Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am brand new to this forum. I am anxiously awaiting the Treo 650. A very good friend of mine suggested I get teh 600 about 3 months ago, but I heard there was a 650 coming and decided to wait.

I currently use a Blackberry 7290. I do a lot of international travel for work, and I love the quad-band versatility. I do not know a whole lot about technology, but I like the fact that the Treo will seem to have more toys than the Blackberry. That being said, my main concern is that the Blackberry simply works great for phone, email and contacts; it also syncs really well with outlook.

I have looked through this forum and not seen any comparison discussions between Blackberry and Treo, which surprised me. Do any of you have any ideas how the two may compare (I am with Cingular)? Will my email access through work be as fast and efficient with the Treo? My main use of the device is to keep connected with others regarding work, but I spend a lot of time in airports and would love to have something entertaining without having to open my laptop.

Thanks.
    By default, the Treo e-mail isn't in real time - you set your mail program to pull down mail at regular intervals.

There are 3rd party solutions, however; Chatter provides push mail, as does using a workaround involving having a program called TreoHelper trigger a fetch of your mail.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    The Treo is a good overall PDA device, the blackberry is an excellent email device that handles PDA functions ok. I have both, but my treo as of late as been sitting on my desk in favor of my ligher 7290. The battery on the blackberry is much much better, and email is basically realtime (provided you are running BES). The only way to get even remotely close to this is if you use software from Good Technology (www.good.com), I honestly think if you travel as much as you do, you can't go wrong with a blackberry. I still don't see the Treo working as smoothly as a blackberry. That said, you can't run as many applications on a blackberry as you can on a treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rziems
    I have looked through this forum and not seen any comparison discussions between Blackberry and Treo, which surprised me.
    That surprises me too - I recommend performing a search using the term "blackberry". You will find numerous threads comparing the two. I guarantee it. Keep in mind that, in general, posts to these forums are biased toward Treos.

I quick word of advice based on your post - if you have something that suits all of your business needs, I recommend sticking with it.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    The Blackberry is great for e-mail if you need it real-time and in a more rugged device. The PIM functions are poor compared to the Treo. Add-on programs for the Treo make it better for dealing with e-mail attachments and about everything else. If you are running a BES, need tight integration with your company, and want a solid, easy to deal with device, the Blackberry is hard to beat. The Treo, however, does a whole lot more than the Blackberry but you have to involve yourself more in setting it up right for you. The Blackberry requires little user interface and is therefore easier if you mainly need e-mail capability.

Based on your stated needs, and if you are not too tech savvy, I would suggest you stick with the Blackberry and maybe pickup a Palm Tungsten (or dare I say PPC) for your entertainment/idle time. It might be too early for you to adopt the Treo 650 if you want to maintain seamless integration with your office.
    I think the key for you is your IT department. If your IT department is willing to support Treo 650, your should be okay. Email effiency is more of a software issue than a hardware issue. Good Technology is as good as BES, but I am not sure if your company will support it. BES should be available on Treo 650 in the next three months, if you are willing to wait that long.

If your need is email and email first, Blackberry can't be beat. Other than that, Treo 650 is simpaly a better phone, pda, MP3 player, game handheld, etc...
    Does anyone know when Cingular will start providing service for Treo 650?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I live in Suffolk County, Long Island, and I called two Cingular stores today. The first said that he was told that the 650 won't be available in his store until March. The second told me that she hasn't heard anything yet.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Oh, yeah. I then called a Cingular store in Washington, D.C. where some relatives live. The sales rep told me he hasn't heard anything about when the 650 will be available.
  10.    #10  
    Thank you all for your input.

My instinct is that the Blackberry is more suitable for my every day needs, but the Treo just seems to offer so much more. If my IT department will support the Treo, then maybe it is worth it. As long as I get email relatvely quickly and regardless of what country I am in, the Treo will probably work. It's just so darned cool. I hope Cingular will carry it soon.

I am sorry I missed the other Blackberry posts. I tried to do a search with just typing Blackberry and didn't come up with anything relevant. Probably user-error.
    People often ask 'will the Treo do what my Blackberry does?' and they're not getting the whole picture. Most of the so-called magic of the Blackberry device (and there's really no magic, per se) lies in the server software of the BES - the Blackberry Enterprise Server. So - comparing just the actual device (treo vs 7X90 or whatever) doesn't really address the entire story. As was stated above, the Treo, when combined with the specific server software of choice (Good, Intellisync, etc for Exchange; Chatter, others for IMAP) can do everything the BB can. It just needs server software to complete the picture.
    BB has no real magic, but people often overlook the fact that server software of some sort of another is needed.
    Also, RIM has done a great job of conditioning the market - setting the user expectation of 'all I need is email' - many folks who use wireless handhelds like BBs have been brainwashed into lowering their expectations into 'all I need is email'. The typical Treo user is one who has experienced MORE than email, and knows that the greater functionality that's available out there - beyond email - is what the Treo is best for. Yes it can do email, and it can do a lot more.
  12.    #12  
    Well put. Thank you. Bottom line is that I want more than just email, but I was afraid that if it didn't do email the way the Blackberry does then I could not use it because my company expects me to be reachable via email on a mobile device. Knowing that the capability is there for the Treo to provide the same email service, I definitely want the "more" that it offers.
    Actually, in many cases, you don't even need server software. If your company can't/won't install mail server-specific software, most cell companies have desktop client proxies that can be installed by the user to get mail to their handheld. For instance, with Sprint I use their Business Connect software which uses a desktop PC to push messaging to their servers and then down to your device. As long as you have a personal PC that can receive mail via Outlook and that you can run 24/7, it works really well. I imagine Cingular has something similar.
    dale - yes just about all carriers offer some sort of client proxy software apps (also commonly called redirectors) that will redirect mail to your device. The issue, of course, is that in most cases, the PC that's doing the redirecting presents a security problem to most IT shops. As well, some of the carrier-offered redirectors require that user's PC to be persistently connected, meaning, of course, the user often needs to take his/her PC along with him/her whilst mobile. But also, some redirectors allow another PC to act on behalf of the user(s) - I know that Business Connection offers such a method, but when I've used that in the past, it was problematic, and I could never get that other person's PC to actually work to send mail to my Treo.
    Anyway - yes, there are redirectors out there, but those really aren't an enterprise solution. Good for small groups, or an individual user, but not for a large enterprise.
    Yes, the security hole is there. But in most cases, any existing security methods we have, like instrusion detection, have been sufficient to secure the PC. The other risk (though not for me) is that the email you send and receive may classified or confidential and you may not want a third party handling this info. There's always a risk.

For me, I have a dedicated PC to act as a mail "server". My normal work/syncing PC (actually a notebook) can go with me whenever without affecting my email pushes.
    nrosser hit it on the head.

We've used both Treo and BB internationally, and the Treo wins, esp for all the stuff outside of email (although the Treo is better on attachments).

If you want to carry fewer devices, wait for the GSM 650.

IMHO, BB are overrated and more costly overall for less functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    For me, I have a dedicated PC to act as a mail "server". My normal work/syncing PC (actually a notebook) can go with me whenever without affecting my email pushes.
    Ditto (except I'm using an old Win2K Notebook) and I've noticed that it is incredibly stable. I only reboot it every couple of weeks to ensure the latest virus protection files are active.

I'm planning to get PalmVNC working so that I can remotely bring my server's VPN client back up, if necessary.
    I have a Blackberry 7100r (rogers edition)...its a new device in the sense that its geared towards more of a phone appearance, and well has all the meat of a bb, and then some.

The device is awesome dont get me wrong, however yesterday (dec 31, 2004), i made the decision to go back to my treo 600. The only reason why i left my treo 600, was due to the fact that i thought she was dying. But alas that brick of mine is the best. I miss touch screen, and the full qwerty keyboard as opposed to the condensed version. My bb will now be my backup phone in case of failure.

What i plan to do with my treo 600, to be able to get mail, is to make sure i have my outlook to keep my mail on the server after i get it from outlook, so i can get it on my treo, when i am not home. IMO a minor change from my push email trait.

The overall reason why i am going back to my treo 600, is that my charm is slow as a snail. And well enough is enuf. In comparison the treo 600 is lightning fast in comparison, and well i never had an issue with speed on the treo 600.

So yeah the bb does a great job..i should have waited for the 7290 instead of swiping the 7100r, but hey i learn and can afford to have this kind of fun. So hey no harm no foul
  19.    #19  
    I just spoke with my IT department and it appears they recently decided to get rid of the Goodie server that was used for palms. They are focussing on Blackberrys only. I re-read this thread, and forgive me for being a bit dense, but is there still a way for a Treo to get close to instant email from my work address and also allow me to send email from the Treo using my work address?

I am becoming so impatient about the Treo 650 I am about to go to Cingular tonight to get the 600. Can someone convince me that being so impatient is a bad idea? I am heading to Europe in 2 weeks and part of me thinks (here comes the justification processs) that I should get the 600 in order to learn how the Treo works, and then when I get back from Europe at the end of January I can return the 600 while within the 30 day window Cingular gives, and then simply upgrade to the 650 because surely it will be available by then.

Can anyone help?
    Well your email options are highly dependent on your internal infrastructure at work. Do you guys use Exchange, Notes, what? The carriers typically offer some sort of personal email redirector (Sprint and Cingular use SEVEN, Verizon uses Intellisync) that in some cases require you to leave your PC on, sending mail over to your handheld. Cingular calls theirs 'Xpress Mail' - check that out and see what you think.

You might also be able (but I doubt it) to convince your IT folks to open up an IMAP port to your mail server, in which case you could use a fat mail client like Chatter to have mail pushed to you. A lot really depends on your IT folks and your specific mail scene.

In terms of being impatient, well certainly there's no harm in getting a 600 now to test the waters. One thing to keep in mind about the 650, if your company uses Exchange, is that the 650 has a built in mail client, VersaMail, that will sync directly with Exchange 2003, given the correct server configurations.

many many choices out there....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast