Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Could I hear from some Sprint 650 owners in NYC? I am a Verizon customer who is thinking about making the jump to Sprint in order to get my first Treo. How is Sprint in NYC? I mainly use my phone in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and a little on Long Island. Anyone think I should just get a 600 for Verizon or would the 650 on Sprint be the way to go? I'm dying for a Treo, hellllllp!!!!!!
    I was a Verizon customer in NYC for six years before jumping to sprint about 8 months ago when I got my first Treo, the 600. I now have the 650 and I find it works great. If you pay an extra $5 a month on top of whatever plan you decide to get, you can get free roaming. When the 650 roams digitally when you run into the occasional spot where there's no Sprint service, there's almost always a verizon signal (which is the network that the 650 digitally roams to in NYC). The cost of sprint service is much cheaper to begin with, even with the extra 5 bucks for roaming. You can have the best of both worlds for a much better price with Sprint.
    Very well said - I am very happy with Sprint service.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I just switched to Sprint (T650) from Vzw (T600) and I am very pleased so far. I live in Westchester but I have been in NYC, Queens and Brooklyn with the Treo and I have been surprised with how good Sprint's coverage has been. There are certain areas in West. where Sprint's coverage is much better than Vzw.

So after the vote for Sprint, if anyone is interested in buying a 2 month old Vzw T600 (with car charger and 2 desktop cradles) you should PM me as I will be listing it on ebay next week.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    I agree that Sprint's coverage in Manhattan is great. In Queens too. I rarely go to Brooklyn or the Bronx.

The only place I've found where Verizon has coverage when Sprint has slim to none is at La Guardia airport in the ground level offices and aircraft hangars. But unless you are an airport employee you should never need to go there. In the public passenger terminal areas, it's perfectly fine. So, Sprint should work great for you!
    ...oh I forgot, in Inwood, I get weak coverage when at my friend's apartment on the second floor but that may be because of the old building. As soon as I am outside it's full signal. I don't know if Verizon would be better however. The best thing to do is ensure your primary locations (where you spend most of your time) have good coverage. Find someone with a Sprint phone and check. There is nothing worse than finding out you have to go outside to get coverage at your workplace or home.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Thanks to all of you...this eases my mind tremendously. I am even going to bite the bullet on the Verizon termination fee (contract through 7/05) so I can get this. Combine the phone with these forums and it's going to be awesome!
    Sprint in NYC is great on both phones (sanyo 8100 and treo 600)
    Plus if I need to use either phone for dialup on my laptop with the unlimited vision data which is much better than dialup.
    A freind recently wient to Paris and signed up for their interntational plan ($4/month) and he said his treo worked fine there too
    "Always changing; everything for good, nothing for nothing."—Flying Hawk, Sioux Chief

Jonn Nubian/First Generation Urban/Brown Eyed Intelligence

My sites mobile formatted for the Treo
    here
    say what? your friend used sprint treo in france?
    Treoing & Loving it
    yeah Nubian please explain. france is gsm only as far as I know
    IMO, Sprint is better than Verizon in Manhattan. I've never had a dropped call on Sprint, while VZ calls got dropped all the time. I get full signal in many places where VZ only got 2 bars. But, if you go to Fairfield County (CT), there are a lot of areas where Sprint has no presence at all. My phone switches in and out of roaming every 5 minutes when traveling on the Merritt Parkway.
    Regards,

Robert
    I drive the Merritt parkway between NY and New Haven very often and I have a Sprint signal on my 600 just about all the way. I have roaming turned off since it is not really necessary. There is a short section around New Rochell that I lose the Sprint signal for 30 seconds and that's about it. Maybe you should take your phone into a Sprint store to get an HP test?

edit: I am not exactly sure if the spot I lose the signal is in New Rochell or not, it is at the bottom a a couple of hills and not for long. There used to be a section in Greenwich that had no signal but there is a signal as of 8 months ago (probably due to a new tower?).

I used to have Free and clear America for $5/ month. That was kind of a waste in my neck of the woods because I get exc Sprint coverage so I terminated it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    IMO, Sprint is better than Verizon in Manhattan. I've never had a dropped call on Sprint, while VZ calls got dropped all the time. I get full signal in many places where VZ only got 2 bars. But, if you go to Fairfield County (CT), there are a lot of areas where Sprint has no presence at all. My phone switches in and out of roaming every 5 minutes when traveling on the Merritt Parkway.
    Last edited by newtreouser; 01/01/2005 at 11:00 PM.
    Hi Chic-a-dee, I'll stick my neck out and say that you will not be disappointed with Sprint's network. I've had them since 2001 and been very satisfied. Just watch your bills for bogus charges. Other things to watch out for are changes to your contract without your approval. Keep good records and get it in writing if possible just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Glad to hear from you guyz about Sprint, since I am about to switch to Sprint and get a T650
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I drive the Merritt parkway between NY and New Haven very often and I have a Sprint signal on my 600 just about all the way. I have roaming turned off since it is not really necessary.
    This probably accounts for the difference. If you have roaming on, then the phone will switch when the main carrier signal is lower than the alternate carrier by a certain threshold. So with roaming off, you might well get some usable signal all the way. The wierdest thing I get is in the parking lot of the Stop & Shop near my parents house: I get 3 bars of signal at one end of the parking lot and no bars at the other.
    Regards,

Robert
    I think you're right about the roaming. The roaming algorithm don't work all that well. I only turn on roaming if I need to make a call in a no Sprint area, which is very seldom in the areas I go to. If you travel to VT, NH, Maine it would be useful to have roaming on.

Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    This probably accounts for the difference. If you have roaming on, then the phone will switch when the main carrier signal is lower than the alternate carrier by a certain threshold. So with roaming off, you might well get some usable signal all the way. The wierdest thing I get is in the parking lot of the Stop & Shop near my parents house: I get 3 bars of signal at one end of the parking lot and no bars at the other.
    most of my family is on sprint, and they all want to seem to get off it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Srint here in NYC, Bronx & Beooklyn, And lovin it.... The only thing I would love to have on my T650 is Roam force, That would be great... (I think Shadowmite is working on it)
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    So considering that 80% of the time I will be in the the 5 Boros, would you suggest that I don't really need the $5 roaming option? All I should need to do is turn off roaming on the 650? Or am I just better off getting the add on to be on the safe side?
    Also, does the roaming include data or just phone svc?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm2004
    So considering that 80% of the time I will be in the the 5 Boros, would you suggest that I don't really need the $5 roaming option? All I should need to do is turn off roaming on the 650? Or am I just better off getting the add on to be on the safe side?
    Also, does the roaming include data or just phone svc?
    If within the 5 boroughs only, I would start without the roaming and see how it goes. If there are spots where you find you have less than desirable coverage, add the roaming option but I don't think you'll need it.