iTunes interface, along with the hardware, makes them relatively dummy proof.

I really wish I could use the iTunes library other hardware players...that would be nice.
    (I think there have been some efforts in the area, but an endorsed and supported way would be best).
    I agree that Treo650 has many disappointments, there is no doubt about that. But at the same time, I dont think there is any single device that can replace it right now.

I must say I was disappointed in Treo650 due to many above mentioned issues, but I can also say that I am 70~80% a satisfied user who does not want to jump onto some other phone/pda combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by KPZerone
    I agree that Treo650 has many disappointments, there is no doubt about that. But at the same time, I dont think there is any single device that can replace it right now.
    This is exactly why palmone can get away with releasing a sort of-tested phone with serious issues (they're not fooling anyone if they try to claim they didn't know about the NVFS limitations). They have virtually no competition in Palm smartphones.

I was waiting for the Samsung i550, but that looks to be vaporware and I have a sneaky suspicion that part of the reason Sprint got their exclusive deal on the 650 was by perpetually delaying the i550 - which I suspect would blow the 650 out of the water.
    I Agree with engadget's choice. The Sony player can't be the biggest disappointment of the year because a) it's Sony so we knew it was very likely to suck and b) there already are several audio players far superior to the iPod out there for those willing to step outside of the Apple mind control machine, so nothing was really lost. The 650 on the other hand, could have been the definitive smartphone for 2005. Instead they gave us this mess of a product.

I thought of an analogy that works for my perception of the 650 compared to the 600: it's like you drive a 1995 Audi. You like it, it's, fast, somewhat pretty, definitely does the job, but pales in comparison to other cars in its class. So you go out and buy the new 2005 Audi. It's faster, more powerful, has more features inside, it's beatiful, BUT they decided to use tire rubber instead of leather for the inside. Oh and they swapped the accelerator and breaking pedals for no reason. And it shuts the engine down at random once a day. So, it's prettier, goes faster, etc, , but you're hating the ride all along because of the horrid feel and smell of the rubber and the fact that you have to constantly concentrate on not breaking when you want to accelerate, plus you leave in fear oif the engine shutting down in the middle of the highway. So you keep the car for the speed, and curse at the people who decided to mess up a good thing.
    That's exactly what the 650 feels like to me - a big, big disappointment that I can't retreat from.
    i'm disappointed in the 650 too.

then again i dont have one and may have to wait 2 months to get one.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I loved my 600 and i love my 650. I'm glad i upgraded.
    there is a reason why they named the phone 6xx instead of 7xx. It is a minor upgrade, evolution, not revolution
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast