Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I just got the Scala 500 to use with my 650 and went for a drive in my Audi TT...

with the top down. Of course I had to make a call. Ben, who I called, heard me clearly, with slight background noise. Tried it on both ears, Ben reported a negigable difference. Volume for me was great. We talked for about 10 minutes. I will make a few more tests.

FYI I havent used the HPH-660 so I can't make a comparison.
    So does anyone who has the Scala 500 know whether you can use Voice Signal Voice Dial with it in any way? I really like that program but I know it is not supposed to work with bluetooth, which seems like a HUGE problem to me. I have never had a bluetooth headset but my Scala 500 should be here tomorrow. I unfortunately have only 2 days left of my free trial on the Voice Dial (and can'tfigure out how to reset that timing so I can try it with the headset).
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    No. Voice Dial doesn't work with the Scala 500 in any way.
    are you guys using hbh-660 with treo 650. i cant get the treo to find the hbh-660 however hbh-660 work fine with p900 and pda2k
    How far does it get in the pairing wizard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    it's snowing here today. Dug out the snow blower (electric) and went outside to clear the drive way. Forgot I had the scala on my ear. Wind is blowing 20mph or so, very nice out. Blowing the snow with the wind and making some progress on the driveway.

Phone rings. Have the treo on vibrate at the moment so I dont notice until I hear ringing in my ear. I dont want to take my gloves of to pull out the treo and see who it is so I just hit the answer biutton on the scala. It's someone I work with. He asks what I am doing. I reply cant you tell? He says it sounds like you are sitting in your office as usual. (seriously) I proceeded to tell him where I was and what I was doing. He was amazed. said h couldnt hear the blower or the wind. Asked where he could get one of course.

True story.
    okay woof, I remember reading you had the 660 and threw it away (er, lost it), and now you've got the scala (and I see you might be liking it). Can I consider this post as your recommendation of the Scala over the HBH-660? Care to mentions pros & cons of both?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Well after considering the varied posts on this and other threads, I have just ordered the HBH 660 and plan to get clear ear gels at Radio Shack. I'll post my experience.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to get the HBH 660 headset to work with a voice dialer. Is this through Sprint or another application solution?

Thanks for any recommendations.

jcComo
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo
    In the meantime, does anyone know how to get the HBH 660 headset to work with a voice dialer. Is this through Sprint or another application solution?
    Don't quote me on this but I do not believe anyone has been able to do this yet. This hasn't been too much of a problem for me since you cannot initiate a call by any means from the 660. I just activate voice dial on the Treo and use the speakerphone to start the call. The 660 picks up immediately, so it hasn't been too inconvenient. It would be nice to do it all from the headset, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that
  9.    #69  
    How does one activate voice dial on the 650? I was disappointed to see that the phone doesn't come with it, something that my 5 year old samsung did.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    So I've been using the Scala successfully, but I noticed that Bluetooth seems to be very "line of sight"...is this true for everybody?

I can be 10 feet across the room with the headset on and get good reception. However, the Treo has to be on my left in order to NOT have static. Also, I went for a walk last night and talked on the headset, and if the Treo was in my waist pocket I got static, but if it was in my breast pocket there was no static.

Is the HBH this sensitive? Did I get a Scala with less range than others? Yes my battery is charged on both sides.

Here's another question=== where is the bluetooth actually broadcasting from on my Treo? Is it coming out of the antenna, or somwhere else? If I knew that, I would try to position the phone optimally so I could get the greatest range...

hmmmmph.
    I just got my Scala and trying to get used to the whole BT experience. Question for you experienced BT'ers: Do you just leave it turned on or do you turn it off when you aren't using it? I read somewhere that it claims to have a week battery time when not in use so I figure I could just leave it on all the time? How often do you find you need to charge it and is it one of those batteries that you can recharge often and not affect the battery memory?
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I just got my Scala here in NYC (a store nearby carries them) and although I do hear a hiss, I think the volume and sound quality are great. It's just as good as my wired headset I was using. More tests later - it's charging!
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro

Is the HBH this sensitive?
    Yes, if you are outside and there is any wind, you'll get static. But inside (no wind of course), HBH is clear when walking.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    More specifically, I'm wondering about the sensitivity to distance, and whether my Scala unit is performing more poorly than others.

If the Treo is on my right breast pocket, there is more static than with it in my left, since I wear the Scala in my left ear.

Even with it there, static is more pronounced than if I have the Treo in my hand. If I turn my head away from the Treo=more static.

However, I can be in a straight line across the room and be totally clear, yet with the Scala <1 foot away (yet not directional toward the Treo in my pocket) there is static.

That's just frustrating to me because everything works okay otherwise. Is there that much variation between units, or is this consistent with what everyone else goes through?
    I get this annoying (and somewhat painful) screech when the call first connects that I dial using my Scala 500. Is this common?

Also, the person on the other end (more than one) tells me there is a slight echo when I'm on it, and on my end I hear some static. These are normal also? Is this the case with all similarly priced (or close) BT headsets?
    Last edited by TheTreoGuy; 01/10/2005 at 08:33 PM.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    If the Treo is on my right breast pocket, there is more static than with it in my left, since I wear the Scala in my left ear.
    Do you have a pacemaker that is interfering? No need to thank me for my excellent troubleshooting.

Clue
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    I get this annoying (and somewhat painful) screech when the call first connects that I dial using my Scala 500. Is this common?
    Yes.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    well, my avatar is an actual picture of me, so I'd have to be one of the youngest pacemaker recipients...

Also, since my heart is on my left side, wouldn't that make the reception worse instead of better?

I've been wearing this thing solid for several days but I think people are kidding themselves when they say the sound quality is as good as wired.

Sure the wow and convenience factors are big here, but the core issue is that bluetooth on the Scala still leaves something to be desired, and we can hope for a fix a la firmware upgrade from PalmNone.

For now, there is compromise.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    More specifically, I'm wondering about the sensitivity to distance, and whether my Scala unit is performing more poorly than others.

Even with it there, static is more pronounced than if I have the Treo in my hand. If I turn my head away from the Treo=more static.

However, I can be in a straight line across the room and be totally clear, yet with the Scala <1 foot away (yet not directional toward the Treo in my pocket) there is static.

That's just frustrating to me because everything works okay otherwise. Is there that much variation between units, or is this consistent with what everyone else goes through?

The same thing happens to me. If my treo is on my left side and my earpiece on my right side........STATIC!!!!!!!!!! This TOTALLY defeat's the whole bluetooth concept to me
    First Bluetooth vs. wired. Have someone call you on the handset, wired headset and then the Bluetooth headset. My experiance has been that everyone I call thinks the Bluetooth sounds better than the handset with or without wired headset. Most cannot believe I am on a headset.
    Static is for the most part a product of radio waves. When I first put my wireless router in every time my phone rang my computer disconnected. Bought a 5.4GHz phone, problem solved. Check around to see if you may have some form of radio causing static. Maybe a ham/shortwave radio, maybe the neighbors phone or even the neighbors wireless router.
    Then again it could just be crap bluetooth from the treo.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast