Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I was hoping that there might be an udated to Callfilter that would allow me to control when the call completion screen shows up. On calls from family and friends I really don't need the call completion screen, however it is quite useful for business related calls. I'm sure everyone has their own suggestions for other improvements, but I like this one...anyone heard from the developer recently?

Oh, does the program work on the 650? One of the main reasons I haven't yet sold my Treo 600 is Callfilter. However, if it doesn't work on the 650 yet I might just sell it when VC actually ships them and get one of the Windows Mobile phones. I kinda miss that OS anyways...
    try the developer's email address. you can get an answer instead of guesses
    Fat chance you will get a response.
    He's going to update it but not until he gets the gsm version to work on.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by computerfixitguy
    Fat chance you will get a response.
    ow! That hurts. . . what have I ever done to you?

Yes woof is right, Rob is waiting to get a 650 in hand before he starts working on a new version for it. Since he uses GSM sevice, it means he is having to wait for a GSM phone.
    Last edited by Tekara; 12/30/2004 at 12:56 PM.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

For all I know, tomorrow there will be a 1.3 release that does a bunch of neat things for free. I will then feel like a slug for posting this, but man I will be able to make a lot of people happy.

What have have you done to me? Charged a premium price for software thats 90% there and perpetuated hype to keep selling it. There are developers here that charge less and respond better to the users. Callfilter represents both Rob's brilliance and his lack of time to further the software. He should just sell it to someone who can continue on with his great work.

He could fix the very bug he has claimed to have fixed via a direct email to me about not being able to answer 'no callier id' calls. Or he could just fess up and say it cannot be done and I am sorry, Iambic does, but that would take time he doesn't have. I wish I never received that email.

Then I will see him post a message here on how he is going to do this or that in a future version. Here is an example:

"So, I am still alive...and so is CallFilter....its VERY alive....and I am anxious to let all of you see what I have been up to.

This version 1.2 is just a stepping stone....I have even more great things instore for CallFilter. I put a lot of foundational pieces into 1.2, that will allow us to add new features rapidly in the future."

Some lemming buys Callfilter and waits and waits and waits. Takephone , Snappermail, and anything from MotionApps are the exact opposite, they just nudge along getting better and better every few weeks. I even paid 60 bucks for Snapper 2 with a flaw in place which they have since fixed.

So when you asked "what have you ever done to me" My answer is you stopped doing anything. Rob has dissapeared before to magiclly resurface with a update and the promise of new features. More hype. Microsoft is good at this, we call it Vaporware (vware for short?). Since he charges such a high price for the PalmOS market he will be judged by the company he keeps. I demand better. If I was a developer I would buy the app and further it myself. I'd rather just resell it to the people I already know but it has to work first. The developer has to have a detectable pulse.

Derek
    I still love CF... but like Derek, I'm also waiting for updates. I mean, I can totally justify paying $30 for CF, but it would be nice to hear from vware and actually get updates. I know he's waiting for the GSM version of T650, but I wish he'd also throw the owners of the T600 a bone or two once in a while. Kudos to his team for always answering for him, tho that's all they can really do. It's like Jesus' disciples, they can minister to you, but they can't really walk on water, no offense
    You have my sympathy, I did not realize that your life has been so damaged by someone else not being at your whim. It is wonderful to think that a person can spend every woking moment on any one thing. But that's just selfish.

You claim callfilter is being sold at a premium, yet other companies sell similar software that must be combined together to match the functionality at a higher price. You say vaporware, but yet it has only been three and a half months since the last release. I feel that you are just looking for an outlet for your agression. If you want to help, show your support and encourage Rob to continue his work.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by computerfixitguy
    For all I know, tomorrow there will be a 1.3 release that does a bunch of neat things for free. I will then feel like a slug for posting this, but man I will be able to make a lot of people happy.

What have have you done to me? Charged a premium price for software thats 90% there and perpetuated hype to keep selling it. There are developers here that charge less and respond better to the users. Callfilter represents both Rob's brilliance and his lack of time to further the software. He should just sell it to someone who can continue on with his great work.

He could fix the very bug he has claimed to have fixed via a direct email to me about not being able to answer 'no callier id' calls. Or he could just fess up and say it cannot be done and I am sorry, Iambic does, but that would take time he doesn't have. I wish I never received that email.

Then I will see him post a message here on how he is going to do this or that in a future version. Here is an example:

"So, I am still alive...and so is CallFilter....its VERY alive....and I am anxious to let all of you see what I have been up to.

This version 1.2 is just a stepping stone....I have even more great things instore for CallFilter. I put a lot of foundational pieces into 1.2, that will allow us to add new features rapidly in the future."

Some lemming buys Callfilter and waits and waits and waits. Takephone , Snappermail, and anything from MotionApps are the exact opposite, they just nudge along getting better and better every few weeks. I even paid 60 bucks for Snapper 2 with a flaw in place which they have since fixed.

So when you asked "what have you ever done to me" My answer is you stopped doing anything. Rob has dissapeared before to magiclly resurface with a update and the promise of new features. More hype. Microsoft is good at this, we call it Vaporware (vware for short?). Since he charges such a high price for the PalmOS market he will be judged by the company he keeps. I demand better. If I was a developer I would buy the app and further it myself. I'd rather just resell it to the people I already know but it has to work first. The developer has to have a detectable pulse.

Derek

wow...get a hobby
    can't rob borrow somebodys 650 to update CF...
    geez or sign up 4 sprint & return before 14 days up, then return 4 refund...
    Need CF.. paid my $ & can't use it..
    its not like I switched to PPC OS.
    Rob uses GSM. And I'd expect any good developer to adequately test the app on all technologies and platforms the app is aimed at, rather than releasing a version out into the wild and expecting the users to be beta testers.

And 14 days is hardly enough time to develop, test, recode and release.
    too bad he couldn't pair upw/someone who has 650... any of his "disciples" like tekra have one.. bet somebody like shadowmite could help...
    guess u can see how baddly we need call filter....i have no way of filter out work calls!!! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    too bad he couldn't pair upw/someone who has 650... any of his "disciples" like tekra have one.. bet somebody like shadowmite could help...
    guess u can see how baddly we need call filter....i have no way of filter out work calls!!! LOL
    hehe. you can always try Lightwav 5.0 beta
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    litewave gonna start call filtering?
    hell..already paid for CF & have only used it since 1.2 release when had 600.
    I would appreciate it if u could ask rob to include this feature for CF on 650:
    I would like to set a rule (can activate manully as needed.. maybe as profile in conjunction w/milans profile app) that sends all calls to voicemail & disables all alerts & scheduled tasks (like email & treoalarm from trying to access internet) while bt dun is on.
    I get so p*ssed off when I am using bt dun & a call alert comes in or an app tries to connect to internet because it kills the bt connection...which is a royal pain to get back @ times...involving treo reset, taking out & put bt usb adapter back in & reconnecting.
    I think a feature to address this is needed & be perfect addittion to CF.
    TIA
    john
    can do!

thanks tekara..
    I know its late in the game.. but it would be awesome help!