1.    #1  
    I was playing with the Aportis doc reader and am ready to remove it now.
    Problem is when you delete a large program like this The Visor says “delete the AportisDoc application and all data?” I don’t want to remove the docs as I use other doc reader program to still read them. So is it okay to remove the program? Will it purge all the docs files on my Visor along with it? I really don’t want to reinstall all of them. I have a bunch on there. There has to be a way to delete JUST the application. Or is this message just a generic one and this not mean the doc files but support files if they exist.

Does this apply to other types of programs like database programs as well? If you delete a program does it by default remove anything it "views" along with it?

If so there has to be a better way then as the Visor has many file types that a lot of different program use.

TIA!

[This message has been edited by Babylon5 (edited 02-03-2000).]
    Ahh.. now I know why I don't have any documents left on my Visor. Thanks for helping me figure it out

There's an old post now that I think about it that discussed this.. you might want to do a search and look for almost the same topic
    Actually, there's a really nice free program called Z'Catalog (found on palmgear.com) that will do this easily for you. It will even let you beam databases and all that other great stuff (as well as deleting, and show the properties). Just be careful with program...

Hope this helps!

--Jonathan Lin
  4. xjx
    My understanding is, deleting a program will delete all the database with the same creator ID as the program. Here are some of the creator IDs:

doc file: "REAd"
    isilo: "ToGo"
    isilo file: "ToGo"
    isilo free: "SilF"
    MobiBook: "MOBI"
    CSpotRun: "CSBR"
    AportisDoc: ?

So before you delete the doc reader, you can check its creator ID with Z'Catalog or AppView. If it's not "REAd", I think it's pretty safe to delete the reader without removing those doc files. I guess "REAd" is the creator ID of the original doc reader.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I have spent some time this past week installing, trying, and deleting various applications and I have been faced with the same grey area as to exactly what is being removed (or not removed!) from my Visor. I have read the issues about what goes when the 'master program' is deleted, but I have seen little about how to delete, say, a database without deleting the 'master program'.
    How does one delete a PDB, for instance? Where are data files viewed? Is there a directory-like feature that I'm missing? The only Delete function I've found is at the Main / Menu / Delete place, which does not appear to display any file names.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Download, install, and check out DB Explorer. It will let you remove an ap while leaving databases, docs and prefs intact, or remove a database leaving the ap intact. Also lets you set attributes like "read-only" and "backup bit". Good file utility program.

HTH.

j.

------------------

"Vaya con Visor!"

-john
    Originally posted by KingArthur:
    but I have seen little about how to delete, say, a database without deleting the 'master program'.
    How does one delete a PDB, for instance? Where are data files viewed? Is there a directory-like feature that I'm missing?
    Well, the official answer is that deleting PDB files is the responsibility of the PRC program that uses them. So if you are viewing documents with TealDoc, and you want to get rid of one of them, you use TealDoc's delete document function to delete the PDB file.

8.    #8  
    _________________QUOTE______________________
    Actually, there's a really nice free program called Z'Catalog (found on palmgear.com) that will do this easily for you. It will even let you beam databases and all that other great stuff (as well as deleting, and show the properties). Just be careful with program...
    Hope this helps!

--Jonathan Lin

Thanks Jonathan, this worked great!

That is exactly what I wanted to do. The problem is when you install various programs like doc readers to test drive but then don't want them, how to delete just the tested app and not the docs in this case. Z'catalog worked fine.

Thanks for all the help all