Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been reading all the postings on these two headsets, but I'm still torn as to which one is better. It's clear that it's not really worth considering any other headsets at the moment.

Here's what I've got so far:

Scala-500 pros:
    * "Louder"
    * longer talk time

HBH-660 pros:
    * Caller ID
    * Faster connect

Can anyone who's tried both comment on their preferences? Is the 660 really too quiet w/o the gel? How much longer is the connect time on the Scala?

I was thinking that I could just order both, and make my decision that way, but that seems a little wasteful. Are there any B&M stores that sell these?

Please post here if you've tried both headsets.
    -martin
    I haven't tried the Scala-500 but I can't imagine a better solution than the HBH-660 with the Jabra Eargels. It is so much quicker to place into the ear than dealing with an earclip and more secure also. Volume is excellent with the gel. Even without caller ID, the quick connect time and ease of use with Eargels makes it a clear winnner.
    connect time not bad, always connects before party picks up, or when I answer.
    loud enough to not need ear gels & very good sound w/ wind cancel.
    connect time not bad, always connects before party picks up, or when I answer.
    loud enough to not need ear gels & very good sound w/ wind cancel
    also...scala half the price of 660!!!!!
    i'm a logitech guy. how's the static on the sony and scala? right now i'm in the frame of mind that i can't avoid the static because of the version of bluetooth our treos use. there's too many hotspots in san francisco, so my headset's not so great walking around the streets. i'll try the sony if you all say static is rare.
    Used them both...the Sony wins hands down.

I do not have any issue with the volume, but had tried it with any ear gel for kicks...wow, talk about having to turn you volume down.

The quick connect is the best.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Used them both...the Sony wins hands down.

I do not have any issue with the volume, but had tried it with any ear gel for kicks...wow, talk about having to turn you volume down.

The quick connect is the best.
    Quick connect of HBH 660 better by about 1 sec

Fit with or without eargels Scala because of the bendable ear hook. Everyone's ear is different why would'nt sony make it Bendable.

All day comfort Scala HBH seems to sit way back of the ear

Sound Volume the Scala is louder NO question out of the box. This can be solved via Eargels and BTmute.

Caller ID I find useless as I wear the headset 95% of the time,and i would think that most people who buy this type of product would do the same .
    So I may as well look at who's calling on the phone screen and its very small to read. Most of the time,though ,I just let it auto answer

Price $42.00 scala $76 HBH 660 Scarla

Power 9 hrs talk time Scala 5 hrs HBH Scala

Size Scala

Ease of use, Volume button etc Scala the rotary button on the rear of the unit is alot easier to find

Look? Scala (just a personal preference)

Added extras Scala has a nice shirt clip and or lanyard ,HBH just a lanyard.Scarla

Static: I think the Scala is better by a little bit,when I used the HBH I had to disconnect from the phone to hear people a couple of times because of static never had to do this with the Scala this was in my backyard

In my car both headsets worked great with NO static.

The only thing that the HBH does Better is to pick up approx 1 sec faster, everthing else the Scala holds its own or does better.

Just my opinion, Good luck
    Last edited by sjjones; 01/01/2005 at 10:57 PM.
    ditto SJJONES!
  9.    #9  
    Cool. I think I'm leaning towards Scala. As nice as caller id is, i'll prolly use the phone for that anyway. Thanks all for replying.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    I haven't tried the Scala-500 but I can't imagine a better solution than the HBH-660 with the Jabra Eargels. It is so much quicker to place into the ear than dealing with an earclip and more secure also. Volume is excellent with the gel. Even without caller ID, the quick connect time and ease of use with Eargels makes it a clear winnner.

Re: Scala 500
    Happy New Year to all.

Thanks again to all who post with a wealth of info that I am glad to read!

As a producer and audio engineer who has not lost a great amount of hearing (yet!) in 25 years of professional work, I personally prefer not to stick a gel in my ear especially if having to turn down the volume is supposed to be a good feature of the 660.

I recognize (having made an unsuccessful attempt at using a body Glove blue voice on my first 650) that this is a personal preference and that the "volume issue" is one of the most important of the 650 BT issues but the Scala 500 is loud.

With respect to the scala, in my opinion, Volume is a non issue.

The Scala is pretty comfortable. I am convinced that if the BT protocol is updated in the T650, the Scala will rule. With respect to the comment about the Sony 660:

" It (660) is so much quicker to place into the ear than dealing with an earclip and more secure also."

I have to say that the above comment is a non-issue because I personally use the Scala 500 and it fits securely to one's ear as long as you bend the earclip hook to one's personal preference. More importantly, I personally leave the earclip on the Scala at all times and luckily it fits (with the earclip hook in place) in both the charging cradle and the shirt clip/belt clip (optionally) connected to lanyard.

For me, personally, it is easy to put the headset on my ear.

The real issues remain, however. I have had static with all BT headsets so far with the T650. It is very disappointing if one wants to use the 650 to make business calls. But both these headsets seem to be the lesser of the evils again, because of BT implementation on our T650's.

The good news is that with the Scala, I was told that the "tunnel effect", "old fashioned cell phone effect", digital dithering and noise cancellation artifacts heard by the people with which we speak were not as bad as they were when using the T650 handset (or speakerphone) with no headset.

Please note that I am sure almost everyone knows this but the BT Mute temp fix will not help when one dials additional numbers (such as passcodes and# etc) during a call. The additional amplitude (louder volume) disappears.

If I am incorrect about BT Mute and or toggling mute button,, I'd welcome a correction. Thank you.

Re: sjjones

Nice post. I agree.

sjjones- question ...Do you have intermittent static with your Scala? I'm thinking about trying the 660 again now that I have better perspective and realize that at this moment there seems to be no static free option with the T650. I'm keeping and using the Scala 500 in the meantime and would like to sell my "body glove blue voice" BT headset if i knew that it worked in another BT handset.

Thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag
    I've been reading all the postings on these two headsets, but I'm still torn as to which one is better. It's clear that it's not really worth considering any other headsets at the moment.

Here's what I've got so far:

Scala-500 pros:
    * "Louder"
    * longer talk time

HBH-660 pros:
    * Caller ID
    * Faster connect

Can anyone who's tried both comment on their preferences? Is the 660 really too quiet w/o the gel? How much longer is the connect time on the Scala?

-martin

RE:
    HBH-660 pros:
    * Caller ID
    * Faster connect

><<><><><><

I almost forgot to mention.

Re: HBH-660

Please note HBH-660 Con:

No redial.

As per Chazglenn3

"No redial with the HBH-660."
    see post:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66752

also:

RE: 660 comments
    12/19/2004, 12:25 PM * #1 Asystole
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66752

I also don't like the loud, brain piercing 'beep' when a call is answered or hung-up. It HURTS! Also, the neck strap is a ***** to disconnect.

><><
    This was the comment that led me to respond above with respect to protecting one's ears.

Redial (of last call) is working perfecting on the Scala 500 with TREO 650.

Thanks

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones
    Quick connect of HBH 660 better by about 1 sec

Fit with or without eargels Scala because of the bendable ear hook. Everyone's ear is different why would'nt sony make it Bendable.

All day comfort Scala HBH seems to sit way back of the ear

Sound Volume the Scala is louder NO question out of the box. This can be solved via Eargels and BTmute.

Caller ID I find useless as I wear the headset 95% of the time,and i would think that most people who buy this type of product would do the same .
    So I may as well look at who's calling on the phone screen and its very small to read. Most of the time,though ,I just let it auto answer

Price $42.00 scala $76 HBH 660 Scarla

Power 9 hrs talk time Scala 5 hrs HBH Scala

Size Scala

Ease of use, Volume button etc Scala the rotary button on the rear of the unit is alot easier to find

Look? Scala (just a personal preference)

Added extras Scala has a nice shirt clip and or lanyard ,HBH just a lanyard.Scarla

Static: I think the Scala is better by a little bit,when I used the HBH I had to disconnect from the phone to hear people a couple of times because of static never had to do this with the Scala this was in my backyard

In my car both headsets worked great with NO static.

The only thing that the HBH does Better is to pick up approx 1 sec faster, everthing else the Scala holds its own or does better.

Just my opinion, Good luck
    To each their own....I wear the 660 all day, while the Scala got discomforting after a few hours.

People say I sound better on the Sony, so that comes first for me, right after quick connect; i can usually hear people no problem; the volume "problem" is a boogeyman to me.

I think the Sony looks much better; when I was wearing the Scala, a couple people said; "what's that on your ear, a radio? (I guess it is, of sorts)". Sony seems much more discreet and professional. It's lighter too.

I disagree completely with the caller ID; if you have your phone in your pocket or pack, you can just look at the headset before deciding to answer; this is a real saver if you want to know who's calling before you answer. This is a big bonus.

All the controls (all two of them!) are very easy to find.

I have had no issue with battery life, but I do turn it off at night when not in use. Charges fast (compared to Scala, although Scala has larger battery) . Guess I don't have 6 hour conference calls....

I guess you can try both and see what you like; I went though nearly a dozen different headsets before settling on the 660 (for now ;-) ).
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    sjjones- question ...Do you have intermittent static with your Scala? I'm thinking about trying the 660 again now that I have better perspective and realize that at this moment there seems to be no static free option with the T650. I'm keeping and using the Scala 500 in the meantime and would like to sell my "body glove blue voice" BT headset if i knew that it worked in another BT handset.

Thanks

Mike

In regards to static in my car BOTH are equal No static issues, outside i have had some issues with HBH regarding static. As I said in my backyard HBH I had to disconnect , walked inside got the Scala hooked up NO problem? Maybe it was wind noise?All I know is that I had to disconnect with HBH not with the Scala

I think all BT headsets will have static ,the idea is to minimise the amount , which so far the scala has.

Just a note why brought the HBH, I had read so many postive remarks about it I thought that it would be so much better than the Scala, sorry to say its not, It does the same job Cheaper, if Caller ID is important Maybe? quicker connect time, the Scala is 1 sec slower ? you don't loose anything (I use sprint Voice dial its fine).

** one person I would like hear from is "woof" I think he had a HBH till he dropped his in water. I think he was getting a Scala replacement?

I remember he loved his HBH.
    Last edited by sjjones; 01/02/2005 at 11:46 AM.
    I have both the Scala and HBH and I prefer the HBH 660.

Scala:
    When using with the eargel you have to either take the eargel off to charge(a ***** everytime) or you have to modify the charger to accomadate the eargel. Also the charging cradle for the Scala feels cheap and the headset sometimes does not get seated properly, you just have to be careful with it and make sure the light comes on when charging. The overall quality is not as good as the HBH 660. My plastic piece on the scala speaker came off when I was trying to get my eargel on it. A little super glue fixed the problem-design issue.
    Sound: Excellent. No need for BT Mute patch. Connect is just a little slower than the HBH 660.

My overall impression is that the HBH 660 is just a better quality headset. It does not come with all of the el cheapo gadgets that the Scala does(belt clip, other attachments) but IMOP I keep my either in my pocket or on the lanyard under my shirt and not attached to my belt. The lanyard is tought to connect at first but loosens up a little with use. To me it's easier to use than the one that came with the Scala.

I also have an issue with my 650 not recognizing the Scala after I cut it off then back on. I have to delete the profile and go through the discovery process each time. This may be just an issue I'm having.

I'm keeping both. The 660 will be my main headset and the Scala I will use for a backup. You would not go wrong with purchasing either one of these headsets as there are not any on the market that even come close at this time.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mortgageguy
    I have both the Scala and HBH and I prefer the HBH 660.

Scala:
    When using with the eargel you have to either take the eargel off to charge(a ***** everytime) or you have to modify the charger to accomadate the eargel. Also the charging cradle for the Scala feels cheap and the headset sometimes does not get seated properly, you just have to be careful with it and make sure the light comes on when charging. The overall quality is not as good as the HBH 660. My plastic piece on the scala speaker came off when I was trying to get my eargel on it. A little super glue fixed the problem-design issue.
    Sound: Excellent. No need for BT Mute patch. Connect is just a little slower than the HBH 660.

My overall impression is that the HBH 660 is just a better quality headset. It does not come with all of the el cheapo gadgets that the Scala does(belt clip, other attachments) but IMOP I keep my either in my pocket or on the lanyard under my shirt and not attached to my belt. The lanyard is tought to connect at first but loosens up a little with use. To me it's easier to use than the one that came with the Scala.

I also have an issue with my 650 not recognizing the Scala after I cut it off then back on. I have to delete the profile and go through the discovery process each time. This may be just an issue I'm having.

I'm keeping both. The 660 will be my main headset and the Scala I will use for a backup. You would not go wrong with purchasing either one of these headsets as there are not any on the market that even come close at this time.
    I should mentioned the charger in my post, the charger of should been done better on the Scala , it should be similar the HBH 660 and others by just pluging a wire into the headset no cradle.

Tried the eargel thing on the scala and HBH and found it more comfortable without them although it does boost both volumes. If you are buying a HBH you should buy them.

If I do "loose" my connection with the headset all I do manually touch on/off switch on the headset and it makes the connection again. No deleting and reconnection

MortgageGuy: Whats been your experience with the static Both the same? one better than the other?

Do you use caller ID?

Any issues with power?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones
    I should mentioned the charger in my post, the charger of should been done better on the Scala , it should be similar the HBH 660 and others by just pluging a wire into the headset no cradle.

Tried the eargel thing on the scala and HBH and found it more comfortable without them although it does boost both volumes. If you are buying a HBH you should buy them.

If I do "loose" my connection with the headset all I do manually touch on/off switch on the headset and it makes the connection again. No deleting and reconnection

MortgageGuy: Whats been your experience with the static Both the same? one better than the other?

Do you use caller ID?

Any issues with power?

Thanks for the helpful and candid posts.

Re: eargel
    I agree. The scala does not need this modification in my opinion.. It's loud.

RE: re-pairing
    Mortgaguy: "I also have an issue with my 650 not recognizing the Scala after I cut it off then back on. I have to delete the profile and go through the discovery process each time. This may be just an issue I'm having."

It should not be necesary to re-pair. Many new users of any and all BT devices do re-pair(often) when they are not sure what is going on. This might be an issue with having multiple BT devices i.e.headsets etc paired to the not so perfect implementation of BT on the T650.

Great posts. I am still open to trying other headsets when availabe and still testing my scala 500 for comfort since I have not worn it for hours at a time yet. I do give the Scala a bonus for the ear clip hook being able to be manipulated/ bent to one's own desired position.

I am hugely disappointed with regard to the static situation indoors on all BT headsets with T650, but I might have to try Sony HBH 660 again "IF" Mortgageguy and others say there is less static with HBH than Scala in any and all locations especially near wifi

so... what's the static situation comparing in same locations.... if i may also ask users of both Scala 500 and HBH 660?

Thanks very much,

Mike
    I have not tried the Scala, but I would like to. Right now, the HBH-660 with a clear ear gel is almost perfect, except, outdoors in a windy situation. Lots of static on my end and poor voice quality on the other end of the call. I'm guessing that the dsp has trouble with this kind of background noise and falls apart. How does the Scala do in windy conditions?
    For me, static is almost non-existant with the HBH 660 unless I'm am 10-15 ft away form the phone. Then the static is noticable but still not bad. Only until I move further away than 15ft and approaching 30 ft does the static get bad. I seem to have just a little bit more static with the Scala. The Scala is a good headset and I would recommend buying it if price is an issue. If not, then go with the Sony. As far as the windy conditions, I have not put them to the test. Today I was talking to a friend of mine. I was at the beach and he was several hundred miles away and he thought I was on a land line calling him from my house. He was amazed at the clarity of the HBH 660 headset.
    Seriously speaking, you guys are confusing me big time. I dont know which one to get now. Maybe we should get a poll going here.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidoff
    Seriously speaking, you guys are confusing me big time. I dont know which one to get now. Maybe we should get a poll going here.
    you can't go wrong with either.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast