Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any software that would allow me to send a fax -- for example, a WordSmith document -- from my Treo 650? ... something like WinFax.

This capability could be useful when traveling and/or generally to send documents to persons who are not (yet) e-mail savvy.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best Wishes for 2005!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    efax (efax.com) allows an email to the recipient's fax number so you can "fax" from your email client.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksawatsky
    efax (efax.com) allows an email to the recipient's fax number so you can "fax" from your email client.
    I use MaxEmail which I think is like eFax. Can you let me know how this works and is there a limit with Sprint/Versamail's upload size.

Thanks!
    -Vincent
    How bout receiving faxes, and is there anyway to sign, notate and resend?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Receiving - efax allows receipt of faxes in either TIFF or PDF formats, in addition to it own proprietory efx format. TIFF can be read -- sort of because of the tiny screen on the 600 -- by Acid Image Pro. There is no PDF reader for Palm OS5. Do a search on either term on this forum for additional info -- there's lots.

Sending - efax allows sending to fax number 1-555-555-5555 by emailing 15555555555@efaxsend.com. So any document can be faxed via email. I'm not familiar with MaxEmail, but do a search on this forum and you'll likely find someone who is?
    You could also use a Palm fax program to talk to the wireless modem and directly connect to a fax machine. The one I've used is MarkSpace fax which is now discontinued, but probably still around the web to download. Another is InStep Print/Fax which allows you to print to a fax machine as if it were a printer.
    -- S8C
  7.    #7  
    I've got an eFax account already. It works great to receive faxes.

But I'd like the general capability to send a fax from the Treo 650 ... to "print" a document from my Treo 650 to a standard fax machine wherever it may be -- for example, a hotel fax machine.

InStep Print/Fax gives me an error message -- "unable to initialize modem port". (There is no modem in the Treo 650.) And any time I try to change a setting in the program, my Treo 650 reboots.

Is there other software that can send a fax from the Treo 650? -- that emulates a fax modem in the software?

Thank you.
    Last edited by From_WI; 01/01/2005 at 09:06 PM.
    Here's the download (it's been removed from their website www.markspace.com due to lack of interest I'm sure)
    Regards.
    P.S. I can't seem to upload the manual in .PDF, but i'll try again later.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa8Claws
    Here's the download (it's been removed from their website www.markspace.com due to lack of interest I'm sure)
    Regards.
    does it work for treo 600?
    Quote Originally Posted by From_WI
    I've got an eFax account already. It works great to receive faxes.

But I'd like the general capability to send a fax from the Treo 650 ... to "print" a document from my Treo 650 to a standard fax machine wherever it may be -- for example, a hotel fax machine.

InStep Print/Fax gives me an error message -- "unable to initialize modem port". (There is no modem in the Treo 650.) And any time I try to change a setting in the program, my Treo 650 reboots.

Is there other software that can send a fax from the Treo 650? -- that emulates a fax modem in the software?

Thank you.
    Efax does that too. They charge something like 10 cents a page.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa8Claws
    Regards.
    Note to all: This is compatible with the Treo 300. The Treo 600 and 650 modem chip does not include the fax command set.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Efax does that too. They charge something like 10 cents a page.
    i think they charge the monthly fee and on top of the monthly fee, they charge per usage. that is why i do not like efax to send fax. i was looking for the fax program on treo 600 but no luck.
    Anyone used this:

http://www.ourfax.com/

It's a free email-to-fax service, but will they flood junk to the fax number once I send a fax to the # via their service?
    After some search and trying fax1, I think the fax1.com is the way to go. Not free, but no monthly fee and you get $1 to try. $0.12/page is cheap enough if you don't fax too much. Paypaling $10 to your account credit and it should last for quite a while. The nice thing is you can fax anywhere you can send email. Fax1 has been running for couple years now, so should be dependable.

Companying it with a free j2 account for receiving fax and voice messagees, you are pretty much all set. BTW, get the mVoice, so you can listen to J2 voice messages on your Treo, damn cool!

This non-free fax service reminds me the similar and great 1stphonecard.com for voice. Since I started buying phone cards from them, I no longer bother looking for free phone services like Dialpad etc. It is cheap enough, $0.02/min to anywhere, easy to refill and even refill right before you need a call, a $15 card really lasts 6 months without any hidden fees. With other cards, like service charges drain out the minutes in a week or so after few calls or don't call at all and the minutes run out whenever you really need to call. Never confuse 1stphonecard with 1stcallingcard which sucks to hell.

So I think no need to look for free fax, while you have the great fax1. Free is nice, but no monthly fee services are good enough and more dependable. One thing needs to make sure is the $10 credit does not run out in a month or so even if you don't send any fax.
    Thanks Fixup.....i Have been looking for a service like this for awhile.... I only send faxes maybe 3 or 4 times a month do paying a monthly fee to a place like efax.com was pointless....

Here is a tip for everyone...use fax1.com to send faxes and then use efax.com free incoming fax tool to get incoming faxes..
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Great pick up (fax1.com) used it today . Goes well with a service i use for recieving faxes $3.95 monthly unlimited incoming with a local NJ number.

http://www.packetel.com/Fax/faxServiceMain.asp

Thanks again
    Last edited by sjjones; 01/31/2005 at 08:34 PM.
    Great ideas! Since I am switching my office numbers to Vonage VOIP, I get a free local fax line. My solution is this:

1. Incoming faxes: I use my free local fax number from Vonage. (the fax number is only 1 digit different than my office number - nice) WinFax Pro then receives the fax, and notifies me of the fax via email. If I need it on the Treo, I can have Winfax Pro forward the fax to me at my free j2.com fax number and view it on my Treo. (I ordered Winfax Pro from Ebay for $11.00, and still need to figure out how to configure it with my Treo. Hope it works.)

2. Outgoing faxes: fax1.com is a great solution, since there is no monthly fees. Because I seldom need to fax from my Treo, it will be basically free. But I have the ability to do so, if I need to.

3. I will be dropping Efax and saving $12.95/month!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    How do you view a fax with your treo? I received one, the e-mail was truncated, so i downloaded the whole thing, but it states that i still need j2 messenger
    Quote Originally Posted by PCSCURT
    How do you view a fax with your treo? I received one, the e-mail was truncated, so i downloaded the whole thing, but it states that i still need j2 messenger
    First, you need to receive your files in .tiff format. I think j2 sends their faxes in .tiff.

Next, you need a .tiff viewer on the Treo. Acid Image Pro is BY FAR the best for tiff viewing, but it is expensive. I also noticed that on my Sprint Treo, the "pics and video" app shows tiff files.

If you have the fax in tiff file, and a tiff viewer, it will work.
    They send the faxes via a .efx file. I believe some special extension for themselves. Is there anyway to view the .efx file???? Or convert it to a .jpg or .tif ?????? HELP!!!! Thank You soo much guys!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast