Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Does the Treo 650 have some sort of today screen like the PPC has? Mainly something that has all my appointments for today, the date/time, and my tasks. Oh, and can you have custom backgrounds?
    I use Wassup. www.pocketscience.com.au Works well on the 650 and 600
    Yes- its in the calander!
    Look no further than the 2Day app from http://www.shsh.com . It was written specifically for the Treo to be even better than a Today PPC app. It works with pretty much all of the apps you would need to summarize alerts and data from- email, SMS, IM, calendar, etc.
    Wife uses Facer Launcher 2.0 and works like a charm on her 650. www.pocketcraft.com
    Facer looks nice and clean, I like it so far, using PowerRun to move to SD Card so I find ZLauncher a little much, this seems nice.
    Tried Megalauncher too, that was good, I will run the trials for both and decide which to buy.
    To follow up on experiment626's post about 2day; No disprespect meant to the developer, but it is such a bad looking, cluttered application. Especially on the Treo 650. I tried to like it on the 600 when I had one, but it is just so darn cluttered with icons and low res ones at that. Even on the 600 I ditched it in favor of what's up. Tried it again on my 650 and again ditched it because it is just so ugly and hard to see what info you are looking for; IMO the complete antithesis of what a today app should look like.

Now granted, 2day has more functinality and features then Wassup, Today, ZLaunchers today plugin, and Facers today screen; so if that is your primary interest then 2day wins hands down. BUT, for me, I want a today app to show my day at a glance, with ease and elegance. So that I don't have to strain and wonder at the sheer number of chaotic icons screaming at me in low res.

The built in calendar app does this well and without any memory bloat or speed hit. Wassup does a fine job as does Today. The ZLauncher today plugin is dog slow and makes your machine crawl, so I just went with the calendar plug in.

I would probably like 2day a lot if the author updated it for hi-res and smaller fonts, cleaned up the interface and made many of the screen selections optional or configurable in the preferences. That way the many people that enjoy the screen as it is in the application now, could keep it that way, and the people like me who want a more streamlined and simple appearance could make it so...
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    To follow up on experiment626's post about 2day; No disprespect meant to the developer, but it is such a bad looking, cluttered application. Especially on the Treo 650. I tried to like it on the 600 when I had one, but it is just so darn cluttered with icons and low res ones at that. Even on the 600 I ditched it in favor of what's up. Tried it again on my 650 and again ditched it because it is just so ugly and hard to see what info you are looking for; IMO the complete antithesis of what a today app should look like.

Now granted, 2day has more functinality and features then Wassup, Today, ZLaunchers today plugin, and Facers today screen; so if that is your primary interest then 2day wins hands down. BUT, for me, I want a today app to show my day at a glance, with ease and elegance. So that I don't have to strain and wonder at the sheer number of chaotic icons screaming at me in low res.

The built in calendar app does this well and without any memory bloat or speed hit. Wassup does a fine job as does Today. The ZLauncher today plugin is dog slow and makes your machine crawl, so I just went with the calendar plug in.

I would probably like 2day a lot if the author updated it for hi-res and smaller fonts, cleaned up the interface and made many of the screen selections optional or configurable in the preferences. That way the many people that enjoy the screen as it is in the application now, could keep it that way, and the people like me who want a more streamlined and simple appearance could make it so...
    Hi,

Thanks for your input.

Please allow me to "but in" and try responding:

1. I do plan on releasing a hi-res version soon.

2. You already have ability to get rid of most icons using 2day's prefs:
    - "Todo" preferences - uncheck "Show icons"
    - "Launcher" preferences - Check "Off" on top.
    - "Plugins" preferences - uncheck all options.

This will leave you with only top line icons (and you can get rid of most of them using the "Monitoring" preferences page).

Hope this clears out your screen a bit...

3. ANY additional input/ideas is MOST welcome !

Thanks !!!
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    I use Today 2.2, does a good job, and can't beat the price...FREE!!

Also have used Facer, which I like as well, more of a Pocket PC feel for me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Simon, when I installed 2Day on my T650 it runs really slow. There is a long delay time before the screen appears, it ran so slow in fact that I removed the program. I think 2Day is a great program and I am awaiting release of a new version before trying it again. I have version M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone
    Simon, when I installed 2Day on my T650 it runs really slow. There is a long delay time before the screen appears, it ran so slow in fact that I removed the program. I think 2Day is a great program and I am awaiting release of a new version before trying it again. I have version M.
    Hi,

Can you tell me at what stage the delay was ?

Thanks
    Shimon Shnitzer
    It happens when the page is starting or refreshing. I have 2day mapped to the calendar button.
    It happens when the page is starting or refreshing. I have 2day mapped to the calendar button.
    Did you manage to see the top icons or anything ?
    The background ?

I am trying to determine is the delay is caused by reading the calendar database, the tasks database, or anything else...

Actually - you can test it for me (if you will) - install 2day, then in the preferences, uncheck "Show calendar" & "show to do", and see if the app runs faster.
    (Try those one by one - first display only tasks, then only calendar, the niether)

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    I tried your test. The program opens OK, but the todo and calendar take awhile to load (a few seconds). However, when I try to use the button to go to another program the switch is very long (about 40 seconds).
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I use Today 2.2, does a good job, and can't beat the price...FREE!!

Also have used Facer, which I like as well, more of a Pocket PC feel for me.
    Grab Today 2.2. It does exactly what you are looking for. As for custom backgrounds it is very easy to make a background skin for Today.
    I tried your test. The program opens OK, but the todo and calendar take awhile to load (a few seconds). However, when I try to use the button to go to another program the switch is very long (about 40 seconds).
    Hi,

This is really interesting.
    Would you run a debug verson I will send you ?
    I would like to see if I can trace where this 40 seconds delay comes from...

Can we continue this via email (not to take over this thread) ?
    My email is contact@shsh.com

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefranke
    Grab Today 2.2. It does exactly what you are looking for. As for custom backgrounds it is very easy to make a background skin for Today.
    Thanks. I found Today to be a simple and effective solution to the 650's lack of week calendar, plus the other added's I had forgotten it possesses.

How do you make custom background skins?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    If you don't want additional software and something simple, I just have my calender to show the Agenda as default (with a background pic). It shows my appointments and tasks for today when I go to the calendar in a Today style.
    Yep.. same here the Agenda view works great, plus its factory installed too
    I would really like to have the Agenda view within the phone view though, that would rock. Anyway to configure that? It just shows the upcoming task, but not other details.

Sid Vajirkar
    Unlocked 650
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    great thread! I had Today 2.2 on all week and I just downloaded 2Day. I have 1 problem with each if I could get help. Today App, I wanted to map the button to calendar, it mapped it to address instead, and I cant get it to map to my calendar button for some reason. On 2Day it maps to the calendar button, but it dosent allow me to mulripress view meaning without the app the button changes the calendar view everytime I press it....press I get this days appts, press again for week, press again for month etc. 2Day only switches from the app to calendar and thats all. any fixes for either app?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast