1. RH1
    Hi,

I would like to use the 650 as an MP3 player using some good in ear headphones like the Shure e2c or equivalent. My concern is over the cellular radiation problem. I remember when the corded earpieces came out, there was concern that the phone would use this as an antenna and it was actually channeling more radiation into your ear than not using a headset. Would using earphone for listening to music have the same thing happen? I would much rather buy a dedicated mp3 player than expose myself to radiation as if I was on a cell phone the whole time!

Thanks,
    Robert
    Like gadgets or collectibles? Come check out our forums!
  2. RH1
    Any thoughts?
    Like gadgets or collectibles? Come check out our forums!
    I don't see much of a radiation problem using earbuds. Old analog phones were notorious for leaking radiation, but newer digital phones are much better. Also I think that most of the radiation problem would be when the phone is broadcasting, which won't be happening alot when you are listening to music.
    Zane
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    yeah, what zvandiver said...
    The headphones can't "transmit" radiation via the cord (nor can anything transmit radiation via any conduit other than exposure to the source). Like heat from a radiator or your stove (the heat you feel, not cook with - that is conduction) it is a function of radiation. The closer the transmitter is to your head, the more radiation you are absorbing. Wearing the phone on your hip, you get just as much radiation, but it is your hip that is absorbing it as opposed to your head (and consequently your brain cells). Get headphones (you can find really good deals on the E-3s and they are MUCH better sounding than the E-2s - also check out Etymotic E6i) and a good headset for talking and you never have to put the thing near your noggin again!
    Vince