Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I know all about Chatter ("push" IMAP mail client) but I prefer the UI of SnapperMail. And as we all know, setting your mail client to check mail every 5 minutes or so can be a drain on the battery.

Instead I check for mail manually every so often... and we all know that gets to be a drag after awhile.

So anyway, here's a little tip I'm enjoying and I thought I'd share. Some of you might already know about this, but it's news to me and I know some of you will appreciate it. Here goes:

Set up your desktop email client to redirect (or forward) all of your email as it arrives to your SMS address. That is <yourcellnumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com>

Of course this scheme will only work if you have your desktop set to check mail automatically and quickly, like every 1-2 minutes. These SMS messages that your desktop sends will of course arrive immediately to the Treo. (If you'd like to keep your "Sent Items" folder on your desktop clean of these redirects, you can also create a rule to delete them, after they're sent.)

"Oh, great idea, Fofer," I can hear you saying. "SMS Messages are cut off after 150 characters.... and besides, the SMS app on the Treo doesn't respect the original sender's email address and instead says it was sent from myself anyway!"

But that's where I'll cut you off and continue with my tip.

Install TreoHelper:
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/

There are lots of features here intended for previous versions of the Treo that no longer apply to the 650. But there is one cool feature that comes in handy: SMS activations!

TreoHelper can be set so that whenever an SMS message comes in, filtered on whatever text you specify, it can automatically launch SnapperMail (or VersaMail) and initiate a mail check. At that point TreoHelper can delete the SMS message that started the action in the first place.

This opens up some cool possibilities of course. If you have all of these SMS messages sent to you from a consistent address (perhaps one you set up specifically for this purpose) it will be very easy for TreoHelper to be able to "filter" on what SMS to use as a trigger.

I am still playing with this setup but I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. In a sense it sort of offers the convenience of "push" email with your client of choice. Now I don't need to waste time manually checking for mail all the time... all the newest mail will be there all the time. The best of all worlds, so to speak.

Feel free to comment on this ridiculous tip.

Caveat: most current Sprint plans allow for 100 SMS messages before a small surcharge per message. Not sure if that's for SMS sent, or received, or both, as happily I am grandfathered into the unlimited SMS plan. So check with Sprint about your plan, and consider upgrading to unlimited, if you decide to give this a shot!
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/30/2004 at 10:24 AM.
    There are a lot of threads on how to do this (so I won't go into it) and this works really well. It's a great setup that some of us have been using for a couple of years now (ever since snappermail and treohelper came out). I bet quite a few people don't know about this so your post is going to be really instructive for them.

One thing to keep in mind, as you play around with the setup. I started out doing the same thing that you are doing (fwd a copy of your e-mails straight to yourcellnumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com. The thing to keep in mind is that when you receive an e-mail over a certain size, and you fwd it to yourcellnumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com, it will work as you have mentioned but it will also bounce back to the sender of the original e-mail. This may irritate them or just make them think that you didn't receive the message.

There are a couple of possible solutions that you can undertake (or it may not bother you at all). One is to use a service (like www.fastmail.fm) that lets you aggregate your e-mail and then can be setup to automatically send a triggering sms to treohelper whenever you have new e-mail. Another thing that you can try out (for free if you have a sprint account and it looks like you do), is to fwd a copy of your incoming e-mail to your sprint e-mail account. The free sprint e-mail account can be set up to send a notification sms to treohelper. This notification sms will not cause any bouncing etc so it works really well. Anyway, its great that you mentioned your setup, I think its a geat way to get snappermail to basically get your e-mail instantly.
    i Love this setup! iswear by it. i don't think the majority of treo users are aware of the solution. treocentral should do an article on it!
    Actually Sprint has this for free. Set it up at your account, choose other when using using your sprint mailbox and it will pull email from all your accounts simultaneously with one click. I have been using this feature for 2 years on my old a500, since you could not go directly to an arbitrary mail server on that phone like you can on the 650 in versamail.

Also using this method you do not have to set up all your clients to forward mail, etc.
    I'm already using Fastmail and would like to try the SMS notification. Anyone know how to set it up in Fastmail? I'm looking around on their website and don't see it anywhere.
    Okay, I am new to all this and need specific instructions that will prompt TreoHelper to launch Versamail when I receive an incoming SMS from my Sprint mail.

What is this PBJ program? Is it necessary to make TreoHelper work?

Can somebody please help with the settings?

Thanks
    K
    I'll try:

- Have your e-mail forwarded to "youraccount@sprintpcs.com"
    - Make sure your Sprint account is set to send you an SMS nitification.
    - TreoHelper has an SMS tab; I set mine to trigger when it sees "@" (so it's triggered by any mail), and indicate that it activates your mail app.
    - Set TH to delete the SMS, so you don't have to respond to it.
    - set your mail client so that it doesn't auto fetch.

The end result is that your mail client will manually fetch whenever you get a message. I swear by it.

Hope that helps!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Ok...all of that is done and I still Versamail still isn't responding, nor is TreoHelper automatically deleting the incoming SMS. Is it necessary for me to have the PBJtime or any other program installed to make this work?

THIS NEWBIE THANKS YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

K
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I just remembered my webhoster has forwarding features on the server end. Any mail sent to my email account can be delivered as well as automatically forwarded to another address. So there are lots of ways to skin the same cat.

I'm enjoying the discussion, carry on folks!
    Hey Hey...I got it working. I deleted and reinstalled the application and now it is working like a charm. GOTTA LOVE THIS!

I love this board and all the knowledge it has to offer.

I do have one more question. The drop down list for the Message tone is empty and even though, "vibrate" is checked I don't anything when a new message is downloaded. Do these functions work on the 650?

How do I get the phone to alert me when it downloads new mail?

K
    I really like this solution as well. But am trying a 14 day trial of www.versaforward.com
    The great thing about this program is that it runs on any computer connected to the internet, meaning it's not my laptop that I have outlook running, it's my extra desktop in the backroom. The other is that it has filter rules. So emails from treocentral for example do not send me an SMS, or other forums for that matter, or else I'd be getting hit all day. It also has smart text compression, so it does things like takes spaces out of the message so you get more info on 160 characters, and you can remove words from emails or shorten certain ones like and to &, etc.. Very cool program. I'd suggest downloading the trial. I have 6 days left and will probably pay the $30 for the 4 account license. The filtering is the best part. And oh yeah, you can even set times of which it works. 7am-10pm monday-fri, 10am-10pm sat, sun, etc.

I'm using treohelper to trigger snapper but not deleting the sms since I like the LED notification of SMS messages from butler.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    I really like this solution as well. But am trying a 14 day trial of www.versaforward.com
    Cool, thanks for the tip... great to see they have Windows, Mac, and Linux clients. I think I'll check that one out!
    I have been thinking this would be pretty easy for awhile now. What I don't get is that if this is so easy, why doesn't Snappermail just add this as a feature built right into their application. It would require a desktop component and a Treo component but really doesn't seem that difficult. If they are supposed to be "Best in Class" email, what is holding them up?
    Just my two cents worth, but check with your mail provider on server based forwarding. I host my own email using a program called MailEnable. It allows me to setup a 'redirection' rule on the server for all incoming mail. I know you can do this with Yahoo POP accounts as well as on Exchange servers by creating a rule in Outlook and specifying it to be server based.

That way you wouldn't need to keep a computer up and running to do this. You'd simply let the mail server do it.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    I have been thinking this would be pretty easy for awhile now. What I don't get is that if this is so easy, why doesn't Snappermail just add this as a feature built right into their application. It would require a desktop component and a Treo component but really doesn't seem that difficult. If they are supposed to be "Best in Class" email, what is holding them up?
    Interesting thought, especially considering I paid $60 (!) for their "Enterprise" edition. Yet in the end I found the IMAP implementation to still be too slow on syncs. And the memory card support didn't work the way I'd hoped, it offloads directly there after a user-specified amount of time, instead of saving directly there. So in a sense I paid a lot extra for features I'm not using. Sure would like for SnapperMail to have a "real" push strategy. And for that I'd feel I got my money's worth. Unfortunately I have a feeling they'd charge a handsome upgrade fee for that! (I missed out on the lifetime upgrade option, obviously.)
    Okay!... Got it figured out!

First, what I find is that you need to soft reset your phone after making any changes in TreoHelper, otherwise your new settings WILL NOT WORK.

In order to keep Snappermail from triggering when a true SMS (not a forwarded email SMS) comes through this is how I set things up:

Went into my Sprint PCS Mail Preferences and Settings and enabled "Mail Notification". This differs from Mail Forwarding in that when an email comes in an SMS is sent to your phone telling you to "Check your PCS mail". Unlike Mail Forwarding, you get this message regardless of the size or content of the email.

Note:
    I DID enable "mail forwarding", also, because I like the security of having the first 160 characters of my emails as an SMS.

In TreoHelper my trigger text is ("Check) and I have chosen to delete the Mail Notification ("Check your PCS mail") SMS messages upon receipt.

The end result---and this is the beautiful part!!!

1. Snapper DOES NOT fetch when a true SMS comes in
    2. I still get the first 160 characters of all email that goes into my PCS mailbox as an SMS message and this message does NOT get deleted like the "Check your PCS mail" message.
    3. The "Check your PCS mail" SMS does not stay on my phone so you don't have duplication notifications
    4. I don't have to worry that the size of the email will prevent SMS notification.

Insofar as the new mail alert not working with TreoHelper...I over came that problem by launching Snappermail instead of Versamail. Versamail does not have an alert option when manually fetching. Snappermail DOES!

Thanks guys for your help!

K
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    Just my two cents worth, but check with your mail provider on server based forwarding. I host my own email using a program called MailEnable. It allows me to setup a 'redirection' rule on the server for all incoming mail. I know you can do this with Yahoo POP accounts as well as on Exchange servers by creating a rule in Outlook and specifying it to be server based.

That way you wouldn't need to keep a computer up and running to do this. You'd simply let the mail server do it.
    Yeah I mentioned that above. Your message prompted me to check the available settings on my other email account though... (Apple's .Mac) and I was happy to see they offer it too! For those with .Mac, you set this up by logging in to webmail.mac.com and clicking on Preferences: Accounts. You can have your mail forwarded but also left on the server for normal fetching.

Now I'd like to discuss other strategies... like filtering these SMS messages so alerts from them don't appear, etc.

I am also a bit torn now because ALL messages, including spam, get forwarded... could drive me batty. My laptop's email client (Entourage 2004) does a bang-up job of filtering spam for me already. Now my Treo's gonna get the hit as the mail is forwarded before the spam is filtered out. Hmm... I guess that's what a desktop forwarder could work around, filtering out spam and also by subject/sender/time of day, etc.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    Okay!... Got it figured out!

First, what I find is that you need to soft reset your phone after making any changes in TreoHelper, otherwise your new settings WILL NOT WORK.

In order to keep Snappermail from triggering when a true SMS (not a forwarded email SMS) comes through this is how I set things up:
    Well, just as an added data point, TreoHelper's "filter" also scans through the "from" field. So let's say you want your desktop client filtering spam and taking care of the forwarding task for you. You could tell TreoHelper to filter for *your email address,* so any of these emails-forwarded-as-SMS-messages from YOU would get deleted but also trigger a normal mail check.

What's interesting is that when you set up forwarding from a web-based panel (like mac.com or Yahoo or Sprint) it retains the original sender's name. When you forward from your desktop, however, your name becomes the new sender. Additionally when you "redirect" from your desktop, the mail is sent with both a "from" field and a "redirected by" field, but unfortunately the Treo's SMS application only reports the "redirected by" field. So there's no real way to preserve the original sender's email name when sending from a desktop... unless VersaForward does it differently... I'll have to check into that.

Fortunately with TreoHelper triggering a "real" email check, the above no longer really matters.

It is nice to see however that this can be accomplished in so many ways - via your mail server, via your desktop (email client or dedicated forwarder like VersaForward,) via SprintPCS itself...
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/30/2004 at 12:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I'm having some troubles experimenting with using Sprint's site to do the SMS notifications.

1) I logged in there for the first time and had 200 spams waiting for me. Nice.

2) The webmail tool is slow and clunky, there was no way to easily "delete all"??

3) I'm concerned about filling this mailbox up... how will it get housecleaned every so often, considering that it'll now fill up with a copy of my external mail?

4) I was able to fetch 4 messages from my external POP (I have a lot more waiting) and now I get this error:
    "There is a problem with GetExternalMessageServlet java.lang.NullPointerException with message "null"

5) Despite getting those 4 messages, and turning on SMS notifications, I didn't get any notifications on my phone.

Hmm.

I think I may be better off working around Sprint's built in tools on this one. There are enough alternatives to try... the above 5 issues have me concerned. Any comments?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    One interesting thing about VersaForward is that with all the text compression and filtering features, et al, it can be used as just an email-to-SMS gateway on it's own. (ie it can cram as much as the email's content as possible.)

What an interesting little app, thanks for the heads up, smartphone. I can see this coming in handy for lots of folks (Treo users or not.)

Not sure I can rely on SMS forwards like this alone though. Especially since my replies will come from my cellnumber and not my real email address. And if I'm going to have TreoHelper initiate a full SnapperMail check anyway... I start to wonder why I need VersaMail after all.

So many options, too little time.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/30/2004 at 12:59 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast