Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    Yes it's $5/mo - but well worth it (and no $60 software to buy).
    LOL! 5 bucks a month works out to 60 bucks a year with NO $60 software to own. hahahaha
    Still liking the versaforward solution. a few things is that you can crop to exactly 160 characters. and as mentioned before you can setup certain times that you get alerts. i.e. certain times you don't get alerts, like while you sleep....

I have I think 4 more days on my trial. i think i'm going to buy it and use it with snappermail.
    I used to use this solution with a Treo 300 but I (perhaps falsely?) concluded that this did not work on my Treo 600. Do any of you have this working on a 600 or are you all using 650's? (I'll be tinkering a little harder in the meantime in case there is something I missed here.)

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy
    I used to use this solution with a Treo 300 but I (perhaps falsely?) concluded that this did not work on my Treo 600. Do any of you have this working on a 600 or are you all using 650's? (I'll be tinkering a little harder in the meantime in case there is something I missed here.)

-- Bob
    Yes it works on the 600. I have used it (solution involving Treo helper) on the 300, the 600, and now the 650.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    fyi - I've used this extensively on TMo. Problem is that When TMo has problems, the sms gets bounced back to the sender and it looks like your message was undeliverable....
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy

-- Bob
    I realized that (at least my) Sprint Treo 600 did not have Versamail and that's why it was not working for me. (I've got it working, without need for PBJTime.) Thanks everyone!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    This seems like a cool way to get email notifications. I have versamail set to check every hour but I'm not convinced it is reliable and often find myself checking my accounts manually. One question I have for you guys is this: When an email alert comes up on your phone, do you get charged for 1 SMS message. I have a limit of 100 free SMS messages on my account but I recieve far more then 100 emails a month. Will I wind up paying out the nose (or worse yet one of my few remaining orifices) when I get 700 sms email notifications every month?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    ...Previously I was resigned to just check my home-office voicemail a few times an hour...CIDTrackerX...Caller ID info...get sent immediately to my Treo via email to my SMS...
    (this is somewhat off-topic)

you may want to look into vonage; its a company that delivers phone service over your existing broadband. this is not the place to go into all its benefits, but the relevant one that i had in mind is that you can get email notification when a voice mail is left.

i mention it because i have my work phone number (a vonage number) set up so that when a vm is left, i get an email (and sms).

as you may imagine, it is incredibly convenient to get instant notification (via a text message) when someone has left you a vm.

if you want to know more about vonage i am happy to answer questions, i have been a happy customer for more than 2 years now. i just did not want to get into that subject here since its so completely off-topic.

back on the topic of this thread

for a long time now i have been using yahoo as my mail server, not only do they do spam filtering, but you can also set up rules to trigger sms messages to a mobile phone. i use it to get notification when i get email from specific persons only. otherwise, snapper checks my email every 20 minutes. this way, if it is from someonr "important" i know right away i got an email waiting.

just adding my 2 cents on what works for me.

great info on this thread. its very useful to know that there are so many options.
    Been trying this setup with my mail server forwarding a copy of all emails sent to my sprint account, which then alerts me of incoming email on Treo 650. Prob is Treohelper then trigers versamail to get fetch an account but it times out because of Keygaurd.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by illbits
    Been trying this setup with my mail server forwarding a copy of all emails sent to my sprint account, which then alerts me of incoming email on Treo 650. Prob is Treohelper then trigers versamail to get fetch an account but it times out because of Keygaurd.
    I'm doing the same thing without Keyguard, but I get an authentication error when VersaMail fetches. I actually did get it to work one time. One thing that I noticed is that if I have two or more emails on the sprint server, it will only download one message and then I get an error.
    Well this may be a repeat of earlier posts but I am too lazy to read all three pages of these complicated solutions. If you have T Mobile you can simply go to the communication section of their site after you are logged in and set up your email account there. It checks regularly and then sends you a text message whenever a new message is received or based on rules you create. I believe you can set it up to monitor up to 5 different email accounts. Simple.
    -Ian
    And all of this is easier than paying a one time fee of $32 for Chatter? I know the UI isn't as nice as Snapper, but heck the program is barely past the 1.0 release. Give Marc some time and I bet you Chatter will be just as nice to look at...
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Chatter beta has just added this feature. See the discussion here:

http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...4&id=1346#1346
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123