1.    #1  
    Have read a few comments on here about the infra-red capabilities of the Visor, and the problems with the enhancedIR update, I was starting to feel it would be useless for IR. But...

I've installed two of the files from the update - Serial/IR and SerIrComm Library. This gives me the Serial/IR preferences panel, from which I can choose to use the IR port.

Using this, I've successfully logged into a remote computer system using a Nokia 8210 phone, which has a built in data card.

I've not, however, managed to get the network prefs panel to connect; it reports a modem command error, though I can see from the phone's display that it's attempting to talk with it. I'll fiddle some more, but if you have a phone with proper IR (ie not a Nokia 6150) you can certainly make data calls using the two components of the enhanced IR update that I loaded.

When I have more time, I'll see if I can get it to do SMS and things like that with the HandPhone software.
    Try the program IRlink ver. 1.5, this version is specifically for the Visor, it makes your Visor like a souped up remote control. It can IR sync with a computer making the USB cable obsolete, it can even sync with the IR capable cellphones. Just found out about it last week. It is cool. I think the other softwares for the GSM phones will work fine.
    Originally posted by nwhitfield:
    Have read a few comments on here about the infra-red capabilities of the Visor, and the problems with the enhancedIR update, I was starting to feel it would be useless for IR. But...

I've installed two of the files from the update - Serial/IR and SerIrComm Library. This gives me the Serial/IR preferences panel, from which I can choose to use the IR port.

Using this, I've successfully logged into a remote computer system using a Nokia 8210 phone, which has a built in data card.

I've not, however, managed to get the network prefs panel to connect; it reports a modem command error, though I can see from the phone's display that it's attempting to talk with it. I'll fiddle some more, but if you have a phone with proper IR (ie not a Nokia 6150) you can certainly make data calls using the two components of the enhanced IR update that I loaded.

When I have more time, I'll see if I can get it to do SMS and things like that with the HandPhone software.