1.    #1  
    I recently purchased a 1GB SD Card for my 650. after shopping around a bit, I saw that some cards pitched that they were "20x" or "40x" or "60x" speeds. There are apparently newer generation SD cards that advertise themselves as multiple times faster than the 60x. I bought a 60x card b/c the price differential was negligible. I haven't found it to be much faster than the old 512MB card I have. Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the higher speed cards? As many of us are learning, for any serious use the 650 needs an SD card to run non-core peograms b/c the internal memory goes fast. I'd like the most efficient card possible, but I don't want to invest double or triple in a card that won't do what it promises.
    Unfortunately the speed you get is determined by the slowest device. In this case it's the 650, it's not able to take advantage of the fast cards.

Where you will notice the difference in speed is using a high speed card reader, when transferring files to and from your computer and card.

This has long been an issue in the higher end digital camera world, some cameras can handle the faster cards, and will allow you to take pictures faster, and some will not.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    Unfortunately the speed you get is determined by the slowest device. In this case it's the 650, it's not able to take advantage of the fast cards.

Where you will notice the difference in speed is using a high speed card reader, when transferring files to and from your computer and card.

This has long been an issue in the higher end digital camera world, some cameras can handle the faster cards, and will allow you to take pictures faster, and some will not.
    Thanks for the reply Sky. I guess it doesn't pay to invest in a higher speed card if I'm just using it for the 650
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    Thanks for the reply Sky. I guess it doesn't pay to invest in a higher speed card if I'm just using it for the 650
    Well, there is a slight difference. A faster card does make somewhat of a difference. You should download vfsmark, then run it with each card installed.

Click on the link to get vfsmark http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/vfsmark.shtml or http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...etails&lid=332.

You can see benchmarks at
    http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/card...detail=compact.
    For what it's worth, I got a normal, plain old Sandisk 1GB card (for $60 AR from CompUSA). It's a lot faster than my old Kingston 512. Launching apps from SD via Zlauncher is now quite fast. Maybe not wicked fast, but pretty darned good. Now, I don't know if the "fast" cards would be any faster, but I'm pretty happy with what I have (especially for $60!!)

-Brian
    I would disagree. I have a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB and it blazes. Synching MP3s or videos to it takes a few seconds. I can't say if its using the full speed, but it's blazing compared to the standard Sandisk I have.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I should clarify, I don't know if anyone can say exactly what speed the 650 is capable of, but it certainly is not as fast as the faster cards out there.

And anything to do with putting information on the card from your computer will be faster with the faster cards. If you plan on changing the mp3's on your card on a regular basis, then the faster card is worth it.

And for what it's worth, when the difference in price is small, I say go for the SPEED!
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Tell me if I am wrong, listen to me now but hear me later,
    but it is my understanding that the 32x and 40x are referring to SD WRITE speeds, not read speeds. And with the treo, at least for me, my biggest concern is the read speed in terms of opening programs throught Z launcher from the card. I thinks that all of the cards are similar in this regard.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I used to have a Kingston 512 and I upgrased a Sandisk Ultra II 512. HUGE difference in writing on the 650. Huge. Like 10x faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    I used to have a Kingston 512 and I upgrased a Sandisk Ultra II 512. HUGE difference in writing on the 650. Huge. Like 10x faster.
    Exactly, huge difference in writing speeds, but do you run Z launcher, and if you do have you seen any different in time to open prorams on the "faster" card compared to the "slower card".

Also, as an aside, other that pictures, what else on the T650 is write-speed dependant?
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Well in zlauncher, after you close a program, it will back it up, so write speed does matter somewhat. I just received my free sd card from palm one, it scored a 406 vfsmark, I notice a difference compared to my SanDisk 512 Ultra II which scored 556 vfsmark.
    Excellent point goldfinger
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    Shadowboxer- I don't really know if it reads significantly faster or not. I do daily backups to the card, and the difference there is night and day. I don't use Zlauncher yet thought it appears to be just a matter of time...
    Interesting, I wonder really what affects these speeds. I too got my palmone free card yesterday and it scored a 660 VFS score for me....empty card. My old Sandisk 256 scored a 567 I think it was. That card though is 90% full.

TS
    Here are some interesting card speed results just posted in a separate thread. Identical read speeds, sig diff in write speeds as we predicted:

LINK
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    My 1GB Ultra III sure kicks some but. An application that took over two minutes

Cardspeed says:

Finnished in 1.66 seconds

Wrt32Bit : 503bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 244994 bytes/sec
    Read8KB: 2621440 bytes/sec