1.    #1  
    Any time I try to search an address, location, etc. Mapoplis resets my Treo.

I am running Mapopolis from RAM and the maps from SD.

I can browse the maps just fine however. When I go back into Mapopolis after a reset, the system reports an error code 220-8851 or something like that. It says something about not being compatible with all hacks.
    No problems here. I have both Mapopolis and maps on the SD. Use ZLauncher to run Mapopolis. No hacks used on my unit.
    What kind of Treo? If a Treo 650, I had similar problems.

The solution offerred will be to cut down on the number of maps in your MAPS directory structure, use Major-Roads maps first, and then local county maps for "finds", and try to keep your search within 10 or 25 miles from Map Center when on county maps.

That wasn't always easy for me to do, and I was having crashes all the time.

If I just described your problem (or even if not, I guess!) please be sure to contact Mapopolis Support with the issue. The more 650 users they get reports from, the quicker they'll address 650-related issues.

I've reported issues like this, and their replies were along the vein of "No one else is having problems like that on their Treo 650".

Not trashing Mapopolis. I can't wait to start using it again (I had it on my Treo 300). But I couldn't deal with the crashes.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
  4.    #4  
    I have a Treo 600 GSM model, so it may be a different problem from the 650 problem reported.

What do you mean by maps directory structure? I just dump all the files to a folder on my SD card called \maps.

I have about 3-4 county maps (Toronto area) and the major roads map for my province. I don't think that is a large number?

I will try your suggestions of limiting the searches to 10 or 25 miles from the centre of the map.

In terms of "hacks", I have things like Treo Butler, TreoGuard, Qset, Powerrun (but not using it with Mapopolis), ProfeoLite. I don't see how any of those would conflict with Mapopolis though...
    Treo 600 GSM
    Check out the doc and you'll see how they recommend spreading out maps in sub-folders within your \maps folder on your card.

4 maps doesn't sound excessive to me, but it may depend on their size. I gave up when 7 maps was still too many.

A lot depends on how you do your searches. They need to do a bit of work there so the software determines the best way to search instead of telling us we have to. This has been promised for future releases, but no indication as to what timeframe (or what year, what platform) that will be delivered in.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    This is what they told me. Gotta buy new maps. That sucks.

The 2.2 viewer for Palm OS 5 works with a special PATCH for Treo 650.
    This
    requires maps NC or ND. I am guessing you have NB map(s). You would
    need to
    purchase ND maps which are the current ones.

The patch that goes over the 2.2 viewer from under DOWNLOAD APP: PALM
    OS 5 PDA
    on our site is in the attached zip file.

Cheryl @ Mapopolis
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    mg48,

That patch corrects a problem where you can't read any of the text (or buttons on the bottom of the screen) in Mapopolis 2.2 on the Treo 650.

If you check out the Mapopolis section on www.gpspassion.com Mapopolis support (Lamar) posted that Treo 650 support will be in the NEXT release, AFTER the one which is currently in development for the Palm platform (which isn't even out for beta yet).

ChickenHawk
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Good info thanks. I haven't messed with it yet. Once I saw that I can't search by address it is pretty useless to me right now. Hopefully thye will get it fixed without making us buy all new maps. We'll see.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    If you email Lamar from Mapopolis support he will send you a beta version of 2.2 for the T650. Mapopolis crashes for me as well. I have split my maps into separate directories on the card and I ususally only search "10 miles from the center" and that seems to have stopped it. Im sure it has to do with the memory issue because it only happens when Im running certain programs such as Butler or KBlights.

Mo
    Use the fewest maps (and smallest search area) that you can.

I usually have all Texas maps on my card, but move/copy the ones I need to a seperate directory to facilitate searching.

So on my card I have:

\Maps\Texas\

Under that, I have a directory called \use. Anything that I'm currently using gets moved/copied there. The major roads map usually stays there.

For routing purposes, my experience has been that going to an address from the address book is the most reliable, as the address is already there. Manually entering an address should yield the same results, but finding by place can cause hangs/resets.

Also, generating routs with too many maps in one directory can cause very (30 minutes or more) searches that have forced me to soft reset.

(Treo 600)
    Im sure it has to do with the memory issue because it only happens when ....
    Of course it's memory related. There are two main issues:

1) Map management. Which is why PabloTX has to play the kind of games he describes in the post right above this one. Mapopolis has promised to deal with this, but they aren't there yet.

2) NVFS memory in Treo 650. The "record size" has increased in this implementation of the Palm OS (kind of like the segment size issues we used to have to worry about with the FAT file system in Windows). Mapopolis writes a ton of records while calculating a route and/or performing a find (nothing wrong with that, really). But, when they write a small work-file record on the Treo 650 it uses 512 bytes now. That adds up fast and before you know it ... RESET!

Hard to tell if the much-anticipated Palm fixes will help with #2, but probably not. Mapopolis (and lots of other software vendors) has to deal with how this operating system works. I'm sure they'll get to it, but that's the issue.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    This is what they told me. Gotta buy new maps. That sucks.

The 2.2 viewer for Palm OS 5 works with a special PATCH for Treo 650.
    This
    requires maps NC or ND. I am guessing you have NB map(s). You would
    need to
    purchase ND maps which are the current ones.

The patch that goes over the 2.2 viewer from under DOWNLOAD APP: PALM
    OS 5 PDA
    on our site is in the attached zip file.

Cheryl @ Mapopolis
    Well...after installing 2.2 I can confirm it certainly needs SOME kind of patch (I have ND maps). But I can not find any patch for 2.2 on their site. Looks like I need to email them?
    Quote Originally Posted by klam
    Any time I try to search an address, location, etc. Mapoplis resets my Treo.

I am running Mapopolis from RAM and the maps from SD.

I can browse the maps just fine however. When I go back into Mapopolis after a reset, the system reports an error code 220-8851 or something like that. It says something about not being compatible with all hacks.
    I seem to recall an email from Lamar at Mapopolis saying that 88xx errors are map errors. Mapopolis recommends that you get new maps from their web site when this happens. Some of their maps get updated for compatibility with the latest software and that does NOT require purchasing a new subscription (if your subscription is current). I think it's a good idea for anyone with search crash errors to re-download their maps and see if that helps.
    I starting having this issue after adding some new maps. Mapopolis does not like have different types of verisons of maps. I was able to zip (pack) and move the older maps so that I could use Mapopolis during my visit to disneyworld.

carl
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com