Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My popular[1] free utility for managing the on/off times for your radio, as well as its state after a reset, has now been updated to work correctly on the newest Treo 650.

For those who aren't familiar with Radio Control, here's the description:

The program solves two quirks with Treo Communicators. The
    first is the fact that the radio (wireless mode) is always
    off after a soft-reset, which can be annoying if the user
    forgets this feature. The first choice the program gives
    the user is whether or not they want the radio to come on
    after a reset.

The second function of the program allows the user to set
    an on and off time for the radio. This allows the user to
    have the radio come on or turn off at specific times, a
    great way to save batteries if you're not expecting calls
    for a certain period each day. Clicking "Clear" sets both
    times to "Never".

Please download it freely here: http://www.clanhobbs.org/treo/

[1] Popular enough that it was recommended by the authors of How to Do Everything with Your Treo 600 - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20.
    Crashed when I tried it. Gave me an error on reset.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    Crashed when I tried it. Gave me an error on reset.
    treo600guy - which Treo do you own and which prc file did you install. Assuming (based on your username) that you have a 600, please make sure you installed radiocontrol.prc and not radiocontrol650.prc - they are both in the zip file.

If you own a 650, the reverse is true - install radiocontrol650.prc.

Please let me know - thanks!
    I've been using this program for my 600 for ages. Thank you Treocoder. Nice work
    Seems to be workin fine on my 650, thanks alot
    Regardless of the name...I now own a 650 and installed the new prc for the 650.
  7.    #7  
    Regardless of the name...I now own a 650 and installed the new prc for the 650.
    Disappointing - I've had several reports that it does work correctly on the 650 (and have confirmed it on the simulator). I can only assume that it is somehow conflicting with another application on your device. Can you provided the details of the error messages you receive? I'd be happy to look into it - thanks!
    Treocoder, thank you for your app. I have one smallish request: would it be possible to add a "turn radio off/on now" button? I am trying to reassign the behavior of my 4th button and sthe 650's redesign makes it so I have no way of turning off the radio anymore.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Treocoder, thank you for your app. I have one smallish request: would it be possible to add a "turn radio off/on now" button? I am trying to reassign the behavior of my 4th button and sthe 650's redesign makes it so I have no way of turning off the radio anymore.
    Don't tell anyone, but I am planning on writing a version 2.0 of Radio Control that would provide this capability as well the ability to include two different time profiles, weekday and weekend. Keep it under your hat
    Also, I just tried reinstalling Radio Control and when I loaded Butler it gives me a message that it can't work with Radio Control on the same Treo. Any fixes on that? I'd hate to give up the functionality of Butler just to have Radio Control reset phone after a soft reset, since Treo Help can do that too.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  11.    #11  
    Also, I just tried reinstalling Radio Control and when I loaded Butler it gives me a message that it can't work with Radio Control on the same Treo. Any fixes on that? I'd hate to give up the functionality of Butler just to have Radio Control reset phone after a soft reset, since Treo Help can do that too.
    I wasn't aware of this. I've e-mailed the author of Butler to get more info on why he is looking specifically for my program.
    A very enthusiastic, and sincere thanks for writing RadioControl, TreoCoder. I have tried a few of the other programs that offer the feature of radio on after reset and all of them have caused my Treo 650 to reset upon the completion of a HotSync.

Yours however has been testing positively for 4 HotSyncs in a row (none of the ones I have tried could make it past 1 HotSync without resetting)

I am very pleased that your software is stable on my machine. Thanks again and especially for making it freeware.

Cheers
    Sounds very interesting, but I'm just confused on one point.

You said that one of the functions Radio Control offers is to turn Wireless Mode back on after a reset. My Treo 650 does that automatically by itself!

Isn't this a default function of the T650, or do I have some nifty thing installed which is handling this for me without my even realizing it isn't the Palm OS?

Regards,
    ChickenHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Holding and pressing the 4th button does this already...
  15.    #15  
    You said that one of the functions Radio Control offers is to turn Wireless Mode back on after a reset. My Treo 650 does that automatically by itself!
    I honestly couldn't tell you, not having one myself. If this is the case, I would strongly recommend that 650 users not turn on that particular feature of RadioControl. No reason to go looking for trouble.

The scheduled on/off feature could still be useful to you however.

I'll be interested in hearing whether other users have the auto-on feature available with the 650 without additional software.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    A very enthusiastic, and sincere thanks for writing RadioControl, TreoCoder. I have tried a few of the other programs that offer the feature of radio on after reset and all of them have caused my Treo 650 to reset upon the completion of a HotSync.

Yours however has been testing positively for 4 HotSyncs in a row (none of the ones I have tried could make it past 1 HotSync without resetting)

I am very pleased that your software is stable on my machine. Thanks again and especially for making it freeware.

Cheers
    mattyparanoid, did you find that TreoHelper caused post HotSync reset?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    Sounds very interesting, but I'm just confused on one point.

Isn't this a default function of the T650, or do I have some nifty thing installed which is handling this for me without my even realizing it isn't the Palm OS?

Regards,
    ChickenHawk
    ChickenHawk, you're partially correct. In my experience the 650 will automatically power the phone on sometimes. If there is a series of soft resets, it seems to stop doing so after maybe once or twice. I'm not sure how much time must elapse for it to start doing so automatically again.

TreoCoder, maybe a more helpful option would be for it to restore the Phone's status (on or off) after a reset. For instance, I have my phone off overnight but have a backup scheduled usually at 2A. My backup program (
    Backupman) usually soft resets at the end of its backup. This is one scenario in which I would not like the phone to be powered back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    mattyparanoid, did you find that TreoHelper caused post HotSync reset?
    I don't want to badmouth other peoples software, but the ones I was referring to did not include TreoHelper, no...Truthfully, I did not try any further software that I even thought might cause a post HS Reset. After the first two were proven with my troubleshooting to cause a PHSR, I just stripped down to a lean setup of just the essentials.

I have a fairly robust setup now, if I add a piece of software, I am careful to watch and if I get PHSR, I delete it.

And my Treo 650 will turn on the radio after a soft reset, SOMETIMES, but not all, with no indication as to why or how, completely irratic.

Incidentally, the beta (3.07b) of BBVFSPro has been working well for me, without a single reset at all for one week exactly. I got resets with BackupMan 1.52B as well...
    Last edited by mattyparanoid; 01/04/2005 at 06:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid

Incidentally, the beta (3.07b) of BBVFSPro has been working well for me, without a single reset at all for one week exactly. I got resets with BackupMan 1.52B as well...
    Funny, the beta of BBVFSPro would not even complete a backup on my unit without resetting...
    Hi Folks,

just to let you know that Chris contacted me re getting RC to work with butler. Turns out that whatever I changed in the last few versions seems to have fixed the confilct, so the next release of Butler should be RC friendly.

Enjoy!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast