Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by markinbright
    I'm already using Fastmail and would like to try the SMS notification. Anyone know how to set it up in Fastmail? I'm looking around on their website and don't see it anywhere.
    First, what level is your account at, and do you have any spam settings set up (filters) in fastmail? This is important because in fastmail you can set things up so that it will only send an sms notification if the e-mail is below a certain spam threshold. This is obvioulsy pretty desirable as it filters out all of your spam so you aren't downloading it to your Treo.

In fastmail, you should see the setting (for notifications) in "options" --> "define rules." When you are in the "define rules" page, you should see a section (near the bottom of the page) that says "Automatic notification/forwarding" Do you see these sections?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I'm having some troubles experimenting with using Sprint's site to do the SMS notifications.

1) I logged in there for the first time and had 200 spams waiting for me. Nice.

2) The webmail tool is slow and clunky, there was no way to easily "delete all"??

3) I'm concerned about filling this mailbox up... how will it get housecleaned every so often, considering that it'll now fill up with a copy of my external mail?

4) I was able to fetch 4 messages from my external POP (I have a lot more waiting) and now I get this error:
    "There is a problem with GetExternalMessageServlet java.lang.NullPointerException with message "null"

5) Despite getting those 4 messages, and turning on SMS notifications, I didn't get any notifications on my phone.
    I now use fastmail as my primary e-mail account and it has notifications (so I no longer use the sprint account). I think you're right about the sprint e-mail account though, when I used to use it (although it worked for the most part), it was a little kludgy. Oh man, I especially recall being frustrated that I couldn't easily "delete all." I also ran into #3 on your list, I would have to go into the sprint account every so often, and delete all the email (for fear it would fill up). Last but not least, I had a run in with #5 on your list. The sprint e-mail account (and thus it's e-mail notifications) is quite unreliable. Sometimes it would just stop working for a day or so, and then it would suddenly work again. It worked most of the time, but every couple of weeks or so it would go down for a while.
    I have asked this in another thread, however I am looking for some more feedback.

How many of you fellow TreoHelper users are using versamail to auto fetch after receiving an SMS?

I am finding that the keyguard causes versamail to timeout during an SMS activated fetch.

Anyone else? or is everyone using snappermail?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Okay now I am really getting into this. Previously I was resigned to just check my home-office voicemail a few times an hour. Instead now I installed an app on my desktop Mac called CIDTrackerX. It polls my home-office phone line for Caller ID info when people call in, and that info (name, date, phone number calling from) get sent immediately to my Treo via email to my SMS. Then I know when/if to check my home-office voicemail, and I can also just tap their number in the Treo SMS app to call them back. I'm self-employed and my phone line is my pipeline to new business. But I don't give out my cell-phone number since clients would bug me all hours of the day and even weekends. And I didn't want to forward all calls to my cell phone either, since that would get expensive and bothersome to boot. This SMS gateway is a great solution for me.

Back to the subject of this thread, I am also getting emails forwarded to me from the .Mac server... those SMS messages are deleted by TreoHelper which also triggers an immediate check in SnapperMail, downloading the full email. Then I can respond via SnapperMail with my real email address.

The bad news is I'm finding some features in TreoHelper don't work though (like vibration, and the Message Tone pull down is blank?)

And the SnapperMail notifications aren't ideal either. I don't want a splash screen to click past, all I want is an alert sound, or maybe a blinking sign to tap. The current "alert" is just too damn bold and doesn't go away on its own (I don't think.)

It seems that if I delete the SMS messages then I lose some choices when it comes to alerts for this situation. And if I turn off alerts completely, and just go to SnapperMail to see if I have mail.. well then I might as well initiate manual email checks at that point.

What have you folks found to be ideal in terms of email alerts? I want something that will alert me to emails subtly, not something that demands my attention above all else. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/30/2004 at 11:11 PM.
    Ok this absolutely works as a "Rule" in Outlook. I am not a programmer but I found this challenge so I took it and made it work.

I find this solution is better because you can create a custom mail message to go out instead with a predefined To: and Subject: line instead of whatever message you are forwarding. This solution relieves problems with text message lenghth. As the earlier posts mention, some mail servers will let you do this on the server side and that is much easier but not all servers can and with this solution you can create very complex rules in outlook to send multiple different e-mails to the treo depending on how crafty and organized you want to be. Having said all that there are a few caveats.

1) You must use Outlook 2004 of course
    2) You must enable the use of "Macros"
    3) You have the have Visual Basic Editor functionality in your installation of Outlook/Office
    4) You must have whatever computer you use on all the time (office computer?)

Now this trick is just for the PC side you still have to use the programs on your Treo to complete the process.

Step 1 - Create the Macro
    You have the option of creating your own macro or using the one that I attached. I have uploaded the file as a service but I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong with your computer

Importing the Macro:
    1) Open Outlook
    2) go to "Tools"
    3) go to "Macros"
    4) click on "Visual Basic Editor" and VBE will launch
    5) go to "File" Import
    6) browse to the folder where you downloaded the file and click ok
    7) Click save and go down to setting up the rules

Creating the Macro:
    1) Open Outlook
    2) go to "Tools"
    3) go to "Macros"
    4) click on "Visual Basic Editor" and VBE will launch
    5) go to "Insert"
    6) click on "Module"
    7) then a window pops up, copy and paste this;

Sub CustomMailMessageRule(objMsg As MailItem)

Dim olApp As Outlook.Application
    Dim objMail As Outlook.MailItem
    Set olApp = Outlook.Application

'Create e-mail item
    Set objMail = olApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With objMail
    'Sets To: Sub: fields
    .To = "5551112222@tmomail.net"
    .Subject = "New Mail Message"
    .Send
    End With

End Sub

8) Change "5551112222@tmomail.net" to your mobile phone number email (I happen to be on t-mobile then change the subject to whatever you like
    9) File Save

Ok so what this script does is create a new mail message with the "To" field filled out with your phone email and the subject filled out as well. It will then send itself automatically also. If you are experienced with VBVBVB $then$ $you$ $can$ $create$ $much$ $more$ $complex$ $macros$ $but$ $I$ $think$ $that$ $this$ $will$ $suffice$ $for$ $most$ $users$.

Now to creat the rule to send the e-mail.
    1) go to "Tools"
    2) click on "Rules and Alerts"
    3) click on "start from blank rule" or something like that
    4) select "Check messages when they arrive" and click next
    5) here you can set your rules however you want them defined. Basically you are telling outlook to send an e-mail whenever you have a new imcoming email. I just use "...To or Cc contains my name". Click next
    5) Here go down the list and check "...run a script"
    6) Click on the underlined "script" word and if everything else went as planned you should see your script the file I uploaded is titled "CustomMailMessageRule"
    7) Click finish

Well now you have the rule set up and hard part is done. Now all you have to do is set up the program on the palm to recognize the sender (aka you) and the subject line.

Well I hope this helps someone it works damn fine for me even though I don't even own a Treo

BTW this is kinda how Exchange Server works for PDA's. It sends out an SMS to your phone and your phone dl's the emails.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ql218; 12/31/2004 at 05:37 AM.
    Ya know...I never hear anyone talk about the Sprint Business Connection. Does no one like this feature? I love it simply because it keeps my work email seperate from my home email that I use in Versamail.
    The nice thing about Business Connection is that it supports POP3/IMAP and will "push" it to your device. It will also automatically send you an SMS with every new email or you can filter it.
    In my case, I use the Business Connection because I can see all of my Exchange email, folders, My Documents, Contacts and Calendar.
    Be warned though, it won't run well on the SD...causes lots of resets.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Isn't Chatter much easier to use than Fofer's sms-push setup? Can't comment on the GUI issue.
    nice idea... good thing rogers wireless has a setup for the treo or any smartphone when you set up any pop3 email service to have email sent to your treo rogers auto sends a sms to you to alert you have new mail.. so i dont have to consistantly check for email if its not there..
    Folks, why go around your a-- to get to your elbow? This is easily accomplished using SPCSs Business Connection (personal or prof.). BC is already set up to push to your device. I have a desktop client with my exchange box configured, along with several personal accounts. All of them push to me in real time. Yes it's $5/mo - but well worth it (and no $60 software to buy).
    KitMoni
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    Folks, why go around your a-- to get to your elbow? This is easily accomplished using SPCSs Business Connection (personal or prof.). BC is already set up to push to your device. I have a desktop client with my exchange box configured, along with several personal accounts. All of them push to me in real time. Yes it's $5/mo - but well worth it (and no $60 software to buy).
    Not all of us have Exchange boxes. (Hell, not all of us have Windows PC's!)

I certainly don't want to pay a monthly fee for this, and even SnapperMail at $60 isn't required. I personally chose SnapperMail for a few (unrelated) features.

The fact is, this is a fast, easy, and FREE tip for lots of folks, and I know I'm enjoying it!
    do I need a "1" or "+1" in front of my number in the sprint sms email address? Set mine to forward but am not getting anything...

Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    I thought this required that you have an "always on" computer, is this not correct? If it's the case that you must have your desktop always on to make this work, this is not something many of us desire.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    do I need a "1" or "+1" in front of my number in the sprint sms email address? Set mine to forward but am not getting anything...
    no mine is just the cell number (area code and 7 digit number) followed by "@messaging.sprintpcs.com"

Test it out first by manually emailing that... see if you get those as SMS messages. If not, call Sprint, there might be something screwy with your account.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    I thought this required that you have an "always on" computer, is this not correct? If it's the case that you must have your desktop always on to make this work, this is not something many of us desire.
    Indeed. That's another reason. Since I've set my email host to do the forwarding, the SMS alerts are sent immediately and I don't need to leave any computer "always on" to do the relaying for me. Another somewhat nice side-benefit of this method is that the SMS messages themselves are sent with the original sender's name intact. So if I just wanted to monitor the (first 150 chars.) of the emails I could so it in the SMS app itself. I have TreoHelper delete them though, just to keep things cleaner.

However, the one reason I could see doing the forwarding via the desktop would be to filter through the mail first... I could set my email client to only alert me of non-spam, non-mailing-list, mail. As it is now, each and every message is forwarded and that might be too much distraction when I'm on the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigG65
    I have asked this in another thread, however I am looking for some more feedback.

How many of you fellow TreoHelper users are using versamail to auto fetch after receiving an SMS?

I am finding that the keyguard causes versamail to timeout during an SMS activated fetch.

Anyone else? or is everyone using snappermail?

I was testing this out today and find that I am getting the timeout too when the keyguard is activated. Might tinker with using treobutler and seeing if that eliminates the problem.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have been testing TreoHelper for a mail fetch with VersaMail. I have TH delete the SMS, but I'm getting an Auth. error every time I try. It never gets the email into VersaMail. I'm only using my user@sprintpcs.com account so far.
    However, the one reason I could see doing the forwarding via the desktop would be to filter through the mail first... I could set my email client to only alert me of non-spam, non-mailing-list, mail. As it is now, each and every message is forwarded and that might be too much distraction when I'm on the go.
    Ah yes, but fastmail lets you do this server side. I have it set up so that only e-mail below a certain spam threshold sends out a notification to the treo. You can also filter for other things (mailing lists etc) but I haven't needed that yet. I agree with you though, if I didn't have this, it would be a good reason for running things through the desktop (for filtering).
    What I haven't figured out yet is how to have the resulting notification alert be disabled during certain hours (like say, when I tend to be sleeping). I'd like to do this without having to disable all sounds and vibration for the evening.

So anyway, here's a little tip I'm enjoying and I thought I'd share. Some of you might already know about this, but it's news to me and I know some of you will appreciate it. Here goes:

Umm...I've been using this setup for 2 years now! But, never-the-less thanks for pointing it out to the newbies here. The only problem is that pretty soon some lazy arse will post a question about this without even trying to search for the answer and we'll have this whole freakin conversation again...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    I have been thinking this would be pretty easy for awhile now. What I don't get is that if this is so easy, why doesn't Snappermail just add this as a feature built right into their application. It would require a desktop component and a Treo component but really doesn't seem that difficult. If they are supposed to be "Best in Class" email, what is holding them up?

The reason is that Snappermail has already indicated that the future roadmap of the email client will involve "push-email' capability. Ver 2.0 was basically to integrate IMAP while the next version will probably entail a "chatter-like" push IMAP capability...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast