Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    kirkeric,

Follow these instructions from shadowmite.com:

Rom Update Instructions

You must have a SD card reader/writer for your computer!

1) Insert your SD card into the card reader
    2) Change the name of your palm folder if present to "bak" or anything other than palm
    3) Copy the "palm" and "rom" folders inside the zip file onto the root directory of your card
    4) IMPORTANT!!! Plug your device into the charger first. Hot sync if you haven't already. Remember, at the end of this, you'll have to hard reset your device, so you will lose everything on it.
    5) When you put the card in the SD slot, it should default to the "Card" applications menu.
    6) Tap the ROMUpdater app. It will take you to a screen with a lot of text.
    7) Type "rev cvt2" (no quotes). Hit the return key.
    8) Type "ace" (no quotes). Hit the return key.
    9) After the flash is complete, it will say, "PLEASE HARD RESET YOUR DEVICE". Here's how you do it:
    Remove the battery cover and use the stylus to do a pin reset, located on the left side of the battery.
    Quickly look at the LCD. You will see a bar moving from left to right. Before it reaches about midpoint on the bottom of the screen, press and hold down the RED phone button until you see the Palm logo.
    When you see the Palm logo (the moving bar is gone), release the RED phone button. You will be prompted to press the up button to erase all of your data. Please do so.

10) Follow the steps to recalibrate your touch screen.
    11) Re-sync your data and turn on your radio by pressing and holding the red phone button.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    P1 doesn't have to buy anyone. They are following a simular tack as a lot of developers these days. Release a working product after eliminating just enough bugs to avoid major suites, and then let the enthusiats beta test for free.

Better yet, not only are we beta testing, but folks such as shadowmite are continuing to work on the development without pay. It reminds me of a certain penguin's philosophy.

All-in-all, I'm hopful that this will all end in some good solid official updates from P1 soon.
    I sent back 5 treo (old story) because of sound. For a different reason I called a sprint affiliate store and was directed to the LOCAL sprint business office (which I didn't know existed). They've been selling treo 650's faster than they can get them in and there is NO problem with the audio (I checked with a department that is using them). I'm going to try again (get one locally), maybe the sixth one will be lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb
    It is so simple even I can do it.

I used my free 128MB SD card for this - since it was a new card I had to rename nothing. I loaded the two folders on the SD card and stuck it in the phone. Tapped the icon and away I went. Typed in the two commands and in about two minutes I had my updated phone. Swapped SD cards and restored my backup........

Deleted the files on the SD card - copied the original ROM folders and did another ROM update - just to make sure that I could go back if needed. Then I did it all over again to keep the #3 update.

Go Shadowmite.......

I think the trick is to use a dedicated SD card for this purpose - P1 was so nice as to send us one........
    Good info and appreciate the step by step instructions as well. So you are just using the SD card as an installer sort of? Once complete, what is the impact on sound quality and are there any side effects?

Thanks,

Eric
  5. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    My instructions were actually completed by PDA Jedi. I used ROM #3 and noticed an immediate improvement in voice quality (on the other end) and, of course, BT implementation.

I haven't found a downside........
    Cheers

Charles
    So kirkeric,

Have you successfully applied your chosen patch, and if so do you see a sound quality difference?

Jedi
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    This rom/patch whatever update is still complicated.... I need a card reader for the pc to do this??
    Maybe one day Shadowmite or P1 will come with some kind of update/patch that doesn't require me to be a computer tech. do install it lol.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    With my luck, I'll screw up the phone and then good luck with Spring trying to replace it after a third party rom has been installed.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00
    This rom/patch whatever update is still complicated.... I need a card reader for the pc to do this??
    Maybe one day Shadowmite or P1 will come with some kind of update/patch that doesn't require me to be a computer tech. do install it lol.
    My friend, as you will soon find out, it's not the rom/patch whatever update that's complicated. It's the Treo 650 that's complicated.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12