Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everyone -

After a few weeks of trial and error I found a ZLauncher theme / Back Image combinationi that has pretty much the same look and feel as the original 650 display. It takes a little "maneuvering" but it is well with in the grasp of non-expert users. I'm REALLY happy with it. This is what I did (and by the way - it's all freeware (except for ZLauncher, of course):

1. Go to PalmSpirit and download the ZL_Kristalin v. 5 Theme (I think it is the second one on the page). The site is in french, but it is an easy thing to follow the links to the "Telechargements" (download). This will download a zip file with the theme. Here is the link:

http://www.palmspirit.com/phpmalogit...at.php3?cat=30

2. Install the ZLT_Kristalin_OS5 Theme onto your handheld. But don't select it yet.

3. Now create a white background image file that you will use with the ZLT_Kristalin_OS5 theme. This is how I did it:

3a. Go to the Kristalin zip file you downloaded. In the zip file you will see another folder called "Kristalin Folder". Click on that. Inside you will see some files including some JPEG files.

3b. Select KDEO.jpg. Double click on it. It should open the file on your computer in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (I have windows XP home). Type <ctrl> + "E" or click on the edit selection button on the bottom bar. It will open the image in MS Paint and you can edit it.

3c. In MS Paint Click on the graphic on the left that is a little rectangle with broken line border. Then with the cursor, click on the upper left corner of the image and hold the left mouse key down. Draw the cursor to the bottom right of the image. You should see the entire image outlined as you have selected the entire image with the cursor. Press delete. You will now see a white box in place of the entire image. Select File/Save As and name the file. BUT SAVE IT AS A FILE TYPE => Monochrome bitmap (*.bmp). This is VERY important!

4. Move the your "backround".bmp file to your SD Card. in the ZLauncher/Backimage subdirectory. Now, you need to convert the bmp file into a backround image. to do this, in file manager view mode, but your stylus on the file and drag it to the "shortcut create/backrgound image" icon in the lower left side of the screen (see the Zlauncher manual under "Background image creation" for help. It may be a little confusing but once you get it its easy! If you do this right the bmp file will be converted to a bacground image.

5. Go to Zlauncher theme manager. Go to the Back Image area. Select your newly created white background. Then go to the theme manager and select the ZLT_Kristalin_OS5 theme. You will now have blue top, bottom and side bars of ZLauncher with a white background. It looks very close to the original 650 display. ONe more thing....

6. Icon adjustment. Open the drop down menu and select "Tab" Then select "Tab Properties". Uncheck the option that says "Name Shadow". Change "Height" from 31 to 41 (to match the width setting). Click OK.

7. Your Display will look GREAT! Good luck!

Stormer
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 02/10/2005 at 12:23 AM. Reason: fix link
    Link doesnt work
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3.    #3  
    Try this one

www.palmspirit.com/phpmalogitheque_new/description.php3?id=510&cat=30[/url]
    Get rid of the [/url] at the end. For some reason it is messing up the link when posting !!!!
    Post a screenshot. I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by "background that looks like the original 650 configuration" Wouldn't it just be easier (and less memory usage as well as a faster response time) to just select white as the tab back color?

I would like to see your setup. I have modded the Kristalin theme (using HPSkin Studio) for ZLauncher on my 650 and like the look very much.

Looking forward to checking out what yours looks like. Post a few screenshots so we can all see what you have come up with...
    I've installed the ZLauncher trial on my 650, including installing jpeg.prc and moving it onto the SD card in the PALM/Programs/Zlauncher/BackImage subdirectory. But I can't get Zlauncher to "see" any images (to use as a background).

Can anyone enlighten me here? I was thinking maybe you have to get the registered version of ZLauncher going before this feature will work?

Thanks
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
  8.    #8  
    Here's what my display looks like.

Why I didn't chose the "white" background option: When I installed the Kristalin theme and selected white background - it didn't work. I don't know why...All I got was the theme and a black background. I think it might have something to do with the theme...the "correct" background is an off-blue that I think needs to be installed separately.

Tell me what you think of the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stormer; 12/30/2004 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormer
    Here's what my display looks like.

Why I didn't chose the "white" background option: When I installed the Kristalin theme and selected white background - it didn't work. I don't know why...All I got was the theme and a black background. I think it might have something to do with the theme...the "correct" background is an off-blue that I think needs to be installed separately.

Tell me what you think of the pic.
    Well, too bad you couldn't get ZLauncher to use a white background for your tabs. You are wasting precious Treo650 memory using a bmp background for each of your tab/tabs. In addition, I have noted that ZLauncher (and in fact the entire Treo 650) becomes less responsive using a background bmp. Especially considering the fact that you are loading a background just to have white...

Are you sure you selected the correct item to color? To display a white tab background in ZLauncher, go to the menu Tab/Tab Properties/Color/Back and hit the Back button which will bring up a color picker. Select the color you want, hit ok, then you could also select CHGs>All to do all of your tabs in white. The default color is that sort of peachish color.

I have never seen a bug in this part of ZL and I have been messing around since version 1.0. Of course you will have to deselect your white bmp background first for this to show.

My advice is to try it again, if all you want is a white background you are going through major hoops to get there.

I have attached a screenshot of my modified Kristalin Theme using a light grey back color and no shadow on the icon text. I have been slowly but surely making Kristalin look exactly the way I want it too...

Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stormer - great post, I disliked the zlauncher colors and will try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ouzome
    Stormer - great post, I disliked the zlauncher colors and will try it out.
    You can do the exact same thing as Stormer has done without all the editing of a bmp and loading of a background image. Just select the back tab color to be white....it is simple as that.

ZZTechs for some reason has set the back tab color to that horrible peach. It is just a matter of selecting white and pressing ok, presto! White background...

The advantages to selecting white as your tab background instead of editing a bmp to be white, installing it in memory and loading it as a background are that you will have saved time, used less memory and you will have a faster Treo.

Using a background image significantly slows down the device as it has to load a 320x320 bitmap before it loads all the other system icons and display.

This is especially uneccessary in this instance because all you have to do is select white as your color for your background and you achieve the same look only better...

All this is of course in the manual, cheers.
    Hey Matty, great tips on zlauncher.

Would you be willing to share your theme?

Thanks
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Hey Matty, great tips on zlauncher.

Would you be willing to share your theme?

Thanks
    I don't mind sharing the theme, but it is by no means mine. I just edited the great Kristalin Theme by BandiT to make it look the way I want. I wouldn't want to step on any toes over at PalmSpirit by distributing a modified theme.

PM me your address and I will send it to you as long as you don't up it anywhere for distro I don't think it will matter much. I "borrowed" a lot from a bunch of other themes to make it look the way I wanted it to...

Be warned, I don't use icons for my tabs, so they are stripped out to save memory...
    pm sent. Thanks
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Can one of you fine folks out there please post some intructions on how to modify or create from scratch a Zlauncher theme? I have "Zlauncher Theme Maker and Zl Skin Constructor but their instructions leave a lot to be desired. I know RTFM but the more I read the more I get confused. If someone could just describe how they did it I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Last edited by SloMo; 01/05/2005 at 11:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Never mind......I figured out ZL Skin Constructor after about 1 hr. worth of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Well, too bad you couldn't get ZLauncher to use a white background for your tabs. You are wasting precious Treo650 memory using a bmp background for each of your tab/tabs. In addition, I have noted that ZLauncher (and in fact the entire Treo 650) becomes less responsive using a background bmp. Especially considering the fact that you are loading a background just to have white...

Are you sure you selected the correct item to color? To display a white tab background in ZLauncher, go to the menu Tab/Tab Properties/Color/Back and hit the Back button which will bring up a color picker. Select the color you want, hit ok, then you could also select CHGs>All to do all of your tabs in white. The default color is that sort of peachish color.

I have never seen a bug in this part of ZL and I have been messing around since version 1.0. Of course you will have to deselect your white bmp background first for this to show.

My advice is to try it again, if all you want is a white background you are going through major hoops to get there.

I have attached a screenshot of my modified Kristalin Theme using a light grey back color and no shadow on the icon text. I have been slowly but surely making Kristalin look exactly the way I want it too...

Good Luck

How did you adjust the size of your icons to be that small?
    Quote Originally Posted by DVD Guy
    How did you adjust the size of your icons to be that small?
    Easy stuff. ZL gives you a lot of control over icon display and sizing. Here is one simple way to get small icons, evenly spaced. Bear in mind, there are others.

Go to Popup Menu/Tab/Tab Properties, then Icon Tab. Select View (drop-down menu) to icon. Put a 5 in the [Col:] spot and a 6 in the [Row:]. Spacing should be to auto for both. Lastly, untick the Zoom Icon box.

Click the [CHGs>ALL] button to have all your tabs look like this or just ok for the one tab you are on....

Thats it, you're done.

let me know if you have any futher questions. ZL is not as difficult as it seems. (If it were only as easy to use and setup as LX was....)

Good Luck
    Noticed that your signal strength bar is multicolored as compared to the original Kristalin theme. Did you modify this with HP Skin Studio or is there a setting in ZL that changes the bars on the signal strength? Beautiful theme!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrudwin
    Noticed that your signal strength bar is multicolored as compared to the original Kristalin theme. Did you modify this with HP Skin Studio or is there a setting in ZL that changes the bars on the signal strength? Beautiful theme!
    I modified here and there in the whole theme. For the signal strength, I took a different antenna icon and colored the bars. The first two are red, second two orange, next two yellow and the last three are green. There are nine total.

I am pleased, thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast