Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Heres the situation...

I bought a brand new, sealed in box, Treo 650 off of eBay and I just got it today. As soon as I powered up the device I noticed it had a deal red pixel right in the middle of the screen.

What is the best way for me to exchange this phone? Should I go to a Sprint store or call PalmOne?

Will they give me a new one, or refurb?

Thanks

Keefe
    What box is it in? sprint or palm1...
  3.    #3  
    Sprint Box
    take it to a sprint store and say they sent it to you from telesales.
    You don't have to lie about it. The phone is under a 1 year warranty from Sprint no matter where you bought it. Just take it in and they will fix you up. Even if you bought your phone directly from Palm One, you would have to take it to Sprint.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    As long as it was sealed in box (As the OP stated) this is true, Sprint will honor the warrantly, no matter where you bought it. FYI, if a phone is purchased on ebay that was previously activated on another account, the warranty will not trasnfer. All spring warranties are non-transferrable. So always be careful if you're buying a used phone or device.
    Just want to chime in and agree with the posters above. I bought my 600 NIB on eBay and never had any problems changing it out the 2 times I had to do so.

I am concerned about what was said above about warranties not being transferrable. I JUST sold my 600 on eBay and, because I had been told by Sprint customer service this, I told my buyer that the warranty was still in effect through the end of the one year period. I was told that they go by the serial number or ESN or whatever.
    My understanding is that the warranty will not transfer, but it's possible that the policy may have changed. They do go by ESN, but they normally will compare the ESN to the account holder to see if it has been on two separate accounts. I think it will most likely depend heavily on how helpful the rep at the store feels like being on any given day. But you could probably confirm this by giving Sprint CSR a call.
    Usually when you go to a Sprint store to exchange they will just look at when the ESN was activated under your name and it doesn't get past there. It acutally looks as if you purchased the phone new and the 12 month warranty starts at that point. If by chance they go into the ESN history and see that there was a previous owner, then you're screwed. 90% of the time though these people will be lazy and not check the ESN history.
    I will tell you from experience, that I think it MATTERS which store you take it to.

My experience was with the sale of a Samsung I500 on Ebay. I used the phone for 2 months and then sold it on ebay. A month later the buyer was contacting me to say that the phone had died and that his local store would not replace it because he wasn't the original owner. Ultimately, the maniac left bad feedback for me on ebay accusing me of selling him a bad phone...NOT TRUE!

Anyway, at the time this transaction took place, the I500 had only been on the market for 3 months so the age of the phone WAS NOT in dispute. The phone had a 1 year manufacturer warranty that Sprint was the sole administrator of. I made several calls trying to help the Buyer out and everybody I talked to at Sprint customer service and Samsung agreed that the phone should be covered, however, the store that this guy was dealing with was playing hardball. They even accessed MY account,( am assuming thru the phones ESN) as the previous owner, to confirm that the phone had only been operational for 3 months. Still, didn't matter!

Finally, after several weeks, the Buyer got the phone replaced, but it was NO easy matter.

I successfully swapped out a less than 14 day old Treo 650 at my local store after purchasing it thru Vienna Channels. I was NOT asked where I purchased the phone, because as stated in another post....IT DOESN'T MATTER! Sprint is the sole administrator for these warranties and they are required to give you a new phone for a phone less than 14 days old (per the Sprint policy) or replace an older phone with a refurb(manufacterer warranty).

K
    Well if you bought it from palm1 they will warrenty it but send it back to palm1 if you bought it from sprint they usually give you a new one at the store. Thats what i have found out.

Other people might have different experiences.
  12.    #12  
    If they ask where I bought it, what should I say?

If I bought it from telesales, wouldn't that be noted on my account?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    They come in different boxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by keefe007
    If they ask where I bought it, what should I say?

If I bought it from telesales, wouldn't that be noted on my account?
    If they ask then tell them, but the information is irrelavant and a manager will know that, so if you talk to a service rep who seems to be hedging, do your best to persuade them, but if all else fails INVOLVE A MANAGER or even get telesales on the line.

K
  15.    #15  
    Okay, so I took my phone to the Sprint store and they wouldn't exchange it. The guy said that I could not do a 14 day return or exchange it because I didn't have a receipt to prove that I bought it from a Sprint store. He said he could not do a warranty exchange because they didn't have any refurb Sprint Treo 650's yet.

What should I do? HELP!
    The next question I would ask the store manager is: If I bought a Treo 650 from your store and it required warranty service (let's assume after 14 days), and you didn't have a refurb 650, what would you do? I think the reasonable thing to do is for them to look at their twice-daily list of what phones they can order for a few days, to see if a refurb T650 shows up. If so, the manager orders that for you. After some reasonable (but definitely not more than 1 weeks) time, if a reburb T650 has not become available, the store manager honors your warranty with a new T650. I don't see how they can not honor their warranty on your phone. (When I originally purchased my Treo 300, it was from Radio Shack, but I've always went to the Sprint store for warranty replacements.)

Yep, I guess the "14 day return" does not apply since they don't have to accept a "return" of something you didn't buy from them. But they do have to honor your warranty.

The last piece of advice I can give is to try another store (that "repairs" phones). Hopefully there is another store reasonably close to where you live or work. The store managers have a lot of discretion. A good "company [wo]man" store manager will do their best to give you a refurb within a reasonable amount of time. A store manager who needlessly gives away "new" product without a good justification will eventually be fired. As long as the manager can show the company that [s]he did their best to not give away a new product (while also not p*ssing off the customer) they will be safe. I'm sure you can come to a resonable resolution of this problem!

good luck -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefe007
    Okay, so I took my phone to the Sprint store and they wouldn't exchange it. The guy said that I could not do a 14 day return or exchange it because I didn't have a receipt to prove that I bought it from a Sprint store. He said he could not do a warranty exchange because they didn't have any refurb Sprint Treo 650's yet.

What should I do? HELP!
    They cant say that. it goes 14 days after activation. plus they have a holiday return policy that last till the 15th of jan. So they have to return it. if they say you bought it before they started. say its not possible the phone came out after the extended return policy
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy
    The next question I would ask the store manager is: If I bought a Treo 650 from your store and it required warranty service (let's assume after 14 days), and you didn't have a refurb 650, what would you do? I think the reasonable thing to do is for them to look at their twice-daily list of what phones they can order for a few days, to see if a refurb T650 shows up. If so, the manager orders that for you. After some reasonable (but definitely not more than 1 weeks) time, if a reburb T650 has not become available, the store manager honors your warranty with a new T650. I don't see how they can not honor their warranty on your phone. (When I originally purchased my Treo 300, it was from Radio Shack, but I've always went to the Sprint store for warranty replacements.)

Yep, I guess the "14 day return" does not apply since they don't have to accept a "return" of something you didn't buy from them. But they do have to honor your warranty.

The last piece of advice I can give is to try another store (that "repairs" phones). Hopefully there is another store reasonably close to where you live or work. The store managers have a lot of discretion. A good "company [wo]man" store manager will do their best to give you a refurb within a reasonable amount of time. A store manager who needlessly gives away "new" product without a good justification will eventually be fired. As long as the manager can show the company that [s]he did their best to not give away a new product (while also not p*ssing off the customer) they will be safe. I'm sure you can come to a resonable resolution of this problem!

good luck -- Bob
    The thing is, I really dont want a refurb phone. I just bought this thing and it was defective out of the box. I haven't even been able to put it on my account. I think when someone spends $600 on a phone, the least they can do is replace a defective one.

Will PalmOne send me a new one if Sprint continues to f**k me over?
    Hmm, I'm confused here. I was planning in the future to sell my Sprint Treo 650. If I sell it and include the original receipt, Sprint won't honor the warranty?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    It sounds like you're going to the same store I did (Palo Alto). The manager was a comlete pain in the **** with me.

I had called *2 and had them note on my account to swap out the defective phone for a new one. The next morning I went into the store. It took me raising my voice and asking the manager loud enough for everyone in the store to hear, "Why is it that every time I come into this store I get treated like crap?" After that, he disappeared into the back of the store for 20 minutes and returned with a customer returned phone that he gave me. I hate using this tactic, but evidently, it's the only way to get the manager to move.

Best of luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast