1.    #1  
    I'm a new Treo 650 user and I can't for the life of me figure out how to add a custom ringtone for each one of my contacts...? Can someone help?

Thanks,

Sam Wegnut
    The only way I know of is to set up the contact as a favorite button and then from there you can set the ringtone, but I don't know if you can in the phonebook...
    I posted most of this elsewhere but I think it will answer your question

I have been reading the posts and became obsessed with creating ringtones by recording them with my TREO 650. I tried the "'new" option under phone -sound preferences -tone manager and it would only make alarms but not ringtones. I installed "mp3ringer" then "mring" to play other files (mpg wav ect.) for ringers. I could make mp3 and wav files on my computer and send them to the TREO but this was inconvenient.

But I could not find a program to record directly on the treo 650 and create a file that played a ring tone.

What I discovered is that "mring" and apparently "mp3ringer" will only play uncompressed wav files and mp3's

I tried mvoice, express dictate, sound recorder and the the palm recorder in shadowmites fixed rom and they did not work. by the way THE ROM IS AWESOME

Finally I tried "wave edit" which supposedly does not support the TREO 600. (as stated on their web site)
    It records in two formats, compressed and uncompressed wav. The uncompressed wav format worked.

So now I can record anything with my TREO and make it into a ringer. I use "mring" to play them because mring can assign a ringer to each contact. MP3ringer seems a little more stable but mring has more flexibility.

When I get a call from home my ringer is in my daughters voice and says "Daddy this is a call from home" and it repeats quite nicely
    I have other ringers that say things like "oh crap it's Dan calling"
    "Wave Edit" also had one of the best quality recordings.

Wave edit will also load incompatible wav files stored on the 650 and convert them to usable wav files.
    how can you say the that mring is more flexible than mp3Ringer?

you can assign individual contact and group sounds. You can also you any recorded wav file and use it as a ringtone. We use our Personal Audio Recorder to record wav files and it works great.

hotsyncing mp3/wav to the treo is easy. just drag and drop then on the InstallTools.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    I tried both programs and they were both good I just found mring easer to use. Perhaps I am incorrect but doesn't mp3ringer assign ringtone to groups rather than contacts? Then you have to create a group and add a contact to that group if you want a person to have an individual ring.

At any rate, don't get me wrong mp3ringer is a good program. Its design appearance is also more attractive than mring.

The advantage mring had for me was mring can assign a ringtone to an individual contact without creating a group. You don't have to create a group for each person you want to assign a ringer. I use groups to divide my contact list to make it easer to search as I have about 600 contacts. So adding contacts just to assign a ringtone would slow down my search of contacts and adds an extra step when you are assigning a ringtone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas1836
    I tried both programs and they were both good I just found mring easer to use. Perhaps I am incorrect but doesn't mp3ringer assign ringtone to groups rather than contacts? Then you have to create a group and add a contact to that group if you want a person to have an individual ring.

At any rate, don't get me wrong mp3ringer is a good program. Its design appearance is also more attractive than mring.

The advantage mring had for me was mring can assign a ringtone to an individual contact without creating a group. You don't have to create a group for each person you want to assign a ringer. I use groups to divide my contact list to make it easer to search as I have about 600 contacts. So adding contacts just to assign a ringtone would slow down my search of contacts and adds an extra step when you are assigning a ringtone.
    Not sure where you get your info from but mp3Ringer does both individual and group contact ringtones. You do not have to do anything. mp3Ringer will pickup whatever you have created in the Contacts app.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca