Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    As most of you "power" Treo 650 users are doing, I am installing many of larger applications on my SD card (1 GB.) Personally I use LauncherX as I like it's UI and ease of use, and it's working great, and load times are quick. (I know there are lots of other launcher favorites out there, just wanted to mention my particulars.)

I also don't mess too much with "bundling" associated prefs, I just install the app on the SD card and the preferences get saved to internal memory. I've got about 5 MB free and I'm fine with that. Everything works great. (It helps that I leave my conduit apps like Vindigo, AvantGo, and Hand/RSS on the internal so I can access them easily, as well as sync them from both the desktop and wirelessly without any hassles.)

What I am finding now is that when I delete an app (like a game I no longer like) from the SD card, its prefs are left behind on the internal memory. In order to delete these files all together I have to copy the app to the internal memory first, and THEN delete. If I don't do that, I have to remember to delete them manually, guessing as to what their names might be.

So what I'm wondering now is if there's a better way. I recall a utility that would scan for "orphans?" When I experimented with ZLauncher, it did indeed copy the app and all of it's associated prefs back and forth between the SD card and internal memory, but that resulted in slower load and quit times.

What methods do you guys use to make sure there's no files left behind? On the memory-limited Treo this becomes an issue. Every kilobyte counts.
    The NeatFreak pack is a lifesaver. Use UninstallManager for most applications, but Cleanup to get rid of orphans already on the device.

http://www.northglide.com/products.html
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Thanks clambert, checking those out now.
    CleanUninstaller does this for apps installed after CU's installation. Have yet to try it.

http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...e&prodID=57107
    thanks, i had the same question. being a newbie to the PALM OS, I do not understand the directory structure, OS, etc. I know with windows, I can just go to add/remove and uninstall a program. but on the Palm, when i list all the applications, there are so many files that i wonder if they are all necessary. i am not stupid enough (barely) to just start deleting them, but I am tempted.

i will try out some of these programs maybe.
    I also use Uninstall Manager, it's terrific! I even went so far as to do a hard reset on my 650 so I could install UM as my first app.

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    I also use Uninstall Manager, it's terrific! I even went so far as to do a hard reset on my 650 so I could install UM as my first app.

tanster, i am thinking of doing the same thing.
    i just got mine a couple weeks ago, so would not lose much.
    how do you do a hard reset, and what is lost (just what i added since I got it from amazon? In other words, will it put me back to the status when shipped, or does it erase everything (os included?).

also, do i need to ininstall the hotsync software too so that it will not reinstall all the apps. i just erased?

thx. any tips would be appreciated.
    Installation of the uninstaller would make a great sticky for new users like me, who have a hard on for 2 weeks with their new toy, and just start installing everything under the sun.
    thx.
    Last edited by hokey_days; 01/31/2005 at 04:42 PM.