Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Call my stupid or what but what is the big deal about a caller id on a head set. Its on your head- last I checked I cant see my ears without looking in a mirror. So you have to take it off to look, isnt just as easy to look at the phones screen or am I missing something.

Treo newB

rj
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I once felt like you, then I bought a BT headset (the BT250 from Palm) and I now understand.

Andy
    I wouldn't say its a make it or break it sort of thing, but now that i have CID on my 660, i wouldn't go back. It's so nice to be able to leave my treo in my center console in the car, or in my pocket when walking around, or on my back credenza charging when at work, and never have to jump to find it when it rings. I just look down at my 660 (assuming its on its neckstrap) or pull it out of my ear, look, and put it back, and can decide whether to take the call or not.

I can also decide how to answer the phone (family calling or work calling) without ever having to go digging for my Treo. It's not an absolutely necessity, but once you get used to it, you'll never want to go back.

I used to say the same thing about BT in general. Who needs bluetooth. Is it that big a deal having a wired headset? But the freedom to get up and walk around my office without carrying the treo is fantastic.
    I don't keep my headset on. So I currently have to look at my phone to see if I want to answer and then go digging for my headset. If I had CID I could just look at one device and then use it. I would really benifit from CID on the headset.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Everyone uses and wears thier headset differently, if you wear it on your ear 95% of the time like I do , your right RJ its useless. (My treo is always on my hip or on the dash, never in a bag as I need to access email ,all day)
    Last edited by sjjones; 01/03/2005 at 07:20 PM.
    A guy I work with wears his headset on a neck chain and keeps his phone at his desk. I think CID would be handy in cases like that. I'd probably pay an extra $10 or maybe $15 on a headset for CID.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by davecombs
    A guy I work with wears his headset on a neck chain
    Nice fashion statement. kind of like Colonel Klink's monocle.
    ~'kito
    I like it when driving. I leave my Treo in my pocket. when I feel it vibrate, I pick up the headset from the dash, look at the caller ID, then stick it in my ear, and answer.

This is by far the main reason I wanted Bluetooth. It's a big safety benifet not to have to fumble getting my phone out of my pocket when driving.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=skydivewags]I like it when driving. I leave my Treo in my pocket. when I feel it vibrate, I pick up the headset from the dash, look at the caller ID, then stick it in my ear, and answer.

This is by far the main reason I wanted Bluetooth. It's a big safety benifet not to have to fumble getting my phone out of my pocket when driving.[/QUOTE

To me thats sound more dangerous.

Leave the phone on the dash or a cup holder in view, wear the headset, answer by just touching the side of the HS if you want to take the call? No fumbling at all!! and its alot easier to read than the caller ID

To make a call invest in voice command have the *dial set at the top of your favourites (speed dial) and away you go. 2 buttons > keyguard> then favourite button.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones

Leave the phone on the dash or a cup holder in view, wear the headset, answer by just touching the side of the HS if you want to take the call? No fumbling at all!! and its alot easier to read than the caller ID

To make a call invest in voice command have the *dial set at the top of your favourites (speed dial) and away you go. 2 buttons > keyguard> then favourite button.
    Well, yes that does sound like the safest way, and I do take my phone out of my pocket when on longer trips, but most of my dirving is short trips around town, and I just leave the phone in my pocket. I don't expect a call every time I drive, so I don't put it in my ear unless I get a call.

I am seriously thing about investing in Sprint's Voice Command again, but I would like it if I could dial it with the headset. I know some people are working on hacks, and some say that if we ever get a ROM update from Palm1 that it may make it so we can use voice dial with Bluetooth. That would be auesome.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    I leave headset in my ear while driving & glance @ phone for caller id...which is much easier than fumbling around to place & position headset & possibly missing the call.
    [QUOTE=sjjones]
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    I like it when driving. I leave my Treo in my pocket. when I feel it vibrate, I pick up the headset from the dash, look at the caller ID, then stick it in my ear, and answer.

This is by far the main reason I wanted Bluetooth. It's a big safety benifet not to have to fumble getting my phone out of my pocket when driving.[/QUOTE

If you have the right headset, putting on it no big deal.

Agree with the looking thing in the car; but what about the other 90% of the time you are not in the car?

CID is very useful, once you use it a bit.
    Well, yes that does sound like the safest way, and I do take my phone out of my pocket when on longer trips, but most of my dirving is short trips around town, and I just leave the phone in my pocket. I don't expect a call every time I drive, so I don't put it in my ear unless I get a call.

I am seriously thing about investing in Sprint's Voice Command again, but I would like it if I could dial it with the headset. I know some people are working on hacks, and some say that if we ever get a ROM update from Palm1 that it may make it so we can use voice dial with Bluetooth. That would be auesome.
    Voice command works fine. Easy to set up, assuming you have voice dial software on the phone. I would not call this a hack at all.

Just record a command, says "voice", and have it dial "*".

Same for "voicemail". Works great.

Bingo.
    caller ID on headset worthless to me without showing name of caller.. very few #s do I remember who it belongs to & really don't want to memorize who goes with what # anyway.. so for me.. much easier to see name of caller on treo... or if phone is on my belt.. distinctive ringtone tells me if its a call I want to take or not.. & when profiles & callfilter is updated, it will be even more convienient.
    I think CID headsets would be useful to me if I'm carpooling. That way when somebody calls, I can just ask my buddy "Hey, who's calling me?"
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    If you have the right headset, putting on it no big deal.

Agree with the looking thing in the car; but what about the other 90% of the time you are not in the car?

CID is very useful, once you use it a bit.

The phones on my hip, when I'm not in the car takes 2 sec's to look at, the headset in my ear not dangling round my neck . Im sorry it's a gimmick!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones
    The phones on my hip, when I'm not in the car takes 2 sec's to look at, the headset in my ear not dangling round my neck . Im sorry it's a gimmick!!
    You probably have an app on your device that I would find to be an absolute waste of space and furthermore be uterly disgusted that the developer even considered writting it.

Point is.... To each his own.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    You probably have an app on your device that I would find to be an absolute waste of space and furthermore be uterly disgusted that the developer even considered writting it.

Point is.... To each his own.
    Your right, sxtg I was just responding to the following Mikec: "but what about the other 90% of the time you are not in the car?"
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Voice command works fine. Easy to set up, assuming you have voice dial software on the phone. I would not call this a hack at all.

Just record a command, says "voice", and have it dial "*".

Same for "voicemail". Works great.

Bingo.

So now you are saying you are using the phone to call voice command, and then use the headset once it picks up? That's more fumbeling around then any of the mentioned options.

As mentioned in many threads, voice dial doesn't work with Bluetooth headsets, or are you doing this in a quiet inviroment, and the Treo is picking up your command from a distance?

If you have voice dial working with your bluetooth headset, please let us all know how you did it.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    So now you are saying you are using the phone to call voice command, and then use the headset once it picks up? That's more fumbeling around then any of the mentioned options.

As mentioned in many threads, voice dial doesn't work with Bluetooth headsets, or are you doing this in a quiet inviroment, and the Treo is picking up your command from a distance?

If you have voice dial working with your bluetooth headset, please let us all know how you did it.
    I do it with a bluetooth dongle. It sucks to have to have a dongle, but the volume is great and the use of VoiceSignal thru my headset is well worth it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast