Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm curious, which mp3 players do you all think are better than the iPod? I don't own any yet so I'm generally curious. And what makes them better? Is it just the file formats they'll play or does their hardware actually produce better fidelity?
    Last edited by swingline; 01/05/2005 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    I'm curious, which mp3 players do you all think are better than the iPod? I don't own any yet so I'm generally curious. And what makes them better? Is it just the file formats they'll play or does their hardware actually produce better fidelity?
    Both. Things like aesthetics can be debated, but SNR and file formats cannot.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    Both. Things like aesthetics can be debated, but SNR and file formats cannot.
    So which one do you like? And what's SNR? Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by netfreedom
    Well, i kind of have to agree with Noob on the Ipod. Not that it sounds bad, but it's way-overhyped and there are much better players that are multimedia and cheaper.
    Yup, I'm biased. It's probably because I have an iPod and have friends who have different MP3 players, and the comparison isn't even close. My iPod is way larger, works seemlessly with my computer, and also serves as my 2nd hard drive via Firewire. Oh, my music sounds great when I listen to it in my living room through my surround sound system.

I would love to learn of a better MP3 player.
    Try MP3 players from iRiver a shot. They do sound much better than iPod. (look and feel put aside..)
    I have an iRiver, and my kid has an iPod mini. Both sound good to me. The form factor of the iRiver is small and cute, kind of like a 2" triangular Toblerone package. The iPod is 1000% easier to use...its commands are very straight-forward, and the controls are very clear. That is not the case with the tiny little joystick and miniscule screen on the iRiver. I'd swap out in a second.
    SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio. The iPods can't even come close to most other units on the market. I'm not saying that iPods are bad, it's just that they don't sound very good compared to other units. Most people will probably never know the difference though because they use the crappy earbuds that they get for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneNelson
    That's interesting. I guess it depends on the expectations. My Treo 650 has exceeded all my expectations. I've had it almost 2 weeks and I really love it.
    Were you a 600 user?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    I'm not lying, and I presume that the people reporting problems aren't either...so what are the possible explanations for this phenomenon?
    I think I have a pretty good idea what the problem is. If I have a crash or reset I determine what caused it and try to either fix it or not do it again. If blazer gets corrupted and resets the device I can be a moron and flood these boards that my phone is an unstable piece of junk or... be reasonable, fix the issue and be done with it.

Every issue I've seen so far appears to be fixable with a hardreset, tweak or simply just avoiding doing what's causing the issue.

I got my phone on xmas(1st palm & phone ever), worked with the kinks for a week and now I have the thing pretty well figured out. Very few resets, no memory issues(I have a ton of apps), no bluetooth issues(using bluetooth gps, earpiece and DUN), and no mic issues.

It took a little effort to learn everything, but that's to be expected. There's a ton of room for improvement, especially for the technically crippled, but I still think the 650 really impressive in it's current state.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    there is a reason why they named the phone 6xx instead of 7xx. It is a minor upgrade, evolution, not revolution
    very well said, even though I am still waiting for the GSM 650
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    very well said, even though I am still waiting for the GSM 650
    Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Get over it.
    wow...no love
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    i'm still trying to figure out why anyone would assume that the ipod is an audiophile piece of equipment in the first place? it's quite hard to argue with apple's success with the ipod. you can state brand x sounds better than the ipod but it's quite clear that the 'masses' want a device that's EASY TO USE and don't want to deal with craptacular user interfaces or stupid software just to listen to some music while jogging.
    If you're letting "the masses" decide your purchases for you, you need some real help.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    If you're letting "the masses" decide your purchases for you, you need some real help.
    i noticed your insult but i missed your discussion of why the ipod ui / software sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    wow...no love
    I am sitting here listiening to the members of the US Congress insult one another. It occurs to me that we should invite them to our comparatively civil discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaninny
    i noticed your insult but i missed your discussion of why the ipod ui / software sucks.
    You also missed the post where I said that it did. Go home.
    Quote Originally Posted by KPZerone
    Try MP3 players from iRiver a shot. They do sound much better than iPod. (look and feel put aside..)
    Do any of you watch TechTV? I recall a show which I think was called Fresh Gear where they reviewed MP3 players each month. They sometimes would have a Western-themed shootout between the reigning champion, iPod, and new challengers. I recall iRiver products being shot down by the iPod. I don't know if the producers were impartial or not, but the review was entertaining.

It was an easy call for me, as I love the OS X and enjoy the ease-of-use of my iPod.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    I think I have a pretty good idea what the problem is. If I have a crash or reset I determine what caused it and try to either fix it or not do it again. If blazer gets corrupted and resets the device I can be a moron and flood these boards that my phone is an unstable piece of junk or... be reasonable, fix the issue and be done with it.

Every issue I've seen so far appears to be fixable with a hardreset, tweak or simply just avoiding doing what's causing the issue.

I got my phone on xmas(1st palm & phone ever), worked with the kinks for a week and now I have the thing pretty well figured out. Very few resets, no memory issues(I have a ton of apps), no bluetooth issues(using bluetooth gps, earpiece and DUN), and no mic issues.

It took a little effort to learn everything, but that's to be expected. There's a ton of room for improvement, especially for the technically crippled, but I still think the 650 really impressive in it's current state.
    No offense but in your post about the phone you've only had a mere two weeks you've mentioned that you've had to fix a number of issues, "relatively few resets" and possibly that blazer has become corrupted and you are happy that, otherwise, the phone works. Glad you are happy .
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    No offense but in your post about the phone you've only had a mere two weeks you've mentioned that you've had to fix a number of issues, "relatively few resets" and possibly that blazer has become corrupted and you are happy that, otherwise, the phone works. Glad you are happy .
    Well, I put the phone through the same paces a reviewer would. I put loads of software on to test stability and compatibility, I moved files around I shouldn't have, I overclocked it, I messed with hacked software/settings, etc.

Here are the only things that cause resets that concern me: I changed a setting in blazer that caused constant resets- quickly fixed, phone reset while I was playing nesEM when a call came in, and finally the phone reset when I tried playing Street Fighter 2 in Dream Engine (rom is too large). Those are the only resets that weren't my fault. Those last two are probably the App's fault.

The only non-reset problem I had was that VersaMail took forever to sync with my laptop after I created an account to my mail server.

My old PPC was equally as stable/unstable.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast