Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Found a lot of info on different externals for the 600 but nothing on the 650. I need to pick up a "extended" text entry solution. What external keyboards are working with the Treo 650? Palm wireless IR? Targus universal IR ? Thinkoutside bluetooth? Any ideas?
    I've been using the Palm One Univeral wireless keyboard for a year. First with the 600 and now with the 650. It installs easily and works flawlessly. The only consideration that you need to account for is that, when the IR Keyboard is enabled, your beam receive will remain "off".

If you use your beam feature frequently, you will need to manually enable the keyboard each time you use it.

I love...LOVE...this keyboard, as it enables me to take quick and easy notes during meetings and I use it frequently while chatting with Verichat.

K
    A Bluetooth keyboard will NOT work with the 650 since it does not have the necessary HID profile.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    The only consideration that you need to account for is that, when the IR Keyboard is enabled, your beam receive will remain "off".
    I cannot seem to get this keyboard to work with my 650. Typing rarely produces any characters, and when it does they are gibberish. Also, I find that if I turn beam receive off, I cannot activate the keyboard driver. Do you manually turn off beam receive, or is it just that beam receive doesn't work when the driver is set to "on"?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    A Bluetooth keyboard will NOT work with the 650 since it does not have the necessary HID profile.
    What is an HID profile?
    curtiscarmack,
    You shouldn't have to turn off beaming to activate the keyboard. That should happen automatically when you turn on the keyboard driver. The driver takes over the serial port and will disable beaming and normal hotsyncing.
    thomasanderson,
    An HID profile has to do with which protocols are enabled in bluetooth--headsets, hotsyncing, etc. There is an driver on the ThinkOutside site for their bluetooth keyboard that should work with the 650.
    Zane
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'm posting from my Universal Wireless right now. It really is awesome, especially banging out notes, email and chat.

Have you updated to the latest driver from the P1 site? I had 1.0 on the CD and there was 1.05 on the website.

Another dumb question, did you install the keyboard utility to internal memory (not SD)?

There should be a utility for you to configure the timeout settings and repeat rate and such.

This thing works great and I have gained so much productivity...totally love it.
    I use a ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard with my Treo 650. I have had it for about a week. It seems to work fine. I have typed several long messages with it. The manufacturer has a driver that is listed as beta. It hasn't blown up on me.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Do you all talk about the "Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard"?
    How does the "Palm Wireless Keyboard" function on the 650?

I wonder because I have purcased the Palm Wireless Keyboard for use with my TT3, and wonder if it is possible to use it on a Treo650....
    Last edited by jorang; 02/14/2005 at 05:23 AM.
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)

Are you sure ?
    How about this one?

http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/?an=google

I am thinking of buying one of these and T 650 is listed as one of the compatible device with bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Are you sure ?
    How about this one?

http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/?an=google

I am thinking of buying one of these and T 650 is listed as one of the compatible device with bluetooth.
    It's tempting! There's a review of the keyboardless keyboard in today's New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/03/te...ts/03keyb.html

--Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Do you all talk about the "Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard"?
    How does the "Palm Wireless Keyboard" function on the 650?

I have the same question: Will the older "palm wireless keyboard" work with the T650?
    Quote Originally Posted by ojleblanc
    I have the same question: Will the older "palm wireless keyboard" work with the T650?
    I had the same question, unfortunately I seem to have come up with an answer in the negative. I can't seem to get the keyboard, which really worked nicely with my Zire, to recognize the Treo. & since the most recent driver file on the PalmOne site is dated 12/03 I kind of doubt it's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield
    the most recent driver file on the PalmOne site is dated 12/03
    This Universal Wireless Keyboard by palmOne Driver is dated 12/13/2004 and is reported to work well with the 650.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    The virtual keyboard is clever engineering, but I think the lack of ANY tactile feedback is a real problem. You'll have to LOOK at the keyboard to see what letter you're 'clicking,' which will make touch typing impossible. On top of that, you'll need a clear, flat surface to type on.. Can't use it on your lap on the bus or subway.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I have a Belkin keyboard and it works great with the 650.

YES IT DOES WORK!!!!!

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7517

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I received the Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard last week from Amazon. I'm very happy with it so far - it works great on my 650.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Just to clarify - my keyboard is the newer version.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    This Universal Wireless Keyboard by palmOne Driver is dated 12/13/2004 and is reported to work well with the 650.
    but i am unable to get it working with the *regular* (as opposed to the *Universal") Wireless Keyboard. unless you're saying that you know that it will.

i'm actually still not sure that it won't. i remember even when i used this keyboard with the Zire it tended to be a little quirky, and dependent on hitting the right combination of switches and tick-marks. but the universal driver didn't work today, either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast