1.    #1  
    I'm thinking of upgrading to a 650. I curently use the phone for Vision on Ssprint and email through Eudora in addition to a phone (of course) and PDA. It seems the 650 would be a vast improvement (especially the screen). Are there any drawbacks (besides capital investment) before I take the plunge?
    I have been a Kyocera 6035, Samsung I-300, Samsung I-330, Treo 600, and now a Treo 650 user. I have enjoyed each phone, and also enjoyed the advancements in each model...go for it!
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    I had the I300 and I330.... no comparison... or drawbacks that I can think of....

I loved the I300.... I had it the day it came out, and started www.sphi300.com back then.... but that was then, and this now.... the T650 is great....
    I had the i300 and the i330 before my T600.

I loved the size and shape of the i330. It was just damn sexy.

But they don't hold a candle to the T600. I'm anxiously awaiting my T650 from Vienna Channels.
    I had the I300, then the Treo 300, Treo 600 and now the 650, and there is no comparison.

If there was anything I missed in the move from Samsung, it was the lack of the built-in voice memo / voice dial. These were both great items, as well as frustrating on the I300 (and I would suspect the I330 too). The reason I found them frustrating is when I had to do a hard reset on my I300 (which would be monthly for one reason or another), I would lose everything in these modules, as they don't get backed up through hotsync.

The Treo now has third party solutions for both of these applications. Although I am not pleased to have to pay for them, I do like the idea that the data gets backed up, and I don't lose my voice notes anymore.

(Oh, yeah, I was also active on Fiske's www.sphi300.com. Thanks Fiske!)
    I also had the I-330, and first of all, I now have people complaining about the sound quality on their end, and I do have the sound quality patch. Of course this is not an official patch from Palm One, so hopefully this will be addressed soon. When I got my I-330 it had an echo problem, and they fixed that with a patch soon after I got it. With that said, I am at this time being careful where I use my phone (noisy environments are bad), and will keep it.

The screen is unbelievable!!! For pictures, or video, this thing rocks! It is also great for any text based apps, and on the web, as you can have the fonts smaller, and still read them, if you have good eyes.

I used to always put my I-330 face down on the table since it has that ridge around the outside that keeps it from setting on the keys. Don't do this with your 650, you will ware the chrome off the 5-way center key.

The 650 definitely feels like a more fragile device, but I haven't dropped it to find out yet. I have heard of several others that have, and most say it survived well. My I-330 was like a tank, I dropped it several times on concrete, and twice a couple buttons came part way out, and I pushed them back in, and it worked fine.

Did I mention the screen looks great? I have attached a picture that really doesn't do it justice, showing the 650, and I-330 with the same picture on them. I now see that my I-330 screen was actually yellow, it couldn't produce white anymore. Everyone that sees my phone is amazed with the screen.

The keyboard took a little getting used to, but now that I'm used to it, I don't ever want to go back to using graffiti.

I bought a BlueTooth headset before reading reviews, and I didn't like it, so I returned it. I have now read the reviews in the BlueTooth section of this forum, and just ordered the Sony Ericsson HBH-660. It will be great to just leave my phone in my pocket while I'm driving and still be able to answer it. I'm also hoping this might help with the sound quality issue in noisy environments.

The faster processor is nice in some applications, but the NVFS memory slows down other things.

The thing I am the happiest about is that their are so many people passionate about this phone, that new apps. are written almost every week to rid of the 650's few shortcomings.

I will also say, go for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by Fikse
    I loved the I300.... I had it the day it came out, and started www.sphi300.com back then.... but that was then, and this now.... the T650 is great....
    What a great site! I spent a lot of time on there with my i300.

The i300 for its time was awesome. You could absolutely beat on that thing and it would never miss a beat.

That URL goes to pdaphonehome now right?

Classic site!

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    The thing I am the happiest about is that their are so many people passionate about this phone, that new apps. are written almost every week to rid of the 650's few shortcomings.
    You are right. TC is the Treo biggest asset by far. I wouldent even trade the 320x320 for it!

Every time I consider jumping ship, it is usually TC and the fact that you can kill so much time on it (even on your mobile itself) that presuades me back.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    ahhhh...I had the Samsung I300. Loved it!!! Only thing was that it was a 2G phone but it wa my first Phone/PDA device and I never turned back. The next was the treo 300 then 600..and now the 650!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I went i300->i330->T600->T650. Each move was a huge step forward, in my opinion.

-Brian
  11.    #11  
    Yes, the I330 is like a tank!

Based on what I've read so far the only thing I "think" I might miss is the Graffiti.

Can I use Eudora mail like on the I330 or do I have to use the stock email prog? I presuem I would use Blazer over the Eurodaweb I use now?
    I still use my I330 as my everyday phone (waiting on the GSM 650). Its reputation as darn near indestructible is well-deserved. Mine has been brutalized and it keeps on ticking. I've gotta tell you I love the thing, and the only thing that is really getting me to switch to a Treo is bluetooth, a faster processor, and an SD slot (don't even need SDIO, I just want to listen to mp3s.) Put those in an I330, even with the crappy screen, no camera, etc., and there's no doubt I'd stick w/ Samsung. I'm a die-hard, so you can have my grafitti when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Almost everything worked on this phone out of the box. Web, e-mail and voice dial were a snap to set-up and they still work fine. I have the installed car kit and it works perfectly with voice dial. The experiences of Treo users with this and other issues makes me cringe. 3rd-party apps? ROM hacks? WTF?

Wait, why am I switching to a Treo again?
    I did the I300, then the Palm Tungsten W, and then the T600 (still waiting on a good eBay auction before going to the T650). While the Tungsten W wasn't necessarily a huge leap forward (only thing it had was hi-res), I've thoroughly enjoyed the T600 -- so much so I got my wife one (she currently uses the T300, hinge broke).

It's BECAUSE of the experiences of Treo users here that you should make the plunge...you'll have 10 folks telling you how to overcome any shortcomings that crop up. The T600 is a great device (can't speak for the T650, but I will be able to someday soon hopefully...).
    One thing I could do with my 330 that the 650 will not do, is when I am done doing something on the phone I like to have it in phone mode, then key guard, then shut the screen off. with the 330 it would lag behiend my button presses, but it would remember them, and catch up, and turn off.

With the 650 I thought I wouldn't have that delay between button preses, but I do, and the bad thing is that it doesn't remember the button preses. I think I will try something different now, I will not go to phone mode before shutting off the display, since it goes into key gard no mater what when you turn it off. Then the green phone button will turn it on, and take me to the phone app. (with a slight delay) I need to get out of the habit of pressing the red phone button to turn on the display anyway, since I have accidently pressed it a couple times in a call after the screen has gone off, and just disconect my call.

Sorry for those that don't have the phone and can't follow along.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Yes, I had an i330, upgraded to a treo 600, loved it, now have a 650, and love it.