Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I just got my Scala and I am pretty disappointed. The Motorola HS820 seemed to have better everything except volume... and the volume on the Scala definitely isn't as loud as people led me to believe around here. It's a tiny bit louder, that's all. I'll keep it because it's cheap and maybe I will get the BT800 when it comes out, but for now my vote is Scala 500: overrated.

Anyways, speaking of reception, it's a little bit better for me than the Jabra 250, but nowhere near as good as the motorola, which could go 15 feet through a wall without crackling the first time. The Scala crackles constantly unless the Treo is in direct view at no more than 3 feet. If I put my hand over the Scala the reception goes to hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro

I've been wearing this thing solid for several days but I think people are kidding themselves when they say the sound quality is as good as wired.

Sure the wow and convenience factors are big here, but the core issue is that bluetooth on the Scala still leaves something to be desired, and we can hope for a fix a la firmware upgrade from PalmNone.

For now, there is compromise.
    Hello

Your observations pretty closely resemble mine. I'm using the Scala 500 on the T650 and compared to another headset (body glove=which did not work right) this thing worked and had a louder amplitude/ volume so i was very pleased when looking at it with perspective with respect to the options available.

However, I am getting static indoors, (yes with wifi, I know . . . ) even when the T650 is inches away from the scala. I do get a lot of static when the 650 is out of the line of sight. It is undesirable and nearly impossible to use the BT headset for social or business calls unless I am practically holding the 650 in my hand or having it sit a few inches in front of me during the conversation.

The BT implementation is not right on the 650. If you try BT on other devices it is great. I have been using BT for data transfers for some time and have been pleased with the BT specification which is a 30 foot range. Devices and or laptops can be quite a distance away from each other when the BT implementation works. Also... oops PalmOne almost implemented the newer BT standard. But no .. 1.1.Almost.

I promise this is not a rant against the 650.. I am learning more and doing more with this device than any of the dozen Palm OS devices I have owned. I am loving the TREO 650; especially the screen. I just bought a 2GB SD card for it and I should be receiving it in a day or so.

Anyway, I love this device but the headset situation was so terrible that when we have two headset choices (out of a dozen or so) that wirelessly make a connection, we as 650 users apparently seem to be overjoyed but I'm not writing home about sound quality. Having no wires is very cool ; notwithstanding the geek factor. I also prefer the Scala's speaker instead of gels out of the box or a gel mod. I'm shying away from speaking to clients with the 650 on both the handset and the Scala BT headset now. If people are being honest instead of just being nice, they are unimpressed with the sound quality compared to ancient CMDA handsets. Maybe my particular phone or both of my 650's are just worse than others. We'll see this coming week when I try the third one.

I am counting on an update that will somehow improve sound quality. Yes, I have updated my ROM with a custom ROM and I love it but it did not help the sound quality with respect to the person listening on the other end of the conversation.

sorry for the long-winded response.....

Thanks

Mike
    I am not real impressed with the Scala headset...received it from Ecost today...charged it for 5 hours and played around with it for around an hour.....so far my Logitech is the best BT headset for me and the one to beat...I think its a matter of obviously personal preference, but also how your ear is shaped...the Logitech just seems to work real well for me...if anyone wants to buy my 1 Hour old Scala headset for cheap...PM me and we can work out the "deal of the century". I really don't feel like shipping back an item that cost me $49.46. Again, PM me if you want it...its literally brand new...check out my ebay account (rjmoose) to verify my credibility.

Thanks,

Ron
    I wonder if the 650s crappy bt is likely do to palm under powering the bt radio to increase batt life ...
    I really doubt that could be fixed in software.... anyone know?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I gotta admit that hbh-660 is way better than the Jabra BT 250. With the Jabra and BTMUTE this is awesome
    I've used the Scala for the fast 5 days now and I love it

granted, it has some flaws --- sometimes it doesn't connect to the Treo, however, if I leave it (Scala) on, then it will usually connect (so don't turn it off)

the volume is great --- could be louder, but pretty good ---- if you press MUTE (or use BTMUTE) then the volume will be EXTREMELY loud

however, BTMUTE only works around 60% of the time for me - any suggestions on how to fix that?

otherwise, I really like it overall - the sound is great, people can hear me clearly, and the connection is usually very good

I haven't tried to Sony, but the Scala blows the tails off of the Moto 810 and 850

and the Scala is under $50! great price for a great headset!
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Maybe mine is defective...people complain that I cut in and out sometimes. Also, the manual says to hold the on/off switch for 3 seconds to turn the headset on....mine takes about 10 seconds of holding down until it turns on....ANYONE else experience this?
    Mine also takes a long time to turn on. It takes 3 seconds to turn off, though.
    same here... 10 on....3 second off
    I had the scala for a week. It is loud but I had static problems even with the treo close. I bought the hbh 660 and I love it. I travel alot and I can walk all over a hotel room with the phone on the night stand. Even into the bathroom through the wall it works without static. I tried both for a few days and my wife says the hbh is much better when talking to her. The only drawback is the 660 does not fit into the ear canal its a little toward the back of your ear and then angled toward the ear canal. this makes it not as loud. Hopefully treo will get a fix for the sound problem. If they do the 660 has no static and very long range.
  11. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I just got my HBH-660, and I'll have to say that so far, I'm a little disappointed. And it's not the low volume, either.

My outgoing sound is terrible. I tested this by calling my work voicemail and leaving a test message. The results were bad. Not only did it sound like I was talking on a speakerphone, the message was choppy and hard to understand.

The incoming calls sound fine... and as soon as my earjels arrive, the low volume problem should go away. But unless I can do something about the outgoing sound, I will have to return them.

Anybody have any similar experiences?

(If I can figure it out how to do it, I will try to upload some sample messages)
  12.    #92  
    I got my HDH-660 the other day. The volume is fine for indoors and quiet car rides, but for outdoors and louder cars, you need the Jabra ear gels. I haven't had any complaints about sound quality based on my indoor experience.

One thing I dislike is that it's hard to put the headset on with one hand. The little loop that goes around the ear works well once it's on, but I need some time to stick it right. I suspect this will get easier over time.

As for the jabra ear gels, i just got some an hour ago and was wondering how do u guys fit them on? I can get them mostly around, but not around the portion that points towards the mic. Therefore overtime, the gel slips slowly. I'm hesitant at trying superglue. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag
    I got my HDH-660 the other day. The volume is fine for indoors and quiet car rides, but for outdoors and louder cars, you need the Jabra ear gels. I haven't had any complaints about sound quality based on my indoor experience.

One thing I dislike is that it's hard to put the headset on with one hand. The little loop that goes around the ear works well once it's on, but I need some time to stick it right. I suspect this will get easier over time.

As for the jabra ear gels, i just got some an hour ago and was wondering how do u guys fit them on? I can get them mostly around, but not around the portion that points towards the mic. Therefore overtime, the gel slips slowly. I'm hesitant at trying superglue. Any thoughts?
    ....just keep trying to get the eargel on. They do fit! they are just a little tight. I have been using mine for several weeks now and it has not slipped off once. I carry mine in my front pocket all day long and it works great.
  14.    #94  
    I took out a ruler and there's 5 milimeters of space between the gel and the base of the 660. Is that the best I can expect?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag
    ...As for the jabra ear gels, i just got some an hour ago and was wondering how do u guys fit them on? I can get them mostly around, but not around the portion that points towards the mic. Therefore overtime, the gel slips slowly. I'm hesitant at trying superglue. Any thoughts?
    Sounds like you're using the colored ear gels. The clear eargels seem to be the best ones (more pliable, asier to get on, stay on better). The clears can be found at Radio Shack.
    I've had my 660 for a few days. I must say the stock unit fits much better on my ear than the belkin one I tried before. I could not get the belkin to fit no matter what I tried. (works a little better with the eargels). The outgoing sound is not bad, but the incoming sound is very clear. I've had a couple of occassions where there is static, but redialing will usually fix it. I could not get the colored gels to go on it, so I will try Radio Shack to see if the clear ones work better. The volume is not bad indoors, and the mute trick works well.

So far, I like it, but I wish the outgoing sound was better.
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Ok, Great information guys, but I am still confused. Should I buy both the Scala and Sony and see which works best for me? There seems to be such strong opinions both sides.
    i was buying the sony but after watching this i am going to pick up the scala a local store has them in stock think the sound quality sold me. was liking the sony because of the caller id but think that is not necessary. Have the 250 and even with BT Mute it is not good.

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by bioart
    I've had my 660 for a few days. I must say the stock unit fits much better on my ear than the belkin one I tried before. I could not get the belkin to fit no matter what I tried. (works a little better with the eargels). The outgoing sound is not bad, but the incoming sound is very clear. I've had a couple of occassions where there is static, but redialing will usually fix it. I could not get the colored gels to go on it, so I will try Radio Shack to see if the clear ones work better. The volume is not bad indoors, and the mute trick works well.

So far, I like it, but I wish the outgoing sound was better.
    WHAT IS THE MUTE TRICK?
    When you start a call, hit the mic button to mute and unmute the mic. The volume will be magically higher (most of the time
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast