1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 600, and the only things I really like to do are surf, email and talk on the phone. Could you guys give me a good reason to upgrade to the 650? The only reasons I can think of would be that it surfs faster or the sound is much better. I am not a power user who adds a lot of stuff, and I am happy enough without Bluetooth although it would be nice to sync that way. However, I need a good reason to spend the $450 or so to upgrade.

Thanks!
    well the only real advantage I see for you would be the HUGE screen difference when looking at websites/images...
    no reason to up.... stick with the 600.. upgrade to 650 when 700 is released.

done deal.
    not loosing your data when your batter does the famed turbo drain.
    If you ask how much, you can't afford it.

If you ask why, you don't need it.

ChickenHawk
    Err...if you're still in contract...don't consider it. If you're outside of it, then sell the 600 on eBay, and get the 650.
    I guess you asked for reasons though. So...here we go:

1) screen
    2) bluteooth -->syncing, dun, gps, reverse tethering (almost as good as wifi), etc.
    3) better camera (actually usable, plus a mirror for self-portraits, and camcorder functionality)
    4) faster processor
    5) keyboard is better in my opinion (backlight and larger, flatter keys)
    6) new layout of keys (i.e. - home & menu keys, as well as red phone button which saves you the trouble of explaining to friends how you hang it up)
    7) sd card doesn't protrude like in the 600.
    8) removeable battery
    9) Non-Volatile File System. Never losing data is a big plus for me...happened to me twice with the 300.
    10) OS 5.4, which includes a few changes that are really worth it in my opinion
    11) Blazer, much faster browsing
    12) the bundled software (docs to go, versamail, etc. - some are good, others just suck)
    13) the side button...just one more hard button that can be tailored for individual applications
    14) wifi is now capable of working on the 650, although a lil' rough, and not the 600
    15) if you upgrade later, you'll have to wait longer for your next smartphone. if you upgrade today, you only have to wait 2 years, but if you upgrade in 4 months, then you have 2 years with the 650 as new phones with ev-do, built-in gps, wi-fi, etc. make your mouth water. the 650 is the best for now, so you might as well get it 'cause the price isn't going down and nothing that's being released within the next year can compete with it.
    16) did i mention the screen & bluetooth??

DID I MISS ANYTHING??

Come on...there are plenty of reasons that are worth the $450 flat out in my opinion, but if you're capable of selling your 600 it's not even close to as bad as you think. The ONLY reason you shouldn't upgrade is if you need a MISSION CRITICAL phone, in which case you should stick with the 600. But, if you look at the polls that were on here before, only a small percentage of people had memory or sound quality problems...both which will receive REAL patches/fixes in the near future. As soon as the first upgrade to this phone is available, most people that need to keep their 600s for stability reasons will have absolutely no reason not to upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco
    I have a Treo 600, and the only things I really like to do are surf, email and talk on the phone. Could you guys give me a good reason to upgrade to the 650? The only reasons I can think of would be that it surfs faster or the sound is much better. I am not a power user who adds a lot of stuff, and I am happy enough without Bluetooth although it would be nice to sync that way. However, I need a good reason to spend the $450 or so to upgrade.

Thanks!

You definitely should upgrade - to this...

No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18

Yeah, if you want to be caught talking through a graphing calculator

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

However, if you're the kind of guy that has to have the latest and greatest then by all means, fork over the dough. For me the biggest difference is the awesome screen, the BT, and the Exchange with Versamail.

Do what works for you though.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com

HEY BUDDY!!! What's your problem?? Did you not understand the posters wants?? Lemme hit the replay button.

Thanks!
    SURF, EMAIL, PHONE

He asked for something to surf that thing we like to call the interweb. But Sprint'd charge him an EXTRA $15 to use that terrible ppc. If you're tryin' to rip people off so you can feel better about your regret for buying this piece of junk, err...stop it. If using that brick is worth an extra $180 a year to you, then go ahead and get it, 'cause I'm sticking to my smaller PHONE with higher resolution screen. 0/1

He asked for something that would allow him to write his electronic mail. However, with that ppc, you will constantly pull out the keyboard which some people have reported coming a tad loose already. Along with the stowaway keyboard is a lack of 5-way support, so you'll have to pull out the stylus out as well. Hmm...0/2, better succeed in the third area he requested.

Finally, his third request was to talk on his phone. Like I said above, you get a brick if you want, I'm going to buy the PHONE that people lust over, humming OOHs and AAHs in harmony as they gaze upon it's elegant design. The 6600 hit 0/3 of that man's request, and 99% of phone users' requests. Now go cry that you have an inferior phone. I think Handspring did a better job at creating a smartphone, than Apple did at creating an mp3 player. (mmmaybe that's a little over the edge)

The only phone that can compete with the 650 is the 600, but that's last years news. 2005 is all about the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    HEY BUDDY!!! What's your problem?? Did you not understand the posters wants?? Lemme hit the replay button.

SURF, EMAIL, PHONE

He asked for something
    Note:
    He may be a she.......
    Francisco may be a Francisca, food for thought....
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    The only phone that can compete with the 650 is the 600, but that's last years news. 2005 is all about the 650.

If PalmOne doesn't have at least ONE other Treo model to release in 2005 then they're probably screwed.

Depending on the underwhelming 16MB (available internal) Treo650 to sustain them another year gives yet another year for smaller smartphones to come out by much more capitalized companies than PalmOne. PalmOne had a huge lead on others when they got the Treo from Handspring, and then completely dropped the ball by shorting out the internal memory so that their greatest supporters could not upgrade!! It's pretty dismal planning when you build an "upgraded" device that highly motivated people can't upgrade to!

Let's hope that late 2004 is all about the Treo 650, and early 2005 is about a new Treo that has at least 50-60MB usable internal memory.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    They're guaranteed to come out with another model in late 2005, the Treo 700 or 900. But they will not have a 650 with just more memory, like a 651 or something. That would be the dumbest thing ever. They will release a firmware upgrade that harnesses the full 23MB, finally putting the memory on par with the 600. The reason I say 2005 is the year for the 650 is because this is when the bugs will be worked out and the "normal joe" could use it reliably with complete list of customized accessories readiliy available, since the 700/900 will have its share of beta bugs, lack of accessories, and lack of functioning programs too. The reason the next Treo WON'T be as appealing as the 650 is right now, is because the next one won't have BOTH Cobalt AND EV-DO (...or EV-DV). Until a Treo builds upon what currently exists and both of the latter two mentioned features, no phone will look as appealing.

Memory isn't THAT big of a deal. Wi-fi might work with more time and an add on card, but until Cobalt's here, Wi-fi's useless. EV-DO would also be useless for at least another year, probably two (maybe it's coming quicker than I think, but I doubt it...esp. for a reasonable price). 650 FOR LIFE...UNTIL BOTH COBALT AND EV-DO COME ALONG. Hopefully that's what we get by late 2006.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts

Thanks!
    Well for one idiots still pay $ 300 for Treo 600's on ebay

The 650:

Awesome screen. At 320 x 320 it is much better than 240 x 320 screens. You can use it for sales presentations, pictures of family, movies, for real.

Workable camera. It really works with very little light.

Much better keyboard.

Much faster web browsing.

Much better keyboard layout.
    I tried the 600 at Circuit city and thought it really sucked. The screen was pathetic and the CPU was waaay underpowered.

I was nervous about switching over to the 650, especially after using a 400mhz ppc for quite a while. End result... the 650 kicks all ***. Everything so far works really well, although i'm an ultra power user so it doesn't take me long to figure out the quirks.

To answer the original poster's question, from my perspective the 600 is an obsolete device and completely useless for anything other than phone calls and contact manage ment.

If you want to take a step up and use bluetooth GPSs, bluetooth headsets, more robust web browsing with vision, games, emulators, etc, then the 650 is a no brainer.

If not, then stick with what you got. As far as memory goes, it's not an issue for me. First thing I did was get rid of versamail and install snapper mail to my SD card. now my syncs go 10x faster and it freed up like 4 megs.
  18.    #18  
    I do like to have the latest if it makes a difference. The faster surfing would be wonderful, but I am worried about the sound. I really like the Treo 600 sound. I can actually hear people talking to me. If the 650 does not have that quality, I am not sure I want to upgrade because I can't stand a phone that has issues with sound. What do the rest of you think about the quality of the sound. Thanks for all the responses!!!