1.    #1  
    Greetings all,

Great site btw, glad I found it. I just purchased a Treo 650 a few days ago. I wanted to wait until it came out on Verizon or possibly Cingular/AT&T, but you all know that story. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and Sprint has always had a bad reputation around here.

I decided to give it a shot since I know I have 14 days to decided if I want to keep the phone and service. I have only been able to use the phone once since my number portability will not go through until tomorrow at 11am. At this time, I'll have full functionality.

After reading threads in this forum and talking to be people, I am seriously starting to doubt this whole deal. For instance, the one phone call I made was to Sprint and the Speaker Phone and normal talking was horrible! I even heard the dreaded echoing I always hear from my buddies 600. I thought wow! If this one phone call sounds this bad, what are the rest gonna be like?

I was also wondering if anyone who lives in the Bay Area (specifically the East Bay) can comment on the reception here. I want to like this phone and Sprint, but things aren't looking to good right now.

And last, where can I find some good freeware apps? I've looked a few places but not sure what is good and what isnt. Any suggestions?

Even though I am complaining, everything I've done so far is pretty nice. I really like the palm desktop and the contact and calender fucntions. I like how eveyrthing syncs with one button push. The camera isn''t half bad for how low the MP is and I love the keyboard and how it lights up. I'm anxious to browse the web and use email.

I am also aware of the shadowmite ROMs with the voice quality fix, but I want to wait to do that just to test out the phone in its default form.

Any input is much appreciated

Thanks,
    Dave
    I have no problems with sprint reception in bay area. I can't think of the last place I've been to that lacked reception. BART tunnels come to mind, I guess, but verizon isn't any better there.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks crazy_vag. Where in the Bay Area do you live? You see, I live in Livermore and drive through the hills to get to San Jose. I think I will have some issues, but we will see.

I thought of another question too. Does MobiTV work on the 650 yet? Sprint tells me it does, but it appears that it is not ready yet? Can someone give me the correct answer please?

Dave
    Last edited by Helevitia; 01/02/2005 at 10:25 PM.
    I travel all aroud the Bay Area and and Sprint has been excellent compared to other carriers.

Specifically, I have travelled the Livemore to SJ route many times, and have not had issues.
    Martinez, Concord, WC and Berkeley, as well as San Ramon, Dublin and Pleasonton have strong signal strenght. I travel on 680 and 24 all the time and not one dropped call on my 650 or my old 600. No complaints here.

Oly
  6.    #6  
    Wow, 3 seperate posters all praising Sprint's reception around the Bay Area. I'm impressed. I hope I feel the same way when I get to test out the phone. OK, now the 64 thousand dollar question for you NorCal folks, how do you like the phone?

Thanks for the feedback so far!
    Dave
    Hey Dave,

I live in the Eastbay. I am mostly in Oakland, Emeryville, Berkeley Richmond, and Pinole. I have tested Sprint out in these locations and you are right. Sprint is okay in the Eastbay, but not great. There are people in downtown SF who swear by it. And as you have read in other post, there are people in the south bay who swear by it. Perhaps someone from the Eastbay has had good luck with it. There are so many factors that contribute to a good signal such as the quality of phone handset itself and tower locations. I personally am waiting on a GSM Treo 650 to use in the Eastbay. But don't take my word for it -- check out: http://www.cellreception.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Helevitia
    Greetings all,

I was also wondering if anyone who lives in the Bay Area (specifically the East Bay) can comment on the reception here. I want to like this phone and Sprint, but things aren't looking to good right now.
    Any input is much appreciated

Thanks,
    Dave
    64K? Overall, the 650 is a perfect all-in-one gadget for me. Of all the features, the SCREEN is what really sold me. I could never go back to my 600 because of this. I even started to look into the pocketpc realm (went to cingular to look at their Seimens SX66) just to see what they have to offer, and although the PPC offers a larger screen, the 650, yet smaller, just blows all other screens away. I do wish we could get streaming video (pocket tunes audio streaming with shoutcast is great for audio streaming) and I have already read that goonet software may be released a remedy for streaming home media, cool stuff!
    Now back to your topic, the phone feature is very good (for me), and I never had anyone complain about any echo, and never a speakerphone issue, may be I was lucky with my unit. I do use the 650 phone portion more than the average user, and not really use the speakerphone (I use my sony bluetooth 660 headset).

Enjoy your unit, and if you are coming from a 600 to a 650, your jaw will drop when you see this screen, it's a jem.

Oly
    Greetings all,

Great site btw, glad I found it. I just purchased a Treo 650 a few days ago. I wanted to wait until it came out on Verizon or possibly Cingular/AT&T, but you all know that story. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and Sprint has always had a bad reputation around here.

I decided to give it a shot since I know I have 14 days to decided if I want to keep the phone and service. I have only been able to use the phone once since my number portability will not go through until tomorrow at 11am. At this time, I'll have full functionality.

After reading threads in this forum and talking to be people, I am seriously starting to doubt this whole deal. For instance, the one phone call I made was to Sprint and the Speaker Phone and normal talking was horrible! I even heard the dreaded echoing I always hear from my buddies 600. I thought wow! If this one phone call sounds this bad, what are the rest gonna be like?

And last, where can I find some good freeware apps? I've looked a few places but not sure what is good and what isnt. Any suggestions?

[...]

Thanks,
    Dave
    Hello Dave,

Couple things -- while I live in SF, I have worked in downtown Oakland and my Sprint coverage has been excellent... especially compared to Cingular(I switched after moving here from LA). Perhaps your specific route from Livermore to San Jose has totally different coverage characteristics though.

Also, if you haven't already found it, check the thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...atibility+list

for Treo 650 compatible software. Not totally comprehensive, but should be a good start. There are plenty of other threads about software suggestions in TC.

And finally, just a heads up... as a citizen of California, you actually have 30 days to take/leave your new Sprint contract. It's in the fine print. Good luck.
    --
    jt
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Hey Dave,

But don't take my word for it -- check out: http://www.cellreception.com/
    Thanks! I wondered if such a database existed. It was actually enlightening to read the responses. Sprint appears to be better than I anticipated.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by olywogle
    64K? Overall, the 650 is a perfect all-in-one gadget for me. Of all the features, the SCREEN is what really sold me. I could never go back to my 600 because of this. I even started to look into the pocketpc realm (went to cingular to look at their Seimens SX66) just to see what they have to offer, and although the PPC offers a larger screen, the 650, yet smaller, just blows all other screens away. I do wish we could get streaming video (pocket tunes audio streaming with shoutcast is great for audio streaming) and I have already read that goonet software may be released a remedy for streaming home media, cool stuff!
    Now back to your topic, the phone feature is very good (for me), and I never had anyone complain about any echo, and never a speakerphone issue, may be I was lucky with my unit. I do use the 650 phone portion more than the average user, and not really use the speakerphone (I use my sony bluetooth 660 headset).

Enjoy your unit, and if you are coming from a 600 to a 650, your jaw will drop when you see this screen, it's a jem.

Oly
    Thanks for the feedback. I hope I don't have too many reception and voice quality issues. You guys are giving me hope
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by senor_jt
    Hello Dave,

Also, if you haven't already found it, check the thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...atibility+list

for Treo 650 compatible software. Not totally comprehensive, but should be a good start. There are plenty of other threads about software suggestions in TC.
    Great list! Thanks!

And finally, just a heads up... as a citizen of California, you actually have 30 days to take/leave your new Sprint contract. It's in the fine print. Good luck.
    This is really good to know. I wonder why they don't tell you this on the phone? I asked several Sprint folks about the 14 day trial to make sure I understood what I was getting myself into and nobody even mentioned a peep about the 30 days. I'll have to look it up myself.

Thanks everyone!
    Great list! Thanks!

This is really good to know. I wonder why they don't tell you this on the phone? I asked several Sprint folks about the 14 day trial to make sure I understood what I was getting myself into and nobody even mentioned a peep about the 30 days. I'll have to look it up myself.

Thanks everyone!
    Just to shorten your research time,

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...opic=whySprint

and the explanation at

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0528025354.htm
    --
    jt
    One final word. Here is a study done of the SF Bay 1 year ago. I think it is still valid. However, it doesn't account for the Cingular/ATT merger.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62196

Thanks! I wondered if such a database existed. It was actually enlightening to read the responses. Sprint appears to be better than I anticipated.
    Last edited by specimen38; 01/03/2005 at 08:43 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Once again you guys are awesome! Thanks senor_jt for shortening my research

And thanks specimen3 for that pdf! Another ray of hope for Sprint. I mean seriously, everyone I talk to tells me not to go with Sprint. After posting here, I am actually excited about trying the phone now.
    Very interesting info in the pdf, specimen -- thanks!

I live in downtown SF and "swear by" the reception/service around the downtown area with a T650... I've been on T-Mobile & Sprint with Treo 600's previously; AT&T, Cingular, etc with other phones. I found the T600 itself to have big voice quality issues (per thread link below), which seem to be mostly engineered out of the T650 by P1. My long ordeal/struggle with trying to get decent service on a Treo 600 (through no less than 7 Sprint and T-Mobile T600's) is detailed on another TC thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=45504.

Anyway, I'd agree that the Sprint service quality in downtown SF is the best available in the Bay Area. I've tried phones from every major carrier in the past 15 months (around downtown SF) I eventually came back to Sprint to get the better service quality (on the most recent occasion, returning from a TMobile T600, thanks to number portability!

It has been my personal experience that Sprint does have some serious coverage issues around the SF Bay, relative to the other major carriers. The issue I've had has been most notable traveling between Palo Alto and SF... it can be spotty on the 101, there is a "dark spot" around San Mateo where I often drop calls. Also around Palo Alto, Los Altos, Cupertino I get frequent disconnects; I've heard that the hills (Skyline) make propogation difficult (some FM stations, and many FM subcarrier services like Quotrek used to have problems in Silicon Valley too). I tried Sprint 3 times when I lived on the Peninsula (89-02) and gave up on them each time; but they may have more antennas in by now.

Also, I've had trouble when traveling on 580 East over the hills to Pleasanton, and on the San Mateo bridge, with Sprint - calls disconnected. With bridges like that, and in hi-rise buildings, the cellular signals can have problems (dead spots) due to the grounded steel structures; that's hard to get around. But it doesn't seem to effect the other carriers as much! There has been much research published on Qualcomm's 1900 MHz CDMA (aka Sprint PCS) technology, arguing that it is more succeptible to multi-path distortion and other artifacts. But CDMA packs more information per unit bandwidth than TDMA/GSM, and is more amenable to (LSI) integration, making Sprint and the handset folks more $ (in theory). That's the downside, on the upside (unlike TDMA) with CDMA we end-users get 100Kbps data...

Just based upon my personal experience, Sprint does have decent coverage all most the U.S... even in Hawaii. Hitting the metro areas seems to be their big thing, vs. trying to cover all the outskirts and rural areas like Verizon and the other predominately analog carriers. To me, the best thing about Sprint is if you get a jumbo plan, you can put a second family member's (second sprint phone #) on the plan and pool minutes for no extra charge; plus they'll give you unlimited data useage (and other freebies like the slightly cheesy photo service, occasional phone discounts, etc). On the downside, although Sprint has many retail outlets, the sales rep's (and many store managers) aren't very well trained. The lameness of their tech support operation has become a real issue for Sprint; they've been "flushed out of the closet" on that one, since it's sooo bad in most locations. However, imho Sprint is still the best overall compromise, for a cell phone (aka Treo) user that wants to use a lot of data bandwidth. Just my observations... feel free to correct me if I'm you have conflicting experiences, knowledge, or you have further/deeper insights! God knows we're all still trying to figure out the cell phone carriers... lol
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/03/2005 at 01:37 AM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    I am usually all over the Bay at any given time. I lived in San Mateo for 6 months and travel the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge everyday and didn't have any problems, and I talk on my phone all the time.

I moved back to the Eastbay and had to travel the Bay Bridge weekely and still no problems.

I spend a good amount of time in Oakland, Alameda, Richmond area on a weekly if not daily basis and still no problems.

I spend a good amount of time in Concord, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, and Lamorinda (Lafayette, Moraga & Orinda) and my phone works flawlessly.

I also travel up and down highway 4, 24, and 80 with no problems with coverage.

I just did a turn around trip to LA a few days ago taking 580 to 5 route and I had a call cut out in the Bakersfield-ish area but that's about it.

This is all with my Treo 650. Previously with my Samsung A500 I had lots of problems even with the phone on roam. Most times I could not get signal in my house. Since I got the Treo 650 my service does not cut out in my house, and all the spots I had problems with before (witht he A500) are gone now with the Treo 650.

My significant other works in downtown SF and service at their office used to be spotty but it seems better now. Bart is still rough though but no carrier has good reception on Bart underground. While your are above ground it is all good, but once you go underground every carrier pretty much sucks.

Also two people in my household use T-Mobile for service and their service around the Bay isn't that great. When we go places together many palces that I have coverage they don't or it is very spotty.
  18.    #18  
    I am amazed that not one person has complained yet. Anyone out there that has something bad to say about Sprint and reception?