1.    #1  
    i just got a treo 650 and i've of course gone crazy getting programs and whatnot. the 32 meg on-board seems small, but i got the 1 gig SD card so i had space for pictures, music, etc.

i've been told programs can be moved to the SD card without any problem

i did move a couple but once they are on the SD card they can't be given a category and i have to change the category to SD to even see them (don't show up under 'all')

i know there are programs like launcher and zlauncher that people say manage this better (move the program file, plus any db or preference files), but they also seem to have horrific menu systems that i don't want. i just want the clean and simple palm interface, but want to run programs off the sd card (and have them show up in categories!). is that possible without 3rd party, and if i need 3rd party.. what one will do what i want and not force me to use some horrific interface?

i have around 5.8 megs free on the built in memory. is that about average for people who are running a handful of programs?

thanks
    "PowerRun" will let you run items off the SD card, but I don't know if it will
    let you keep thing in the category or not.
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/hackerdud...n/index-e.html
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=15870

I'm using ZLauncher right now, but am reading about PowerRun too. Not sure if I'm ready to switch or not... there are actually some really nice (and clean) themes.

If you are still willing to check out ZLauncher, look at the "Crystal" theme -- very nice, IMO. The only trouble I have w/ it is that the signal strength logo doesn't appear correctly for me. Meh... it shows up in the Phone so big deal.
    Last edited by Hoagie; 12/28/2004 at 10:51 PM.
    I tried Zlauncher and gave up... I could not get it to stop backing up the db's after each use, which meant that it took an extra 5-15 seconds to start or exit a program. I liked that the programs would show up in categories, but I can live without that. Moving the Apps with FileZ does the job nicely... and apps start and end much faster.

I'm back to the default launcher and it still works fine. I have about 10 megs free of RAM, but almost all my programs (except snapper and docs to go for now) are on the card. According to the nvram checker program, I'm wasting about 10-18 megs of space (I've deleted a lot of old contact info since the last calculation) because of the new filesystem... can't wait for the fix )
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by prolix21
    i just got a treo 650 and i've of course gone crazy getting programs and whatnot. the 32 meg on-board seems small, but i got the 1 gig SD card so i had space for pictures, music, etc.

i've been told programs can be moved to the SD card without any problem

i did move a couple but once they are on the SD card they can't be given a category and i have to change the category to SD to even see them (don't show up under 'all')

i know there are programs like launcher and zlauncher that people say manage this better (move the program file, plus any db or preference files), but they also seem to have horrific menu systems that i don't want. i just want the clean and simple palm interface, but want to run programs off the sd card (and have them show up in categories!). is that possible without 3rd party, and if i need 3rd party.. what one will do what i want and not force me to use some horrific interface?

i have around 5.8 megs free on the built in memory. is that about average for people who are running a handful of programs?

thanks
    POWERRUN will do exactly what you want. It doesn't hijack the system like Zlauncher
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    prolix21, you've posted the exact question I wanted to post.

I'd like to see a rundown/comparison of how ZLauncher/LauncherX/PowerRun leverage the SD card.

I did try ZLauncher too, but all those bells-and-whistles (not to mention the multi-second delay when launching and switching apps) turned me off. I want to keep the Palm OS as clean as possible, as close to the original look (I'm not interested in themes) but would like some automatic memory management. Zlauncher, despite the choices of themes, just looked clumsy and inelegant to me. I'd go so far as to call it "overwhelming."

So, what's the most basic memory helper? I've got a 1 GB SD card and would like to use it easily and quickly.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    You can read an excellent review of different launchers over here.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bioart
    According to the nvram checker program, I'm wasting about 10-18 megs of space (I've deleted a lot of old contact info since the last calculation) because of the new filesystem... can't wait for the fix )
    What NVRAM Checker program? I'd appreciate a link.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    No! No! No!

Use PowerRun. PowerRun is so simple than even an ***** can move all his programs into the SD card in 1 minute. Not minutes, but 1 minute! Simple. The program does just that. It works great. It works fast. I love it.

This zlauncher and other launchers do worthless irrelevant things that complicate for no reason...they wanted to historically do all sorts of things because in the old days, many Palms had no SD card, or small SDs, so adding cute features became the thing.

But today, the need to move applications to the SD card is great as SD cards became huge and the applications grew fast.

I am not related to PowerRun in any way. Buy PowerRun and if you are not happy as a pig in mud immediately I'd be shocked.

It freed 10 megabytes for me in 1 minute.
  10.    #10  
    thanks for all the replies, you've all been really helpful

i ran that nvfs checker on mine and it says i'm wasting around 3344773 bytes (20%) of the 13304955 in use

in the big picture i'm not sure if that's a huge deal or not, but i'm assuming at some point we'll get a palm os patch or update that resolves this? i know palms stop-gap was the 128mb cards, but i hope that's not their final fix? obviously the filesystem itself has issues

anyway, as far as launcher/app management i will give powerrun a shot and see if that does what i want