1.    #1  
    Can anyone recommend compatible GPS navigation sofware to use with the treo 650. On my pocket PC I used desinator and it is a great applicatoin but they dont seem to make a palm version. What is everyone using for navigation? I have a bluetooth gps receiver so want something compatible with that which most/all should be.
    Do a forum search. There are extensive conversations on this. I use Tom Tom Navigator 2004 and love it to death. Other people use Mapopolis and seem to like it too.
    I'd suggest you go for Tom Tom.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    And I would agree on that - Tom Tom rules
    I'm very happy with Mapopolis. It generally gets very good reviews on the GPS forums (as does Tom Tom). I'd like to try Tom Tom, but they only recently announced a software-only bundle (previously you had to buy it with a GPS device and/or a Palm device), and it's still not shipping.

Things I really like about Mapopolis:

- Has both 2D and 3D views
    - Map management is very good (pulls maps from SD card
    automatically, can either display a single map or all
    contiguous maps)
    - Display options are good (fixed compass or rotate to match
    direction of movement, night/day/custom color sets,
    detail options, etc.)
    - Route generation and re-generation works very well
    - Power usage is very good, even with a Bluetooth GPS
    (much improved in the 2.x versions)
    - Address book integration (pick a geo point and add it to your
    address book, where you can add the other details, and/or
    put the lat/long for an existing address into the Custom1 field,
    and the address is highlighted on your loaded maps, and included
    in the route generation options).

Things I don't like about Mapopolis:

- Config screens are minimal-looking

I believe TomTom has some of the good features listed above, but I haven't been able to confirm which ones yet, because they also don't offer a trial download. You can try out Mapopolis with the trial on their website, with maps for any region you want to experiment with.
    In my experience, Tom Tom does everything you mention above minus the address book integration stuff. That's really nice. I haven't required multiple contiguous maps yet, so I am not sure how that would work, but it doesn't look very complicated.

I have heard from Mapopolis people that the only thing they don't like that much about it is how it compares to Tom Tom in the graphics department. Other than that both camps seem to be pretty happy with either one. I like the Tom Tom one because they definitely make up for the couple of shortcomings with a lot of clever touches. It's a good thing when you have two good products to choose from.
    Yes, the graphics in Mapopolis seem less flashy than in TomTom.

The contiguous maps feature is pretty handy. For example, Mapopolis provides US maps by county, by state and by region (multiple states together). If I'm planning a trip within a state or across state boundaries, I can either transfer to the device the full state maps, or just the counties I want (minimize mem usage), or the region map (easier, more mem usage). Regardless, Mapopolis will display (optionally) all contiguous maps to the initial one that I choose when I open the app.

I definitely agree, it's good to have a choice. There are others as well - check out www.gpspassion.com, they do reviews and surveys on just about all of them.

Another feature to consider is support for traffic data. I don't think Mapopolis has this option anymore (they tried something last year, but sales stunk), TomTom does still have a separate traffic app/add-on, I believe. This is only truly useful in European countries where traffic data has been standardized using the TMC protocol, but if you're travelling over there, it's pretty darn handy. Many rental car companies there offer GPS/TMC in-dash options, and having real-time traffic along with dynamic GPS routing is very nice indeed.
    I'm using Delorme's BlueLogger. It's the only solution, that I know of, that works extremely well with laptop based GPS solutions and PDA's.

I like to use the laptop for in the car, then take my 650 when I do hikes/geocaching. If you buy Topo5 you can actually transfer very detailed topographical maps to the 650.

The only downsides to Delorme's Handheld 2005 are: No recalculating directions if you go off of the predetermined route, no 3d mode (like TomTom's), and the fact that the map doesn't move with the gps arrow (you watch your arrow go to the edge of the screen which triggers a page refresh and centers the arrow.)

The coolest thing about Handheld 2005 is that you can design your own maps. I made a really small one for a cache near my house today, only took up 256k.

-No 3d view, but has high and low res map view
    -Map Management very good. It's quirky on how you export stuff to PDAs, but it does work well when you figure it out. Waypoints and map notes can be seen from all maps and I believe you can load multiple maps.
    -Display options are limited, but it does have a monitoring view, sky view, channel view, sun/moon view and high contrast setting.
    -no route regeneration
    -power usage good
    -has address book integration
    Last edited by BIGtrouble77; 01/01/2005 at 08:22 PM.
    TomTom has 3D view as well as 2D.
    They also have state maps, region maps and US maps.
    TomTom rocks!
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Things I really like about Mapopolis:
    - Route generation and re-generation works very well
    Really? I've always heard that Mapopolis is very slow to regenerate a route if you miss a turn. TomTom is lightning fast for me in that regard. The other reason I like TomTom better is that it doesn't have to copy the map to RAM -- it works just fine right off of the card. With memory at such a premium on the T650, I don't want to have to leave that much empty space on my handheld so mapopolis can copy the map over (or wait while it does so).

The only thing I see that Mapopolis has over TomTom is address book integration. TomTom support has told me they are planning to add this, although they wouldn't commit to any kind of date, just a "future release." They did confirm that it won't be part of the Treo 650 upgrade that's coming shortly.

-Brian
    Mapopolis 2.2 works fine reading maps directly off the SD card.

The only issue I had was having the entire state of Texas (~250 counties @ ~100Mb total) in the same directory. Route generation was extremely slow. Once I moved the six or seven counties I needed into their own directory, everything went smooth.

Re-Routing works very well, usually within about two tenths of a mile at highway speeds.

My only real complaint about Mapopolis is the lack of a route-to/avoid certain areas. If you don't want to follow the auto-generated route, you have to either just drive the way you know until it figures it out and re-routes you, or generate a route to a midpoint, then generate a new route when you get there to the final destination.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    My only real complaint about Mapopolis is the lack of a route-to/avoid certain areas. If you don't want to follow the auto-generated route, you have to either just drive the way you know until it figures it out and re-routes you, or generate a route to a midpoint, then generate a new route when you get there to the final destination.
    Good point - I've wished for better routing preferences myself. You can set a "Highway preference" level ("Favor", "Nuetral" or "Avoid"), but that's about it. The routes it generates are generally good, so I don't have a problem with this very often, just when I know part of the way and really need the route for the beginning or end.

Anyone who has TomTom that can comment on the routing preferences it offers?
    These are all features of Mapopolis as well.
    Nice to hear about this - I had looked at DeLorme briefly, but never tried it out.

So I think you're saying that they have both a desktop and a PDA application. That's nice. I've never had the need for a desktop app for GPS personally, since I use it principally for driving and walking directions.

Can you manage your maps in the desktop app in terms of what is loaded on your PDA? How else does the desktop app interact with the PDA app?
    Mapopolis is pretty quick regenerating routes for me. Not "lightning fast", but definitely fast enough for practical purposes (a few seconds, maybe 5 at its longest delay).

Mapopolis also reads maps from the SD card. Definitely faster when they're loaded onto the device directly, but not necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Nice to hear about this - I had looked at DeLorme briefly, but never tried it out.

So I think you're saying that they have both a desktop and a PDA application. That's nice. I've never had the need for a desktop app for GPS personally, since I use it principally for driving and walking directions.

Can you manage your maps in the desktop app in terms of what is loaded on your PDA? How else does the desktop app interact with the PDA app?
    Street Atlas 2005 has significantly more features than any PDA based GPS. It has things like auto-rerouting, opengl 3d mode, speech recognition, complex route generation and much more complex maps. If you have a laptop, i'd say go the delorme route. If you just have a PDA, it looks like TomTom may be better.

As far as map managing goes... I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet. The reason is that Street atlas 2005, Street Atlas Mobile, and Topo5 all export differently. Some want to sync, and other want to export to a directory. Getting maps onto the PDA has been very easy, but getting things like routes, map enhancements, waypoints and other map markers onto my treo have been a chore. I know it can be dones easily, I just haven't figured it out yet.

I do want to try TomTom, does anyone know if it will work with other GPS bluetooth hardware?
    thanks,
    -BT
    I wouldn't classify it as PDA vs Laptop, personally. For me the decision hinges on how casually I can use the tool. Tom Tom is designed well enough to use on a whim, on the road, with one hand, and it hasn't failed me yet. For a cross country trip, terrain surveying or offrading I would maybe go with something like DeLorme.

In any case I really recommend trying Tom Tom, I can't think of anything better for GPS navigation on a Smartphone.

Oh and Tom Tom does support other GPS devices.
    It would have been nice if TomTom had a downloadable demo. Mapopolis works fine for me, and their support has been outstanding, but it would have been nice to compare the alternatives. And Mapopolis is cheaper (software as well as GPS bundle).

Oh, and another thing I don't like about Mapopolis is the lack of ability to use the 600's speakerphone when a call comes in while you've got Mapopolis open. It immediately reverts to Mapopolis after you choose to accept the call, precluding you from using either the space bar or screen option to enable the cell phone. So you really have to use an earbud.

Supposedly the speakerphone works with the 650 though.
    I agree about the need for a downloadable TomTom demo. This is one of the reasons I didn't buy it in the first place - I downloaded Mapopolis and it worked fine, and I was able to order it right off the web afterwards. With TomTom, I'd have to shell out $200-300 for a GPS bundle with the software, then return it if I didn't like it.

I mentioned this somewhere before, but TomTom is planning to offer a software-only bundle, but it's not available yet. I have one on order and it's still "back-ordered", and the site is still showing "pre-order" as the shipping estimate on new orders. So for now you'll have to either buy a GPS device with TomTom as a bundle, or wait a few days/weeks, or buy something else like Mapopolis.