1.    #1  
    AvantGo now has competition. Pendragon Software has released their Pendragon Browser. It is freeware for non-commercial use. It works similar to AvantGo, except the channels are stored on your PC. They have some pre-made channels and you can add your own websites. Their web site specifically lists the Handspring Visor as a compatible handheld. The nice feature with this software, is you download the channels from the web whenever you wish. You don't have to be hot syncing. This can save considerable time when the web is slow or your connection is. When you hot sync your Visor, then the channel data is loaded. ZDNET rates it highly and you can download it from their site or from www.pendragonsoftware.com. I think I'm going to switch. The biggest problem is trying to find the URLs for the sites that are connected with AvantGo. For example, Fox News and Fox Sports. When you try to go to their handheld web pages, you are directed to AvantGo.
    i gasped in horror when i read your post. we use pendragon (or however you spell it) for a browser on our intranet at work and it's posed considerable problems. We've talked with tech support and they deny that it's doing anything wrong, however, since installing it on many PC's, strange things have been occuring. CPU speeds decrease, lock-ups, memory problems. Let's hope their palm version is better.
  3.    #3  
    I've been using it since yesterday and it appears to work okay. I didn't see any reference on their web site to a pc version of their software. I really like being able to update the web channels with out having the Visor syncing in the cradle. This was really the pits with my serial cradle. Till it quit working that is. RMA on the way. Or so they say!
    Originally posted by Flash:
    I've been using it since yesterday and it appears to work okay.
    Maybe you could do me a huge favor. Try uninstalling Pendragon (and then reinstall it, of course). I just want to know if other users are having the same problem I did:

After my first attempt to install, Pedragon would not work. I tried to uninstall it, and I received an error telling me that the unintaller could not be found and that the program was possibly already deleted. I reinstalled anyway, and when I tried to uninstall again, I received the same error. Now if I want to remove it, I need to dig into the registry to rip pendragon from my hotsync manager.
    iSiloweb is also competiton to Avantgo. It's free, it takes up less memory and it does other things, Like converting HTML documents so they can be read on a palm. try it at www.isilo.com
    I'll second the recommendation for iSiloWeb. It is my preferred way to suck sites that are updates less than daily to my Visor.

For those not familiar with iSiloWeb, it cans web sites (links, text formatting, even graphics) into the compressed doc files that are read by iSilo (there is a free and a shareware version).
  7.    #7  
    I also got the message when I tried to uninstall from the Pendragon entry in the Start Menu. I went to Control Panel and uninstalled from the ADD/Remove and it uninstalled just fine.

Hmmm... I have isiloweb. Never thought about using it. I'll have to give it a try.
    The reason I'm sticking with AvantGo is an easy one: I sync from two computers, my home PC and my work laptop. AvantGo lets me sync from both places and retain the same content without dickering with dual configurations. It's quite convenient that it's web-based.

I do hope, though, that in a future version they'll somehow allow for timed updates which are then cached locally until the next sync.
    ________________QUOTE________________________
    The reason I'm sticking with AvantGo is an easy one: I sync from two computers, my home PC and my work laptop. AvantGo lets me sync from both places and retain the same content without dickering with dual configurations. It's quite convenient that it's web-based.
    I do hope, though, that in a future version they'll somehow allow for timed updates which are then cached locally until the next sync.
    You can easily use Isilo from work and at home. All you have to do to import your settings and web pages etcÖ is copy one small file to a floppy and take it home and load it. The file is whatever name you give it and ends with a .icl extension. This file is VERY small. Once your settings are saved over then syncing is exactly the same as AvantGo. If you change or add channels in one location all you have to do is copy that file over to the other machine, easy!! It isnít like you have to re do everything. Copying one small file is easy for the benefits you receive as described below.

I tell you Avantgo works nice but was driving me crazy as every time I wanted to add one small program to my Visor it had to try to sync my channels. I know you could cancel it but it was a pain to manage that way. IsiloWeb works better IMHO as I can manage a whole lot of web sites and just select the ones *I* want to update at that time instead of having to change settings on the AvantGosís web site all the time. I like just highlighting say the weather, then next sync all I get is that. Then say I want a sports update, easy. With AvantGo you would have to set it up on the web each time. You can set it to sync once a day etc and that helps but what if I wanted to sync the weather just one more time today before I go home or a traffic report. You have to go and edit the channel, then sync, then edit it back etcÖ With IsiloWeb I just select it and thatís it.

I HIGLHY recommend IsiloWeb now and I just registered Isilo yesterday so am very happy. Also I like that it reads regular docs files as well. I just emailed the author today with 5 good suggestions that he should add that would make it almost perfect!

[This message has been edited by Babylon5 (edited 02-04-2000).]
    Originally posted by Babylon5:

I tell you Avantgo works nice but was driving me crazy as every time I wanted to add one small program to my Visor it had to try to sync my channels. I know you could cancel it but it was a pain to manage that way.
    Well, I dealt with that little problem by clicking on the HotSynch icon in my Win95 machine's system tray, and setting it so the default for the "Mobile Link" conduit is "do not synchronize".
    So the only time AvantGo tries to hotsynch is when I tell it to. I click on the HotSynch icon, select "Custom" and set the Mobile Link conduit to "synchronize". It automatically reverts to "do not synchronize" after the hotsynch is over.

Yeah, for now I think AvantGo is better for me. I prefer the relatively transparent operation of it's channel management. I'm using Pendragon for one web reference web page (for a class), but AvantGo has better 3rd party channel support. Maybe if I ever need stronger browser-proper support, I'll turn to Pendragon or iSiloweb seriously.
    _______________QUOTE____________________
    Well, I dealt with that little problem by clicking on the HotSynch icon in my Win95 machine's system tray, and setting it so the default for the "Mobile Link" conduit is "do not synchronize".
    So the only time AvantGo tries to hotsynch is when I tell it to. I click on the HotSynch icon, select "Custom" and set the Mobile Link conduit to "synchronize". It automatically reverts to "do not synchronize" after the hotsynch is over.

I know that and your right that would solve the overall syncing every time problem. it dos not solve the problem of me easily being able to select what I want to sync and when. One example is I had AG (AvantGo) set up to sync the entire Babylon5 episode list with descriptions. It was big and I didnít want to keep it in the Visor all the time but wanted to be able to keep it in standby and sync it when and if I wanted it. AG has no option to set up URLís and have all the settings kept there but not used until you want it to. I guess you can say sync only once if that will let the channel stay without syncing it in the future. It just seems such a long way to go about it.

Isilo is much smaller program and storing web site wise. Donít get me wrong I like AG and think it is very nice it just has limitations that Isilo seems to address for me. AG does seem to sync slightly faster though. I think this is due to the ISW (IsiloWeb) program compressing it on the fly.

After I started to really use ISW, I just prefer the control it has on updating what I want and when. If I want to update just one page I donít want to have to go to the AG web page, log in, edit each channel to not sync (if you can), then edit the one I want to always sync,. Then finally sync, and then have to edit every channel to sync like before. I just like more control. With the ISW program I can simply select one or any I want to sync then click one icon and it is done, easy!

I also like the way IsiloWeb saves the files as regular .pdb files in the install directory. I can convert a web page and copy that file from the install directory to a save directory. That way I can actually archive certain pages if I wanted to. Some pages are information that doesnít change much but I may want to only store on the Visor once in awhile. Like my episode list example above; I donít want to have to re-download it every time and can just copy it to the install directory when I want to put it back on the Visor. AG syncs right into the Visor and bypasses the install directory so you have no control this way.

Remember everything is personal preference; I just wanted to make these points for those that are not sure which one is best for them.

Darn. I like everything about iSiloweb and iSiloFree except for the way the latter handles tables. Pendragon is much better here--it actually displays the table instead of rendering it as a list.

[This message has been edited by ragamuffinn (edited 02-05-2000).]