Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    My Scala arrived yesterday. I fully charged it and tried it out one time today. It has a background hissing noise when connected. Not static, just hissing, like when you turn music up too high on the stereo. (FYI: I'm brand new to BlueTooth).

Am I alone on this one?
    Do all Scala 500's do this and I just haven't seen anyone else mention this?
    Do all BlueTooth headsets do this and it is just a trade off for the convenience of BT?
    Or do I just happen to have a defective unit?

Thanks,
    Mine hisses just a tad. Playing with volume on the headset and pjone has minimized it or maybe I just tuned it out. I am real heppy with this one so far and I am NOT using any kind of eargels.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Hey Markito Burrito! Ha! These smartphone boards are like kissing cousins....anyway....My Scala 500 has the hissing noise too. It's my first bt headset and though it works fine, the hissing is a bit annoying. Does the 660 have the background hiss too?
    I have a slight background hiss, but I don't notice it unless I'm thinking about it. Thanks for making me think about it, jerk face. :-) (kidding of course)

I see it as a consequence of the Cardo's really high volume (relative to other BT headsets).
    I agree. When BTMute kicks in the hiss is basically gone (or at least not very noticable). It's like the source volume is low and the amplifier volume is high.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    I agree. When BTMute kicks in the hiss is basically gone (or at least not very noticeable). It's like the source volume is low and the amplifier volume is high.
    I have a slight background hiss, but I don't notice it unless I'm thinking about it. Thanks for making me think about it, jerk face. :-) (kidding of course)

I see it as a consequence of the Cardo's really high volume (relative to other BT headsets).

><<>

I agree as well. The Scala 500 headset produces more amplitude (volume) than others out of the box as has been posted.

If one used this headset at the high volume setting on another BT device (BT enabled Apple PB G4 as an example) one would considerably turn the volume on the headset to a lower position relative to the position it has to be on the Scala when connected to the T650. We are using the reserve in the Scala preamp and it works even if it is not pretty.

I have the hiss as well and as you manipulate the volume on the handset and the headset there is a happy medium with volume and least amount of hiss. If you had a stereo and your preamp was not efficient and pooped out, your power amp would have to be driven hotter and you would not produce or maintain what would usually be the optimal signal to noise ratio. Now imagine if you put a protocol (i.e. BT) or filter system of some kind in the chain that instead of passing "unity gain" (same volume with just the protocol or filter inserted) has the side effect of decreasing and not increasing amplitude.

In this case, we have the handset itself, the T650's BT implementation (for better or worse) and the additional preamp on the headset that is now forced to "make up gain".

Personally, I have solved the hissing problem by turning down the Volume on the T650 handset one notch. There are 7 Bars and the first bar is always lit in black. I turn the volume down so that there are 6 of 7 bars filled in black. Then adjust the headset to personal taste during correspondence and or checking voicemail.

Lastly it was great having BTMute with other BT headsets and the T650. I appreciate it! I no longer use BTMute or the Mute trick/workaround with the Scala. I do not find that even manually toggling the mute button will decrease hiss as previously posted. Your mileage may cary.

This might just be me but since I updated my ROM, I still sound like crap on the T650 to others with whom i speak (those on the other end of the conversation) but I have found that I hear others on both my headset and handset as if they were closer now more in line with other CDMA handsets. The Scala is loud. Yay.

Thanks

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    I agree. When BTMute kicks in the hiss is basically gone (or at least not very noticable). It's like the source volume is low and the amplifier volume is high.
    Does anyone know if Bluetooth audio on the Treo 650 is a line level type output? Basically can you do some adjustments on the phone like turning up the earpiece volume on the phone increases the BT volume too, or does it put out a constant, nonchangeable output and relies on the BT headset for all volume adjustment?

If it is the latter, then does Palmone need to tweek their BT audio output level?

Hopefully will get my 650 soon from VC, and the Scala is right now at the top of my list for BT headsets because it appears to have the best price/performance for the 650. Ecost has them for $41 right now too with free shipping!
    On my scala, changing the volume on the phone changes the volume on the headset. Of course changing the volume on the headset does that as well.
    Ditto. The phone volume and the headset volume seem to both adjust the volume. It works best for me with BTMute working, phone volume at Max minus 1 level, and then I just adjust the headset volume depending upon ambient noise.

BTW, lnichols- I bought mine from ecost too...worked great.
    Maybe I'm just lucky (or slightly deaf), but my new Scala doesn't seem to have a hiss at all ... Now if the voice tag feature would work I'd be a real happy camper.
    Anybody experience the volume on the Treo650/scala dropping low between calls? Doesn't sound like a common problem.
    I have a Motorola HS810. Everyone I talk too thinks I am on a land line, and no static. My question is that since I cannot hear them in my truck, has anyone tried an eargell with an HS810?
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdennyj
    I have a Motorola HS810. Everyone I talk too thinks I am on a land line, and no static. My question is that since I cannot hear them in my truck, has anyone tried an eargell with an HS810?
    From what I remember theres No way to put on without cutting and Glueing, theres no protruding speaker.
    After reading this board, I went with the Sony ($79 plus shipping on EBay), which I received two days ago. The reception is great, users never suspect I am on a cell phone, and the Jabra eargel makes the volume a non-issue, even without the patch (I am high-tone deaf and have hearing-aids which I never wear). I hated the ear-hook, having never worn any type of headset, but the eargel fits so well it would take a blow to the head to knock it off. Now if I just didn't look like a geek while wearing it...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Is anyone aware if a dongle of some type is available to use with a Treo 600 and 660? I'm sticking with the Treo 600 for now, but would love to use a BT headset. I know Jabra coming out soon with the BT800 (and they have a dongle for non-BT phones), but sounds like the 660 would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfanatic
    After reading this board, I went with the Sony ($79 plus shipping on EBay), which I received two days ago. Now if I just didn't look like a geek while wearing it...
    My wife says "Don't wear that thing near me while other people are around!"
    it's snowing here today. Dug out the snow blower (electric) and went outside to clear the drive way. Forgot I had the scala on my ear. Wind is blowing 20mph or so, very nice out. Blowing the snow with the wind and making some progress on the driveway.

Phone rings. Have the treo on vibrate at the moment so I dont notice until I hear ringing in my ear. I dont want to take my gloves of to pull out the treo and see who it is so I just hit the answer biutton on the scala. It's someone I work with. He asks what I am doing. I reply cant you tell? He says it sounds like you are sitting in your office as usual. (seriously) I proceeded to tell him where I was and what I was doing. He was amazed. said h couldnt hear the blower or the wind. Asked where he could get one of course.

True story.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    My wife is REFUSING(?!?!) to let me buy a Scala! She says I've spent too much money on my 650 nad its "accoutrements".
    1. My 650 was a "gift" from the Vice President of Sprint. (Spent time with him in Vegas on a business contest payoff and mentioned how much I wanted one. Two weeks later? Voila! Showed up at work!)
    2. My HS810 was ANOTHER contest payoff in which I won it and a Motorola V710.
    3. My Vaja I-Volution case was paid for with proceeds from the sale of said V710 on ebay (along with some VERY nice digital photography equipment I bought my wife for Christmas). Where the hell is this "spent too much on it already" crap coming from? Somebody send me a Scala out of the goodness of your heart! :-). Just kidding, but it is annoying. I have get one.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Dr. Doom-- I got married 18 months ago. Don't questions it. If you like sex, their logic is the way. You're not allowed to buy the Scala. (And my whole effort to convince her that "paying for it isn't cheating" completely backfired)
    I've been married for eleven years. You are absolutely right about going with their logic if you want sex, except in my case. For some weird reason my wife (unlike every OTHER girl I dated in college and high school) does not use sex as a weapon. Never has. Its one of the main reasons I married her (that and her SMOKIN' bod! Ah, the follies of youth. Luckily it turned out she's an awesome woman!) I almost wish she WOULD in this case. The pipe dream of a headset that won't kill me as I toggle mute doing eighty miles an hour down the interstate would be a lot easier to give up if I knew the sex was going to dry up if I didn't!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Ha! Very funny. Actually mine doesn't use it as a weapon either. I was just playing off the stereotype. Re the headsets...I have a Scala 500 which I like, but...I really want to try the HBH-660 with the ear gel thingies. The grass is always greener, you know?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast