1.    #1  
    Wow. I'm tearing my hair out over here.

So I got a Treo 600 recently, and I've been trying to set it up to recieve my Gmail to no avail. I've activated Gmail's POP access, and I've entered in the correct settings into my Treo mail program. In fact, I've entered in the settings about 100 times. Every time I try - "Login Failed."

I'm fully aware of the fact that Treo's basic mail client can't send mail via Gmail - I need to get VersaMail or SnapperMail for that. But I'm very wary of purchasing a different mail client if I can't even log in to my account.

Anyone have any advice???
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Gmail uses the 'always secure' connection on port 995 to login in and download pop mail. Not sure if TreoMail can do this, but Snapper Mail definitely can, as I am using it! Hope this helps.
    what cell company are you with?
    I am also a new treo 600 user (T-mobile, phone is from ebay) and am using Snappermail to pull both accounts (company and gmail) every 20 minutes. Since my company's SMTP server need a VPN connection, gmail now is my main account for sending. Works great so far.

If you want to try Snapper, make sure in Server setting ->More-> choose "Always secure (wrapper port)". I believe you know that POP is 995 and SMTP is 465. Leave all other settings in that page unchecked.

Good luck!
    I'd just chime in saying to the best of my knowledge, the built-in Treo mail program can't handle Gmail. However, Snapper works splendidly.
    GMAIL WORKS WITH TREOMAIL (or whatever the default mail app is). I use it everyday. Just do a search for the main thread that talks about how to do set it up. I have a sprint treo, and in order to send I use sprint's smpt (not gmail). One of the biggest reasons send/receive doens't work for most people is they forget to activate pop3 in their gmail account settings.
    I don't know whether treomail works with gmail or not, but my snappermail2.0 definitely does.
    what I'd llike to add here is that there are 2 options of the smtp ports for gmail, one is 465 and the other starts with a 5(sorry, I can remenber it exactly).
    I am using the 2nd one, coz the first one seems not working.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Snapper 2.1 here. No problems sending or receiving Gmail. I'm on Sprint. Just be sure to follow Google's directions precisely. Also, remember that for some time Google had not rolled out POP3 access to everyone on Gmail. I'm not sure if this is still the case.
    Here's a solution...

Go into your Gmail settings and activate the Email forwarding to a POP account that's accessible from your Treo (Comcast, Verizon, whatever) Then use your Treo to access that account. Problem solved. If you need a free POP account, check out Hotpop.com Good luck
    i am able to use gmail with the included email app.

however, it works so much better using snappermail that i switched immediately after demoing snapper for a few hours.
    what ere your exact setting on snappermail if you don't mind my asking?
    Here is a link that will give you all of the settings you will need.
    http://www.snappermail.com/support/isp.cfm#82
  13. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I use the included Palm mail with Gmail, I have it set up as follows:
    Name tab:
    Account Name: (whatever you want, I call mine Gmail)
    Full Name: (your name)
    Email Address: (your gmail name)@gmail.com
    User Name: Same as email address
    Password: (your Gmail password)

Server Tab:
    Incoming (POP3) Server: pop.gmail.com
    Outgoing (SMTP) Server: (I had to use my ISP's SMTP, couldn't get gmail to work)

Advanced Tab:
    make sure that SSL required for POP3 is checked.

That's what I have set up and it works fine. Did you enable POP in your Gmail settings? Under "settings" and "forwarding and POP" in the Gmail inbox screen.
    I guess so many people get confused with POP incoming server verses SMTP outgoing server. I myself would prefer the simple approach to dealing with problems, but sometimes problems may seem to complex for someone to deal with. If you cant access your mail on Gmail, what you can also do is FORWARD your mail to another email account. Just use a little ingenuity and you will prevail.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    I use Gmail (2 accts) with the treo 600 on Tmobile. I dont have snappermail or anythign else, just the normal tmobile mail. I can receive and send from my gmail acct on my treo with no problems. I will say it took me forever how to figure it out, but once I followed the step by step instructions on the Tmobile site, it was successful.
    I'm using agendus mail ssl edition with gmail. The tricky part was setting up the servers tab in my gmail account settings. You have to choose 'Use SSL Security (alternate port)' for both the incomming and outgoing servers, and specify the ports that gmail mentions on their mail setup page (995 & 465).
    I'm having a similar weird problem with my gmail.

It was working fine for the past couple of months - but then for the past two weeks it stopped downloading any new messages. However I do not get any error messages - if I didn't check my gmail from a regular PC I wouldn't even have known that there was anything wrong.

I tried changing a few things - like the Preferences setting from "Only get mail from last 3 days" to "only get mail from last 24 hours" - but no luck.

I'm using the built in Palm email app, and I also have GoodLink for my corporate email.

Anyone seen this problem?
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Okay, now I am having this exact problem now even tho a few posts up I said it was working fine. It's just not downloading any new messages, and in fact, one time a week ago it downloaded a message sent one week prior. I have to actually go to the Gmail site on my pc to get my messages as this is now not being very reliable.

I do seem to be able to 'send' messages using the built in Palm email app, but not receive.

On the flip side, i can go to the gmail.com site from my Treo and see my messages that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerick
    Okay, now I am having this exact problem now even tho a few posts up I said it was working fine. It's just not downloading any new messages, and in fact, one time a week ago it downloaded a message sent one week prior. I have to actually go to the Gmail site on my pc to get my messages as this is now not being very reliable.

I do seem to be able to 'send' messages using the built in Palm email app, but not receive.

On the flip side, i can go to the gmail.com site from my Treo and see my messages that way...
    must be a Gmail problem you think? I haven't yet searched the Google forums
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."