1.    #1  
    i have had Palms and the Kyo 7135 for many years and have never needed a HotSync password, ever. But I am upgrading to the 650 right now and on my first setup HotSync, it won't let me start the sync until I enter a "HotSync Password".

How can I proceed?!?
    ~'kito
    Do you have password on you previous device?
    The only time it should ask this is if you have one one your device that is currently associated with Palm Desktop
  4.    #4  
    No, never, ever.
    ~'kito
  5.    #5  
    Any work arounds since I am clueless and going nowhere?
    ~'kito
  6.    #6  
    Was I supposed to fully remove my old Palm desktop before installing the new one from the CD?
    ~'kito
    Try looking in the Palm Desktop to see if you can unselect the require password option. That is really strange
  8.    #8  
    VERY strange. I just checked (per your advice) and there is no check in the box that says "Require password". What the heck?!? Help.
    ~'kito
    Could it be your private records password?
  10.    #10  
    I don't think I have any private records. Where would I check?
    ~'kito
    THats the password I am referring to. IF he has one and then checks "require Password" on the Palm Desktop, it will not allow a sync of a new device without entering it.
    Mine had this too. I ordered from Telesales with a new phone number. I can't remember what the password was. Try this:

Last four digits of your phone number

or
    last four of your social

or
    or
    I had the exact same problem when moving from a 600 to a 650. I ended up syncing with another name, then going back and deleting the new name and hotsyncing with my original hotsync name and for some reason it worked. I think it would be easier just to uninstall completely and start over.
  14.    #14  
    Now I'm really screwed! I tried to uninstall it and got an error:
    "Error 1401. Could not create key "HKey_Users S-1-5-21-14...". Verify that you have sufficient access to that key." Which I assume means that I now can't hotsync OR remove the palm desktop from my computer without that mysterious password. I tried 3 different ways of removing it and no luck.
    I guess I will call PalmOne tech surrort, but they are probably not open at this late hour.
    ~'kito
    that really sucks! Please post what you find out.
  16.    #16  
    Is there a tech support phone number for PalmOne? I'm having trouble finding one.
    ~'kito
  17.    #17  
    Well, it is now 1:30am my time and I have spent many, many hours just trying to hotsync my new Treo 650 and I am still right back where I started!!!

I restarted my computer and then was finally able to uninstall Palm Desktop. So then I Installed the new PalmOne Desktop from the CD (again) and figured that since the old one was no longer on the PC, I would not be asked for a password. Well, guess what, during setup, I got sidelined with the password request again!!!!

I am at wits end!
    ~'kito
  18.    #18  
    O.k., 2:30am, problem finally solved!
    It turns out it was referring to the password on the Treo, not the PalmOne Desktop. I tried a ton of numbers, but nothing worked. Then I went to the security app and saw that a password for the device had been assigned.

I had bought my 650 off of eBay (and it is in perfect/mint condition and working beautifully (except for this password thing), and the seller had only made 2 calls on it, but I guess he had assigned a password (or else Sprint had). Anyway, I found how to delete the passsword. It warned that by doing so, the device would delete any Private files, but that was fine because I hadn't yet sync'd any of my data to the device yet.

So once I removed the Treo's assigned password, it sync'd beautifully without asking me for one ever again.

Phwew! Now at 2:30am I can finally start adding fun apps to this fantastic device!

Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone!
    ~'kito