1.    #1  
    It seems once a day, my Treo 650 soft resets (either out of the blue or during HotSync) and I lose the preferences.

I don't seem to lose data, but the preferences are gone (Datbk5 gets replaced with Palm datebook, sounds turn on again...everything goes back to its default, even though my data is intact). I'm not sure if this is defined as an actual "crash". Seems more like a "preference crash.

Help...
    Sorry my reply won't be of much help, but I just wanted to let you know that it wasn't just you that this is happening to... I have had this happen a half a dozen times in the past few weeks. No known reason to my knowledge. Just waiting on a fix from Palm... sucks... I just keep a current backup of the saved preferences file now at all times and restore as necessary.... Good Luck amd be sure to post if you find a fix.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
  3.    #3  
    I have been restoring the whole device from backupman when this happens. Is it simply the "saved preferences" file that I need to restore?
    What apps do you have on your 650? there are several programs that are known to cause soft resets such as Butler.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for asking...

Zlauncher
    Thoughtmanager
    Snapper
    Datebk5
    Crypbox (password storage program)
    Smartlist
    may I ask.. The data that you are trying to transfer to the Treo 650 does it come from another palm handheld device?
  7.    #7  
    My first hotsync (three weeks ago) was from a Tungten T. I also hotsync to two compouters (home and work). 95% of the time I am ok but I get that "preference loss" about 1 out of 20 times and sometimes not even with a hotsync.
    are you syncing with the same username both with the tungsten T and the Treo 650?
    are you still gonna use your tungsten T?....
  10.    #10  
    Same user name. No---no longer use the Tungsten T.