Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been struggling over the past two days to get the bluetooth client integrated in XP SP2 to allow me to both hotsync and share my network conenction without having to reconfigure everything to switch from one to another. Well, I finally figured it out and I thought I would share my experieinces and hopefully save someone else the trouble I had.

The problem I was having was that if I configured one COM port for sharing out my network as an incoming connection, and a second one as a plain serial port for hotsyncing, the phone seemed to have trouble determining which port to conenct to. If I could hotsync then I couldn't connect to the network. If could conenct to the network, then I couldn't hotsync. I think this is a limitation of the hotsync connection that gets configured on the phone.

Then I had an appifany. If I have a network connection between my Treo and my computer over the serial port, can't I just hotsync over that network connection? YES YOU CAN!

Although this may appear to be a lengthy process, it is possible to use one serial port to both hotsync and share your internet access with the bluetooth client included in SP2. The are three main advantages of this over the 3rd party software that comes with most Bluetooth adapters (WIDCOMM?)

1) The bluetooth client included with XP SP2 seems to be more dependable
    2) No user has to be logged in to the PC inorder for you to access the internet connection.
    3) It appears that most adapters that are compatible with it will require no drivers or software. So using the client built in to SP2 you don't have to lug the software/drivers with you when you go somewhere you could use it. If they don't have SP2, then you may have to talk them into it. (You can disable the firewall you know?)

It's really not all that hard, especially if you've ever configured your Treo to sync with your PC over an internet connection. (It's even easier because you don't have to mess with the ports on the internet router etc.)

Here's what you need.
    1) Windows XP SP2
    2) A bluetooth adapter that will install as a Bluetooth radio under device manager (Not a Bluetooth device)
    3) A little bit of general networking knowledge
    4) You need to know how to sync your Treo with your PC over an internet/network conenction.

NOTE: If your bluetooth adapter installs as a Bluetooth device under device manager you may be able to load alternate drivers to make it show up as a Bluetooth Radio. My Belkin adapter installs as radio by default, but if you go to update the driver and show all compatible drivers it will install as a Bluetooth Device as well. The BLuetooth device driver is required for the software that came with the adapter for non SP2 systems.

So anyway, if you have SP2 and a compatible adapter then once you install the adapter drivers you will see a bluetooth icon in control panel and system tray.

If you have this icon then the general steps are:

1) On your Treo 650 bluetooth manager choose to setup a new hotsync connection to your PC. Pair it, make the PC COM port, sync it... you know.. all that stuff it tells you to do.

2) Right click on your hotsync icon and disable the "local" connection that you just enabled in the previous step.

3) Go to control panel -> Phone and Modem options -> Modems: and manually add (do not auto detect) a Standard Modem Types -> Communications cable between two computers and select the COM port you just added via the Bluetooth software.

4) Reboot. (This step isn't always necessary, but it seems that is needed more often than it isn't.)

5) Go to control panel -> Network connections and click on "Create new conenction" in the left pane.

6) Choose to make an advanced conenction

7) Accept incoming connections

8) Choose the cable connection you made in step 2

9) Do not allow virtual private connections (probably doesn't matter)

10) Don't check any of the users (This will allow ALL users. Since you have to manually set up the bluetooth paired device anyway this shouldn't cause any security issues)

11) On the next screen make sure that TCP/IP is seleted and then click the properties button.

12) Make sure that the "Allow callers to access my local area network" check box is checked then click OK.

13) You should now be back in the new conenction wizard, click next and then finish.

14) Now you should see an "Incoming Connections" icon in your network connections view. Right click this icon and choose properties.

15) Click on the users tab and make sure that the check box at the bottom labeled "Always allow directly connected devices such as palmtop computers to connect without providing a password." is checked. Now click the OK button.

16) Now on your Treo 650 go to preference -> Network and create a new service using the bluetooth connection to you PC that you configured in step 3.

17) On this new service, choose modify -> details -> advanced -> script and enter

Send: CLIENT
    Send: CLIENT
    Wait For: CLIENTSERVER
    End:

(This is neccessary for the Windows XP PPP connection that you'll be using)

18) Now click ok to back all the way out of the details and give the new service a logical name ("BT Network" for example).

At this point you should be able to connect to your PCs network and access any internet connection your PC has available using versamail or some browser other than Blazer. I don't think you even need Internet Connection Sharing enabled for this to work. (Can someone else verify this for me?)

19) Now that you have a Bluetooth network between your phone and your computer you can configure your hotsync software (on the PC and the Treo) to hotsync over a network connection asusual, except the network connection will be the Bluetooth service you configured in steps 16-18 ("BT Network" was the example I used.)

NOTE: When you configure your network sync settings, choose your PC's INTERNAL IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx), not it's internet address. I found that this changed to anohter address used by the incomming connection at one point, so you may want to double check this setting on the PC while the phone is conencted to the bluetooth network conenction to make sure it's the right one.

I know the details in the first and last step are a little vague, but I hope all of this will still be helpful. Right now I just don't have the time to explain all the steps of determining your internal IP address or how to configure the hotsync software on your Treo to a network hotsync over a modem/internet connection. That's why I listed that "knowledge" as something you needed at the begining of this post.

If I get enough replies requesting more information I'll try to add them tomorrow night sometime.

Until then, enjoy!

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 12/28/2004 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Changed title
    how about instructions for sync via internet without blue tooth on win xp pro
    Treoing & Loving it
    Your instructions were exceptionally clear, Tech Dude.. PLEASE update them to include finding the local IP and configuring the Treo to hotsynch via internet. I never attempted this before, since I always assumed I needed a static IP (I have DHCP).

I've always appreciated your contributions to these forums.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the kind words neill. I'm probably not going to get those instuctions ready as soon as I thought I could. I've determined that a problem I was having using this configuration may not be limited to my network configuration. It seems that there may be some MTU setting somewhere in Windows that is preventing me from browsing most web sites via PPP over a direct cable connection.

First I thought it was something to do with the bluetooth adapter/treo compatibility, but then I got a second bluetooth adapter and connect two PCs together using the same configuration and had the same problem.

The problem is that I can browse google, but that's about it. I can bring up the text from www.cnn.com (mobile version?) and then it bails out. Seems like it has a problem with any site that tries to transmit more than 60 MTU packets. However, if you use the WIDCOMM software to connect the Treo through a bluetooth network connection instead of a serial PPP connection, you have no problems. I've tried all the registry keys I know of to change MTU on my nics, routers, server and PPP connections in Windows but still no joy.

Does anyone else know anything about this? (Sharing an internet connection over a direct cable connection in Windows XP SP2?)

Sorry for not getting those instructiosn to you yesterday, but I'd really like to be able to post a fix to this problem before I go into any more detail about how to do it. (After all, what's the point if it doesn't work right?)

--TechDude
  5.    #5  
    Well, as I suspected it was an MTU problem. I think it is the same problem documented in Microsoft Knowledge base article #319661, entitled "Connectivity Problems on ICS Clients When You Use a PPPoE Connection on a Windows XP ICS Host."

According to that article this problem was fixed in Windows XP SP1. I found that to be an invalid statement because I had SP2 installed (and SP1 prior to that) and the problem still existed. Further research revealed that the MTU registry value that overrides the updates from SP1 & SP2 was still present on my system. There was also s different registry value that may have been needed and was not present at all.

But anyway... instead of telling you all the gory details I'm just going to give you some llinks to the pages I used and tell you how I resolved the problem.

First you may want to verify that you are having the same problem I was having. If you're having similar symptoms, read on. (CAUTION: This will require you to make changes to your registry. If you don't know how to do that, I'M NOT TELLING YOU! I'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't know how to do it then you could mess up your system trying, and I don't want to be responsible.)

The problem is that your Windows XP system that is hosting the connection is trying to send packets to your Treo that are too large for the connection. To fix this problem you need to do three things.

1) You need to let Windows XP automatically determine the correct MTU for your internet connection. You do this by adding the EnablePMTUDiscovery registry value.

2) You need to remove the static MTU registry value for the network card your internet conenction comes in on. When you start looking for it, you'll probably wonder how to determine which one of those long numbers refers to your network card. There are two answers. You could just remove the MTU value from all the cards listed (That's what I did and it seems to work fine), or you can look for a card listed with the same IP address as the network card you're trying to find.

3) You need to reset the Maximum MTU for PPP connections to 1500. This value may already be at 1500. According to Microsoft it's supposed to be fixed to 1500, but I found mine at 1300. I simply deleted the registry value and that worked fine. (Although it did not recreate the value as I expected it to.)

Now reboot your system and you should be able to browse whatever web page you want through your bluetooth PPP connection. (Works great if you can remove the Blazer proxy)
    I hope this helps someone other than me somewhere down the line. Let me know if you have any questions or if I left anything out.

--TechDude
    Tech Dude. I have got the network access working through bluetooth on my 650. I unlocked Blazer and I am able to surf the web no prob. BUT, I can not hotsync via BT now. I have tried 10 differnt settings and all for not.

Can you please add how to complete the loop by setting up hotsync via BT and netwrok access on a single port to your orginal instructions at the start of this thread. Your instuctions to do the first half were crystal clear so I am sure you can help us with the second half.

Thanks and Thanks in advance.
  7.    #7  
    I decided to start my own knowledgebase (not even sure if that's the right word... ) and make syncing throuhg an internet connection my first article.

I'm still working on the web page layout and such, but the content is there. Tell me what you think.

David's Knowledge Base Article #1

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 04/07/2005 at 06:14 PM.
    Thank you TechDude! I was tired when I first read your Knowledge Base Article #1 and didn't realize I could click on a section for more info. Later, I learned about that feature and was able to get my 650 to hotsync AND use the internet connection.

Thanks again,

KevinK
    Does anyone know how to make this work wth the user switching feature of Windows XP? If I set things up as directed in the original post, I can access the high-speed internet via my Treo just fine. However, if my wife logs on to HER desktop, the connection sharing thingy stops working. A caption pops up above the Bluetooth network icon in the system tray and says "cable disconnected". Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks

KevinK
  10.    #10  
    Weird. Are you using the WIDCOMM software? I'm using the XP SP2 client and I can access the internet throgh bluetooth even when NO ONE is logged in. So I would have thought it would work no matter what user is logged in.

WIDCOMM software on the other hand is dependant on a software application, not a service like the XP SP2 client. Since the software must be running, it requires smeone to be logged in. I assume that it also saves settings on a per user basis, but I haven'te tested that. If it does, then you would probably have to configure the phone with the computer for each user.

I'm guessing that you're not using the WIDCOMM software, so sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

--TechDude
    After searching through the registry, I am using the Widcomm software. My BT adapter is a Linksys USBBT100.

I think that if I can somehow get BTSTACKSERVER.EXE to run as a service and not on a per-user basis, I might be able to make this thing work.

Thanks again for the info on setting up the BT PC to Treo network.

KevinK

Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    Weird. Are you using the WIDCOMM software? I'm using the XP SP2 client and I can access the internet throgh bluetooth even when NO ONE is logged in. So I would have thought it would work no matter what user is logged in.

WIDCOMM software on the other hand is dependant on a software application, not a service like the XP SP2 client. Since the software must be running, it requires smeone to be logged in. I assume that it also saves settings on a per user basis, but I haven'te tested that. If it does, then you would probably have to configure the phone with the computer for each user.

I'm guessing that you're not using the WIDCOMM software, so sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

--TechDude
  12.    #12  
    I've setup a few things to run as a service in the past. But recently I've found a better way.

You can use scheduled task under control panel to shcedule a program to run at startup. When it ask for a user name to run the task under, choose "SYSTEM" with no password. This will cause the program to run under the system account so that it doesn't depend on a certain user.

It doesn't always work because some programs will require interaction with the system tray etc. But most will work fine as long as you can find the registry keys that the program uses in your user registry and then copy them to to either the equivilant HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive, or the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT hive.

I've had more success with the default user hive because if the program will work with the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive, then it's not usually user based settings in the first place. The .DEFAULT registry key seems to be what the system uses for user settings.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. And let us all know how it turns out. I'm sure that at least a few other people out there will want to do the same thing eventually.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 01/29/2005 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Completely messed up a few sentences...
    Argh! I think I'm going to return this stupid Linksys adapter and get one that likes to be used with a Bluetooh network.

Do you know of some brands of USB to Bluetooh adapters that use the windows drivers and/or work well with a LAN? Preferably a Class 1 (100 feet range) device.

Thanks,

KevinK

Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    I've setup a few things to run as a service in the past. But recently I've found a better way.

You can use scheduled task under control panel to shcedule a program to run at startup. When it ask for a user name to run the task under, choose "SYSTEM" with no password. This will cause the program to run under the system account so that it doesn't depend on a certain user.

It doesn't always work because some programs will require interaction with the system tray etc. But most will work fine as long as you can find the registry keys that the program uses in your user registry and then copy them to to either the equivilant HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive, or the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT hive.

I've had more success with the default user hive because if the program will work with the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive, then it's not usually user based settings in the first place. The .DEFAULT registry key seems to be what the system uses for user settings.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. And let us all know how it turns out. I'm sure that at least a few other people out there will want to do the same thing eventually.

--TechDude
  14.    #14  
    I'm using Belkin's latest USB Bluetooth adapter and it works great with Windows XP SP2. However, the Windows XP SP2 bluetooth client does not have Bluetooth LAN support. You must share your internet connection through the COM port method described in this thread.

The WIDCOMM software actually has an advantage here because it supports every Bluetooth profile I've ever heard of. (Including the LAN access) Using it to share your LAN access is actually easier than doing all of this COM port syncing etc, and I bet it's a little faster. Unfortunately it requires someone to be logged into the system and have the program configured under that user's account. That's not a big issue to many users though. I just don't like installing unnecessary software on my system.

Not that I love Microsoft, but they did make the OS, so I just feel more comfortable using something they made or built into the OS. Although it's not always true, it seems that they would make products that will work better with their OS than a third party. And they should be able to resolve any problems that arise between the product and the OS faster than a third party simply because they have access to all of the code involved.

I'd also like to mention that I've heard several uysers here praising the Linksys BT adapter stating that it is getting them an un heard of 1,000 foot range. So if that kind of distance is important to you, I would try to stick with it. My Belkin adapter works great for me because I primarily use the Treo in the same room that the computer is in. But if I go around the conner or behind a wall to another room I can just hang it up. No signal whatsover. The Linksys is reported to have much better signal strength.

--TechDude
    Tech Dude,

I've followed your original instructions in detail but I still seem to be having a problem.

I can successfully connect my Treo to my PC via my Blutooth adapter, but it doesn't appear that I can access my internet connection (trying to access email via Snappermail).

BTW, my PC is connected to a router.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Don
  16.    #16  
    Sorry for not responding to you sooner Ovation2. I must have missed the notification of your reply. Still having problems?
  17.    #17  
    FYI. The location of my knowledge base article has changed. Click here to go to the new page. (I also updated the original post.)

--TechDude
    Well, I've followed TechDude's instructions to the letter. Whenever I try to connect, the Treo 650 displays "Signing on" in the "Service Connection Progress" window, but nothing else happens - the message just stays on the Treo's screen. Meanwhile, on the PC, the bluetooth system tray icon becomes blue and green, and shows the popup window "Bluetooth Connection Successful, Bluetooth device is connected to "Dial-up Networking" Within "Network Connections", the "Incoming Connections" remains in the "No clients connected" state.

Hmm...what am I doing wrong? Help!
  19.    #19  
    If the bluetooth icon in your system tray turns green then you are most likely using the WIDCOMM software/drivers. The SP2 bluetooth client does not do this.

Can anyone else help him out here? I don't have the WIDCOMM software to know exactly where the difference would be in the line of instructions.

Also, if you're using the WIDCOMM software and you don't have multiple Windows users setup on the XP system or anything, then you may just try using the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Network option. Its deffinitely the faster option, I just don't like having third party software/drivers on my PC when I can avoid it.

(By the way, I love the avitar)

--TechDude
    After reading some of your postings, I am convinced that you might be able to help me. Do you have any knowldege of Bluetooth connectivity between a Treo 650 and a 2006 Lexus GS 300?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast