1.    #1  
    I have been searching the forums for about an hour and am even more confused, so I thought I would post my exact question.

I have a Cingular SIM, that worked fine in my iMAte PDA2K. I could use the network selection menu and manually select the network I wanted.

I bought a new Treo600 off eBay that said it is unlocked. It has Firmware version 03.05 and Software version Treo600-1.13-AWS.

The first time I powered it up, it has an ATT splash screen. After I did a sync with my old Treo600 apps from when I had a Sprint Treo600, the splash screen now shows the Sprint screen, but that is all that appears to have changed. For reading other posts, that slash screen can really be anything.

So, my question are:
    1. Is my phone really unlocked?
    2. Does the abiltiy to use a Cing SIM in an ATT phone mean it is unlocked?
    3. Is there a way to get the network selection menu by loading another firmware or something?

I have moved back to the Treo after a 3 month "vacation" with a PPC device. I like the Treo so much better.

Thanks in advance.
    Carl
    If you're able to use a Cingular SIM in the AT&T phone, it's unlocked. If you're able to call out, then you're good.

As for being able to use the Network Selection menu, it's SIM-based. Perhaps the PPC device wasn't looking at whether it should be allowed or not on the SIM when allowing you to change the network. The later revisions of the T600 GSM firmware are a lot more strict.

How old is the Cingular SIM? Cingular stopped allowing Network Selection on its SIMs a while ago.

(as for just syncing over your old Sprint T600 stuff to Cingular -- I did that and it worked fine. However there was a bunch of cruft left over from apps I deleted a while ago. By starting from scratch, I got about a meg back in memory!)
    I second that answer. I have a Treo 600 P1 GSM. I use Cingular and I DO have the ability to select network but leave it on automatic. My Sim card is probably old as I can remember only changing it once in my many years with PACBELL/SBC/Cing Why would you want a selection of anything other than automatic?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    If you're able to use a Cingular SIM in the AT&T phone, it's unlocked. If you're able to call out, then you're good.

As for being able to use the Network Selection menu, it's SIM-based. Perhaps the PPC device wasn't looking at whether it should be allowed or not on the SIM when allowing you to change the network. The later revisions of the T600 GSM firmware are a lot more strict.

How old is the Cingular SIM? Cingular stopped allowing Network Selection on its SIMs a while ago.

(as for just syncing over your old Sprint T600 stuff to Cingular -- I did that and it worked fine. However there was a bunch of cruft left over from apps I deleted a while ago. By starting from scratch, I got about a meg back in memory!)
    I'm not challenged for memory right now, so that is not a big deal. So I guess I am stuck. Is there a patch that can tell the Treo NOT to look at my SIM to see if network selection is allowed? Everthing else appears to be working just fine. Only problem is with network selection.
    Carl
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I second that answer. I have a Treo 600 P1 GSM. I use Cingular and I DO have the ability to select network but leave it on automatic. My Sim card is probably old as I can remember only changing it once in my many years with PACBELL/SBC/Cing Why would you want a selection of anything other than automatic?
    My SIM is only about 3 months old, so I am sure that is it. Beside liking to be able to see what carrier provides service in the area, I find sometimes that even though ATT/Blue (1900) has a better signal, I get a better call on the Orange 850. Much less garbled. I do leave it on auto most of the time, but like the option to select.

Thanks for your reply.
    Carl