Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I taught my BVDx a new trick last night and hooked it up to AvantGo, and wow am I ever impressed! Back when I was using my Palm V (my very first PDA) I had heard about AvantGo, but because of the 2MB memory limitation, decided not to use it.

    Now, with the 8MB in the VDx, burning up almost a MB of memory is no big deal, and I must say that I'm impressed with both the quantity and quality of information that the AvantGo service provides. Now I can simply HotSynch once or twice a day and have all the news I want right there on my Visor! For any other users contemplating installing/using AvantGo, I highly reccommend it.

    Any tips/tricks that anyone would like to share regarding using this way cool application would be much appreciated.
  2. #2  
    My favorites are MapBlast and MapQuest, especially for driving directions.

    When you enter the start/end addresses and click "get directions" or whatever, and it tells you your request has been submitted. Next time you hotsync, you'll get the map/directions you asked for. What's not obvious (at least it wasn't to me) is that the results don't show up in MapBlast or MapQuest, but in the AvantGo's "Forms Manager".

    Open AvantGo on your Visor, click the menu screen button and select "Forms Manager" or do a "/M", go to the bottom of the list and tap "result". Now you'll see your map/directions.

    Enjoy!
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by PDAENVY:
    What's not obvious (at least it wasn't to me) is that the results don't show up in MapBlast or MapQuest, but in the AvantGo's "Forms Manager".
    So that is where the results are stored, I thought that there was something wrong with the software!
  4. #4  
    PDA ENVY and VisorHead!

    Damn, that's it. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Thanks!

    Mike
    p.s. why is this so unintuitive of AvantGo???
  5. #5  
    dequardo,

    It took me a couple of days to find where they are stored, and I too thought it was a stupid way to store them.

    But on further review I like it because you can get more than one direction and keep them around.

    Unlike the weather channel where, as far as I can tell, you can only get weather from one place.

    Felipe
  6. #6  
    I just want to test my understanding of MapBlast. I tried it and had to do the hotsync thing to get the next map. I stopped using it because I figured this was designed for a Palm VII where you have a direct web connection.

    Are you saying that each of the maps I get (all the drill downs and detail) are stored?
  7. #7  
    Yes they are stored in the 'forms manager' section. Find it off the menu of the main AvantGo screen.

    Mike
  8. #8  
    Actually my reply is for forms in general. I also do not understand how MapBlast is supposed to work to access maps. MapQuest does work though.

    Mike
  9.    #9  
    I was able to use the MapBlast and MapQuest features last week while on a business trip in Buffalo, NY (yes, it was freezing, seeing as how I am a Floridian).

    My co-worker and I had to drive to Rochester, about an hour away, and had absolutely no idea of where we were going. After a few miscues, I was able to get the exact driving directions from where I was to where I needed to go. I just found it so cool that I could call that information up on my BVDx without having to print out a map from the Web, etc, etc.

    In addition to the directions, the map itself helped put everything into better perspective. I was quite impressed with the level of detail and accuracy of the driving directions. We had several complex intersections to traverse, but the directions were *right* on the money.

    Two thumbs up for both of these features and AvantGo! in general!

    [This message has been edited by Rathenn (edited 02-03-2000).]
  10. #10  
    how did you do that???
    I used the mapblast to try to download the map. Instead of entering start/end address. I just enter one address under the "map and business directory" I figure it will give me the map around that entire area. After I download into my PDA. I didn't find it under the "form manager" it actually has link directly under the avantgo.com (with all other link, such as USA today). I then click on it (I name it home) I get a map, underneath it, it says "zoom in and zoom out" I then click on it where it says "this page is not available on this device" ????
    how is this program conveniet?? do you have to download all the zoom in and zoom out pages into your PDA? Let's say if I am going to chicago for vacation, what if I don't know where I am going yet, but jus want a copy of chicago's downtown map with me, can I download that????????
    Please help me with this, thanks .

    Originally posted by Rathenn:
    I was able to use the MapBlast and MapQuest features last week while on a business trip in Buffalo, NY (yes, it was freezing, seeing as how I am a Floridian).

    My co-worker and I had to drive to Rochester, about an hour away, and had absolutely no idea of where we were going. After a few miscues, I was able to get the exact driving directions from where I was to where I needed to go. I just found it so cool that I could call that information up on my BVDx without having to print out a map from the Web, etc, etc.

    In addition to the directions, the map itself helped put everything into better perspective. I was quite impressed with the level of detail and accuracy of the driving directions. We had several complex intersections to traverse, but the directions were *right* on the money.

    Two thumbs up for both of these features and AvantGo! in general!

    [This message has been edited by Rathenn (edited 02-03-2000).]
  11. #11  
    ginachiang
    I too found both MapBlast and MapQuest useless for anything other than route planning. If you're looking for a mapping program that has dynamic maps that let you zoom in and out on the device itself, you'll have to look at programs like HandMap, StreetFinder or StreetSigns. I bought StreetFinder and think it's a good program but the Palm software has it's share of bugs and tech support has been very unresponsive. IMO, it has the highest quality maps compared to the other two I mentioned, but you pay the price in memory.

    StreetFinder is from Rand McNally and lists for $49 but currently has a $20 mail in rebate. I also saw StreetSigns bundled with SkyMap at CompUSA for $30 after mail in rebate also.
  12. #12  
    so the program street finder will store all map in your palm?? or you have to preload in palm before you leave. Let's say I am going to chicago tomorrow, then do I take out my cd and click on chicago to download the entire city of chicago into my palm? Can you please tell me who does it work? Let's say after I download the city of chicago's map into my palm. Does it has the ability to let me call out any street??
    thank you for helping me out here


    Originally posted by bregent1:
    ginachiang
    I too found both MapBlast and MapQuest useless for anything other than route planning. If you're looking for a mapping program that has dynamic maps that let you zoom in and out on the device itself, you'll have to look at programs like HandMap, StreetFinder or StreetSigns. I bought StreetFinder and think it's a good program but the Palm software has it's share of bugs and tech support has been very unresponsive. IMO, it has the highest quality maps compared to the other two I mentioned, but you pay the price in memory.

    StreetFinder is from Rand McNally and lists for $49 but currently has a $20 mail in rebate. I also saw StreetSigns bundled with SkyMap at CompUSA for $30 after mail in rebate also.
  13. #13  
    Gina..
    I also have StreetFinder Deluxe and like it.
    You view and build your map (with desired details) on the PC app then download it to your PDA from that. One map at a time tjhough you can load multiple maps to your PDA. Works quite well. Unfortunately not as intuitive as MS Pocket Streets (one of the only shining points of MS CE)

    mike
  14. #14  
    gina,

    In addition to what Mike said, you have the ability to load as many maps as you want limited by how much memory you have. A map of downtown Chicago is roughly 250K, and will jump to about 600K if you load all of the available Hotel, Restaurant, and other optional points of interest. And yes, it does provide detail to street level and allows you to locate streets and points of interest by several different methods. You can download a free demo from:
    http://www.randmcnally.com/

    Also check out free demo's of handmap and StreetSigns both available at palmgear.com

    [This message has been edited by bregent1 (edited 02-04-2000).]

Posting Permissions