Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    I had static problems with the Scala 500 unless the phone was within a couple of feet from the headset. I couldn't even have the phone on my right hip and the headset on my left ear and walk around without lots of static on my end.

I was about to give up on bluetooth headsets but tried the HBH-300. I am happy to report that with the HBH-300 I have no more range or static issues. I suspect the 660 is also solid in the range department.
    I have the HBH 660, and with the new Sprint 1.12, I'm being told by people I've spoken with that my headset is very clear. Two people mentioned that they were surprised I was wearing a headset.

FWIW
    That's good to hear about the 660. I returned the Scala 500 this morning. I just couldn't see keeping a headset that crackled if you put the phone in your pants pocket on the same side of the body you wear the headset. I realized I would just be settling.

I haven't found a local store that carries the 660 yet. Given my lack of satisfaction with the motorola peices I tried (810 and 850) and the Scala 500, I'd rather get the 660 locally so I could easily exchange it. But, it sounds like people don't necessarily get the crackle when they put their phone in their pocket so I may just buy it off the internet from someone with a good return policy (if there is anyone).
    Just to follow up and help anyone who may be on the same endelss search for a decent bluetooth headset and are comparing the 660 to the Scala 500. . .

Price is the only clear cut advantage I found with the Scala after using both. Contrary to what some others have found, the 660 I'm currently trying out is quite loud. In terms of reference, maybe the Scala is one notch louder but also had a rather loud, but tolerable hiss at the highest level.

As far as my callers hearing me, for the first time, I got complaints that the 660 sounded very loud (this coming from one of several people that have helped me with test calls with the Motorola 810, Motorola 850, Scala 500, Jarba 250, and now this 660.

MOST IMPORTANTLY TO ME. . . The 660 is the first headset I have been able to wear and not hear static or have my caller hear static if my phone was in my pocket. I'm happily amazed so far. Others in the forum said the 660 would impress me in this respect and I'm glad they were right. Here's what typically happened when the others were in my pocket:
    - The Motorola 810 and 850 - Slight constant static on both ends of the call (meaning I heard it and my caller heard it).
    - Scala 500 - I heard quite frequent and constant static on my end. Callers on the other end did not complain about hearing static.
    - Jarba 250 - Definitely static in my ear when phone was in my pocket. Even holding it outside my pocket but still down low on my body caused some static. The callers also said that they heard constant static. (up until the pocket test, and putting aside the fact that I didn't care personally for the Jarba's look, the earpiece had performed well in the car or house when the phone was in line of site view.
    - HBH660 - My testing just began this evening but it past the pocket test with flying colors so far. All the other headsets after 10 seconds showed signs of static.

I hope this helps someone doing a search in the future.
    Last edited by lawtyger; 07/08/2005 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarrett42
    I had an HS-810, dropped it on the ground (fell 3 feet off a desk onto a hardwood floor), it split into two pieces. Motorola would not repair it, and would not replace any accessory with physical damage.
    I just dropped mine in water. Worked ok after dryout the 1st time I did this ... this time will not work.. I also, liked the 810. My only complaints were that
    1> Would instantly drop pairing after call. If I wanted to make a second call I would have to repair. (15 sec delay would be nice)

2>Every once in awhile would refuse to pair after call had been started.. Would repeated push link button to no avail.

Was thinking of getting the Treo 650 instead. Does it Fix any of the above? Anyone go from a 810 to 650 Bluetooth Headset?
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
  6. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    The HBH-662, and probably 660 as well, is WAY better than the Scala-500. IMO the Scala-500 was unusable, I had noise and range problem. Like when I had my Treo in my pocket, I get noise problems when I turned my head, unacceptable. The HBH-662 connects faster, has much better sound quality, and the build quality is also nice. The Scala-500 felt cheap, well, it is very inexpensive. I just wish it had worked better.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    To add my $.02...I've tried a Moto H500, which is awesome when you can get it to work, but it needs to be paired constantly and even then it doesn't always pickup calls. Now I have a Moto HS820 (on sale at Radio Shack for $39) and it works like a champ. The volume is a touch lower than the H500, it's a bit larger and doesn't fit as snug, but the darn thing works! A call comes in and I get a pleasant tone in my ear almost immediately. I press the multifunction button on the headset and it actually picks up the call EVERYTIME so far. If I turn it off the Treo finds it with no problem. It may not be the best, but it sounds clear on both ends, I have no static and I can walk at least 10 feet away without any issues.
    Last edited by LouCap; 01/22/2006 at 12:07 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    In keeping with the message of this forum, I bought a Scala-500 yesterday and have started testing it. I bought it at a local retailer to make returning it easier if I didnít like it. Mine came in Xmas packaging with a bonus car charger. It paired with my Treo 650 instantly and has had no trouble pairing again after being turned off. I can answer and end calls with it and even redial all from the headset. The fit is pretty comfortable, although I do find myself initially fussing with it fairly often trying to get the speaker to rest in the correct spot.

My first impression is that the unit is definitely louder than the Moto H500 or HS820. Sometimes though, it's not always louder in a good way. After using it for a time indoors my inner ear actually hurt. Not the structure of my ear, but rather my eardrum, probably because the Scala is louder and does protrude into the ear somewhat. Moreover, even after decreasing the volume, I still found the audio the Scala produces to be a bit piercing, probably because there's a lot of treble with little bass...it sounds a bit tinny. However, in noisy situations, it is much easier to hear a caller with the Scala than it is wearing my Moto HS820. I also noticed that the caller could over modulate if the volume is left too high.

Callers have stated that they can't really discern a difference between the two, except that the Scala sometimes sounds "closer" and driving noise seems to disappear with the it. As far as the Scala's claimed "wind noise cancellation" is concerned...that appears to be nonexistent, which was a big disappointment. In the wind-noise department there seems to be little difference between the Scala and my Moto HS820, so far.

I'm going to use the Scala exclusively today and see if it grows on me. Itís not a bad headset, but I might like the tonal quality on received calls of the Moto HS820 a bit more than the Scala. I have 21 days to decide.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Okay, after using the Scala exclusively for several days I finally decided to return it and continue my quest. Although I liked it, it just wasn't THAT much better or louder than my Moto HS820. In fact, several callers complained that the Scala "clipped" my audio, almost like there was a audio threshold or "gate" that was being activated whenever I spoke. I suspect this had something to do with the wind stop technology. In any case, 'm trying a Loitech Mobile Travler now and hope to find a local retailer that sells Sony headsets so I can test An HBH-660 or 662.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Okay, this might be a bit off topic, but after trying the Scala I got a logitech Mobile Traveler (as I mentioned in a previous post). If you've never tired one, you just have to give it a whirl. The audio is LOUDER then the Scala, the fit more secure and it works every time. The range is somewhat limited, but if you use it while driving or carry your Treo in a pocket or on your hip, this might be the ticket.

The scala 500 is good. The Logitech Mobile Traveler is better.
    Is there a retail store that any of you guys bought the HBH 660 from? I would like to buy this thing locally so if I dont like it i can simply return it and try out the next BT headset.
    Does the Scala 500 with the Treo 650 auto answer phone calls or do you press the talk button? I rather it didnt auto answer.
    Standby does it work well, do you have to turn the headset back on at some point.
    Currently have a H500 which is going back to the store. Standby doesnt work and it always auto answers with treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCap
    Okay, this might be a bit off topic, but after trying the Scala I got a logitech Mobile Traveler (as I mentioned in a previous post). If you've never tired one, you just have to give it a whirl. The audio is LOUDER then the Scala, the fit more secure and it works every time. The range is somewhat limited, but if you use it while driving or carry your Treo in a pocket or on your hip, this might be the ticket.

The scala 500 is good. The Logitech Mobile Traveler is better.
    I tried the Logitech Mobile Traveller after having broken the earloop on my Mobile Freedom. The outgoing sound was faint and tinny, so I returned it. I'm considering trying another one after trying the Plantronics Discovery 640. Couldn't get the eargels to fit my ear.
    Treo 650 on Sprint / Palm Case / 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678