1.    #1  
    I would like to get a GPS for my treo 600, but it's unclear exactly what's involved in these kits for sale online.

First of all, is it mandatory that the GPS module be supplied with power from a car adapter at all times? I was hoping to get one that I could roam around with, outside of the car. Can it be powered by the treo's battery?

I would like one that just clips on the bottom of my treo600, but all of them seem to have an annoying cable with a receiver you have to set somewhere... can anyone recommend a good GPS solution for the treo 600, that's not a big mess? I don't relish the idea of setting up a big mount with a bunch of cables in my car either...
    Go here. This is an in-depth discussion of GPS and how it works on the Treo.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Most GPS receivers operate on batteries of some kind. They typically come with a car adapter and a wall outlet adapter, to power the device and (in the case of those with rechargable batteries) to recharge.

If you don't have Bluetooth (is there an SD Bluetooth card that works with the Treo 600?), then you're stuck with a cable hookup, or a GPS "sled" or "sleeve" where the PDA slides into a holder that contains the GPS receiver. I'm not aware of any GPS sleeves for Treos, but they might be out there.

If you have Bluetooth, you can buy a GPS with BT connectivity, and then your Treo would connect to it wirelessly. I do this with my Tungsten and a BT GPS receiver, and it's very convenient, whether I'm in the car or walking around - no wires. Obviously, in this setup, the GPS and Treo are powered separately, either by their own batteries, or by plugging them into the car outlet.
  4.    #4  
    I don't want bluetooth, that would be more of a mess than I want having two different devices both requiring battery power and charging. Also I know people who have BT devices with their phones and they aren't always reliable. I would like a simple clip-on device to the bottom, that is powered by the treo or a internal battery so I can travel around on foot. Is there such a solution for the treo 600, or am I stuck in the car? I haven't had any luck googling for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdstark
    I don't want bluetooth, that would be more of a mess than I want having two different devices both requiring battery power and charging. Also I know people who have BT devices with their phones and they aren't always reliable. I would like a simple clip-on device to the bottom, that is powered by the treo or a internal battery so I can travel around on foot. Is there such a solution for the treo 600, or am I stuck in the car? I haven't had any luck googling for one.
    You may want to try out iGolf.

I have no idea if it works ... sorry.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    An SD card GPS would be a good option based on the above criteria, but I wasn't aware of any that work with the Palm. If this driver works, it would do the trick - power sucked from the Treo, no wires.

BUT keep in mind, you'd be using your one and only SD slot for the GPS device, which means no SD memory card for maps. So you'd have to try to fit the GPS software and maps on the limited Treo 650 memory.