1.    #1  
    Does anyone know what happened to Datebook+ in the Treo 650?

I was using this all the time on my Treo 600 because I like managing my prioritized tasks and appointments on the same screen. So I was surprised after upgrading to the 650 to discover that it included only the standard Datebook.

Am I missing something, or did they really downgrade Datebook in the Treo 650? Is there a way to install a reliable Datebook+ on the 650?
  2. gcs
    Hi,
    Just get Datebk5 from http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/
    He's the one who wrote Datebook+ that was included in the Handspring products...
    George
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Make sure you download the correct version for the 650, 5.4a,p7 it's listed on the right side, near the bottom.
    Otherwise you'll grab a non-compatible version.

Also, be careful which button you select to integrate the application. I did the default install and ended up taking over the green phone button, not the datebook button.
    Trying to fix it right now (can't use the prefs screen to deselect).
    To answer the original question, Datebook+ was a subset of Datebook5 licensed by Handsrping. Now that Palm is in charge again, the Treo is back to using Palm's less capable calendar program. Progress, I think they call it....
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I use Datebk5 and the good thing about Palm going back to the old calendar program is that I can use it to tweak or copy the Datebk5 codes and paste them into calender entries generated on the desktop or server. I can't do that with on my Treo 600 because Datebook+ doesn't let them be visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Make sure you download the correct version for the 650, 5.4a,p7 it's listed on the right side, near the bottom.

Also, be careful which button you select to integrate the application. I did the default install and ended up taking over the green phone button, not the datebook button.
    I have installed and deleted and reinstalled at least three of the latest version of datebk5 (the latest being - V-5.4a,p7) on the 650 and every time it seizes the green phone key and it can not be changed. If you delete the program and reset, you;ll get your key back.

Did you find a fix or work around this yet??
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    From the readme:

Fixes in V-5.4a, p5

Avoids potential problem on Treo650 if a user reassigns a hardware button to DateBk5 when it has already been assigned to DateBk5 (especially since the Treo650 no longer allows you to re-assign the first hardware button which then gets selected as a default). Note: If you already experienced this problem with a prior release of DateBk5, there is a small stub app, resetphonebutton.prc which you can download from: http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/resetphonebutton.prc to reset that button to the Phone function.
    To each their own....

But to be honest, I'm a long time user of DateBk5 and I actually LIKE the calendar program on the Treo 650. I really like the agenda view and I don't miss some of the complexity of DateBk5. For now, I haven't bothered to load it on the 650. With the Agenda view and the ability to set color categories for appointments the built-in calendar does most of what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by jberger

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Install Weekview instead of Datebook 5.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Ditto on Fofer's post,
    If you look in the advanced stuff folder which is part of the 5.4 download, you'll find the resetbutton stub which corrects the problem.

Here's the detail:
    First of all, download the latest V-5.4a release which is the only release
    you should be running on a 650. The link for the latest V-5.4a release is
    always on the DateBk5 web page: http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/datebk5.htm

The direct URL is:

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5-v54a-p7.zip

Next, since you can't reassign that button any more at the user level, you
    will need to use the little applet: ResetPhoneButton.prc which you can find
    in the AdvancedStuff.zip archive which itself is in the above zip file. Just
    install, run and then remove that applet and the phone button's function
    will be reset.

Using V-5.4a, p7 will ensure that the problem does not reoccur.
    I tried that fix exactly (3 times in fact) as you described and it did not fix the problem. I finally gave up and mapped the original "calendar" button to launch the phone! Any further Ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic-72
    I tried that fix exactly (3 times in fact) as you described and it did not fix the problem. I finally gave up and mapped the original "calendar" button to launch the phone! Any further Ideas?
    While in DateBk5, what happens if you go to Menu, Options, then Preferences. On the 'Views' tab, where it says Date, change the dropdown to '2'. Leave the Addr, ToDo and Memo values at '-'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic-72
    I'm trying to remember how I got around it, it had something to do with using Takephone or 2day.
    I believe I went into Takephone and set it to takeover the green phone button, and enabled it to cycle to "phone" as well.
    Then I went into the 650 prefs and set the calendar button to 2day. Of course I imagine you could set it to datebk5 or whatever you wanted to.
    I happen to have it setup so that it goes to 2day, then in 2days prefs I set it to go to datebk5 on second press.

I imagine if you didn't want to actually use either of these two programs you may still be able to temporarily install them to enact a fix.
    It would go something like this.
    Install datebk5, and takephone. Go into datebk 5, it assigns itself to the green button.
    Then go into takephone and it's prefs under the "using the phone button" and disable everything but "Phone" app. Make sure you enable the "Phone" app.
    Then click OK and exit the program.
    Click on the green phone button and hopefully it takes you to phone. You can uninstall takephone if you don't like it, or set it to cycle both it and the "phone" app if you like, which is how I have it setup.
    My mistake. I downloaded and installed the button "fix" application to my Treo 650, but I did not "run" the app by clicking on it. When I did, it resolved the problem and now I have my phone button back!
  15. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    To each their own....

But to be honest, I'm a long time user of DateBk5 and I actually LIKE the calendar program on the Treo 650. I really like the agenda view and I don't miss some of the complexity of DateBk5. For now, I haven't bothered to load it on the 650. With the Agenda view and the ability to set color categories for appointments the built-in calendar does most of what I need.
    I agree. I've been a long-time DateBk5 user, but much of the additional functionality over the built-in calendar features of the 650 I can do without. And I need the free space.