1.    #1  
    It seems to me that there could be software developed that would allow Readylink to be used on the treo 650. All Readylink does is use Sprints data network (just like using vision to browse the web). I had a friend that installed some software on a Sanyo 4900 (non-Readylink phone) that allowed him to use it... does anyone think that it is possible?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Sprints Sanyo 4900 is a ready link phone.

Yes they can do it. It is just software.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Orange added PTT to the GSM 600 by using software, so yes sprint could do it. It may come about with the Sprint/Nextel merger since a gateway will need to be built to convert Readylink to Nextel, and vise versa. That gateway may also allow for software to be used on the 650/600. So yes it is possible, but it is up to Sprint to make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    Sprints Sanyo 4900 is a ready link phone.
    The 4900 was not ReadyLink enabled. IIRC, it had the PTT button, but no software to utilize it. The first RL phones released were the RL-2000 and RL-2500 if I'm not mistaken (and they came after the 4900... the RL-2000 is the "ruggedized" version of the 4900).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Orange added PTT to the GSM 600 by using software, so yes sprint could do it. It may come about with the Sprint/Nextel merger since a gateway will need to be built to convert Readylink to Nextel, and vise versa. That gateway may also allow for software to be used on the 650/600. So yes it is possible, but it is up to Sprint to make it happen.

They arent going to combine the two technologies like that. Nextel had already wanted to go to CDMA and had been working on a new PTT technology to use on CDMA. The problem was that they didnt have the money to build that network. This is why they wanted to merge... use of Sprint's network... the new PTT network which will not be developed by Motorola (As Nextel's current network is) won't be unleashed to the world until late 2007, and their current network will be used (they hope) by governments exa. Police, Fire, Rescue.
    So is anyone interested in writing a prc for readylink?
    shadowmite should
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    MarkEagle,

You're right...the 4900 was not a RL fone. It's successor was. They did beta testing with the 4900, but it was found that it just didn't make the connections fast enough.

I'd LOVE to see RL for the 650's...
    I recall that shadowmite reported that the 650's rom includes API's for future RL support. However, it will totally be up to Sprint as to whether they will ever release an update. Personally I'm not holding my breath...

Also there are various alternatve PTT/VoIP alternative like the Kodiak PTT client and Kalemsoft's Mychitchat app...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions