Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just purchased a "5 in 1 PCMCIA Adaptor" to read SD cards, but the reader won't "see" the SD card from the Treo. Anyone else have similar problems -- or better yet, a fix? Anyone have a PCMCIA CS card reader they know for sure works? I'd especially love one that would read regular and "Pro" Memory Sticks too.

Thanks!
    Doug
    Doug
    I have a Flashlink 4 in 1 PCMCIA Card reader that I got off eBay for about $8 ($5 card, $3 shipping) last year. Uses Memory stick, Smartmedia, SD and MMC cards. Its pretty generic, lots of sellers are selling it on Ebay. It works fine with the SD card I have been using in my Treo. I have a Lexar SD card BTW.

Maybe it's the brand of SD card that isnt compatible? WHat brand of SD card to you have?

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    The problem may be your card reader. I bought a 11in1 reader and it wouldn't read my Memory Sticks. After several trials, I determined it was the reader. I exchanged it for another one, and the new one works fine.

Regarding PCMCIA, I've found a USB 2.0 card reader to perform better than the Sandisk 2-in-1 PCMCIA card reader I have.
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
    I had the same problem on my HPcomputers built in 6 in 1 reader. After 45 minutes of seaching I found a firmware update for the reader on HP's web site and ran it.

Now it works fine.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the ideas. I wish I could find the manufacturer to see if a firmware update is needed! :-) This PCMCIA card is brandless. :-( My SD card is a Sandisk 1 gig. So my best bet is to return the PCMCIA card and try again with a brand that we're sure works. Sounds like the Flashlink 4 in 1 PCMCIA would do the trick. Thanks!
    Doug
    Doug
    I wasnt aware it was a no-name reader, and Sandisk cards are usually compatible with everything... But some of the card readers have a capacity limit as well that hinder using it with high capacity cards, sometimes firmware helps. Make sure the new card reader you get can read a 1gb SD card.

The FlashLink PCMCIA card reader I have is made by SimpleTech, there are no drivers (even on their site), its simply plug and play, works fine with the 3 laptops I have with all my cards (but the highest cards I have are SD 256mb and smartmedia 128mb). Like I said eBay may be your best bet in cost. Good luck.

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    You might find a manufacturer if you chek under device manage and proerties.
  8.    #8  
    Checked under device mgr., and even with a memory stick in there (which it reads) it's still invisible. So I need to send it back and get the FlashLink PCMCIA card reader by SimpleTech. No problem. thanks again.
    Doug
    I have a 4 in 1 PCMCIA adapter which works flawlessly in 4 laptops (2 Toshiba and 2 IBMs) but doesn't work at all with my Sony Vaio GT1 or Toshiba dynabook SS!

I have an Eagletec one which works in all six laptops though.

So you just might need to buy a branded one.
  10.    #10  
    Eagletec is the one I'll look for then. Again... thanks.
    Doug
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas1836
    I had the same problem on my HPcomputers built in 6 in 1 reader. After 45 minutes of seaching I found a firmware update for the reader on HP's web site and ran it.

Now it works fine.

I'm using an HP Laptop with a built-in card reader and it won't recognise by palm's 1gig SD card.... I've looked at the specified software updates and there isn't one for the card reader... Nicholas1836... Any help on where on the HP website you found the firmware upgrade stuff regarding the internal card readers? Thanks
  12.    #12  
    Whoa -- so I'm not the only one with issues. Now I don't feel so bad about buying this nameless, brandless SD card reader! :-)
    Doug
  13.    #13  
    If anyone ever finds a URL for a PCMCIA-sized SD card reader (especially if it'll read memory sticks and memory stick "pro" cards), I'm an instant client for some well-meaning businessman out to make $50 off of me (or whatever they cost really). In fact, I'll buy 2! :-) Can't find the ones mentioned above so far.
    Doug
    Doug
    Let me give you some help... I've been buying from both sites for years with great results and good customer service. And all of these cards claim they are compatible with memory stick pro!

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...=5IN1-PCMCIA-N
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...163-404&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...176-822&depa=0

-=-=-
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    I've used many PCMCIA card readers over the years. A lot of them have capacity limits. Check and make sure your reader will read a 1gb SD card. I would bet that is the issue.
    I think I found it under a usb category. It took me awhile and when I found it it said was a 6 in one reader firmware update. I only have 4 slots but my reader is considered a 6 in one reader so that through me off for a little while. I finally looked at the stickers on my computer and the reader is listed there as a 6 in one.

I do remember that you goto www.hp.com and go to support and put in the model of you computer. Then look for a download for "files and drivers". Then carefully read all of the stuff for usb. Usually card readers (even internal ones are usb) The upgrade I used did not even address the problem directly that I was having but I tried it and it worked.

You can tell if the reader is usb by going to device manager in windows.

My guess is that the originally sd cards and readers were not entirely standardize when it came to the bigger sizes. They may not have expected the cards to become so big when the readers were first made. However, unlike hard drives that issue should be correctable by software since SD cards are really memory chips.
  17.    #17  
    TechPrincesse, are we sure those three options are all compatible with 1 gig SD cards? They look really similar to the one I have. How will I know which ones work? I guess I'd rather go with your Simpletec or Cyril's Eagletec, since they're tried and successful. However, my SD card is 1 gig... and I'm now wondering about the size limit thing mentioned above. Looks like vendors aren't addressing it. :-(
    Doug
    Here is a 5 in one made by Sony Vaio... $35 with free shipping
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...oc=101&rp=true

Here it is with more information on the Sony site... $40 here and I am not sure of what the shipping would be: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ctSKU=VGPMCA10

The information says: "does not support memory cards with capacity of 2GB and over." So it should be safe for your 1GB card.

Hope that helps!

-=-=-
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    ive used my SD card in my Toshiba P20 laptop, with built in SD slot, and no problems there
  20.    #20  
    Rats! 12 hours too late. Just ordered the Sandisk reader from J&R Photo this morning. I figured, since my 1 gig card was a Sandisk, they oughta be in touch with their own stuff! :-) It was $29.88. Thanks though!
    Doug
    Doug
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast