Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any good information on when this will be available. I read somewhere that it will be out in January. If this is the case I figured there would be more of a buzz about it. I would love to use my Treo on my work's BBerry server. I can't wait to see the client.
    Thanks
    Chris
  2. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #3  
  3. #4  
    curious though, in the above thread said they will offer support for BES and BWC, however...it looks like they will only support for BES...i use BWC and that makes me sad
  4. #5  
    Maybe a stupid question, but what does the blackberry connect offer that activesync/versamail doesn't?
    Thanks
  5. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lomli
    Maybe a stupid question, but what does the blackberry connect offer that activesync/versamail doesn't?
    Thanks
    True push email... your email arrives when your inbox receives email, not when you check for email. It would be the rough equivalent of having Versamail check email every second.

    Almost as important is that it also supports store and forward capabilities. You never really worry about having a signal -- when you have a signal, mails you send get sent immediately and mails to you get sent to you. However, in the absence of signal, it saves the outgoing/incoming message until you have a signal. So you could be sitting on a flight, compose a dozen emails, get off the flight and turn on the radio and have it do the rest. Or you could start composing an email in the subway, hit send, and clip it to your belt -- when you get out of the subway the mail goes out without you having to initiate the send.
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    However, in the absence of signal, it saves the outgoing/incoming message until you have a signal. So you could be sitting on a flight, compose a dozen emails, get off the flight and turn on the radio and have it do the rest. Or you could start composing an email in the subway, hit send, and clip it to your belt -- when you get out of the subway the mail goes out without you having to initiate the send.
    I understand that snappermail and the like are "modified pull" BUT I accomplish the above using my 600. I set the retrieve email time to 15 minutes or less. I compose emails on the train. It automatically saves into my outbox and sends as soon as it makes its next connection.

    That being said, I am very much looking forward to having the blackberry service since my company uses Lotus Notes.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  7. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    curious though, in the above thread said they will offer support for BES and BWC, however...it looks like they will only support for BES...i use BWC and that makes me sad
    BWC (BlackBerry Web Client) does appear to be supported, under its new name, BlackBerry Internet Service. See http://www.blackberry.com/products/licensing/connect/.

    Also, a press release from 9/27/2004 says "Sprint is looking forward to making the BlackBerry service available on the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network later this year...". Doubt they'll make it in time, though ;-).
  8. #9  
    Biggest reason is that if you cant fight with them (IT support promoting bb as the only solution) pretend to be one
  9. #10  
    A guy in my IT department just got the Cingular GSM 650. He let me play with it a bit. It is great looking, but he said there will be a problem with email. Apparently our company does not really support these devices and the only way I can have consistent email similar to my BBerry is if I leave a computer on at all times. The problem with this is that I use a laptop and actually take it with me when I leave for the night.

    I order the unlocked from Palm, but I am concerned that if I can't have instant emails on teh Treo like I do with the BBerry, I won't be able to really use the Treo.

    Any tips?
  10. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #11  
    Actually, Chatter Email does provide real push email like the Blackberry, syncs with Exchange or an IMAP client, but does not synch anything other than email (no tasks or events like the BB). Not sure if it can work with a VPN'ed Exchange server. Only downside for me is that it depletes the batter faster than it would normally due to the constant communication of Push. Basically I have to charge every day or else my Treo will die from the battery going dead - often it's not even a day, but more like 12 hours! Otherwise it's great, supports attachments, multiple folders, etc. etc.

    http://www.chatteremail.com/
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  11. #12  
    Actually, any IMAP4 client and server that supports IDLE can "push" mailbox updates. I'm 99% sure this is what chatter relies on. In IMAP, the client can send IDLE to the server to signal that it's ready to receive any "unexpected" updates. Afterwards, the server will send any mailbox updates. The flip-side to this is unless the client still continues to send at least a NOOP (which requests status updates also), the server can disconnect the user.

    Timeouts are set by the admin of the server to safeguard his system from attacks and negligent users. One could try to find out what that timeout is and poll just short of that interval, but most imap clients don't give you an option.
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Actually, Chatter Email does provide real push email like the Blackberry, syncs with Exchange or an IMAP client, but does not synch anything other than email (no tasks or events like the BB). Not sure if it can work with a VPN'ed Exchange server. Only downside for me is that it depletes the batter faster than it would normally due to the constant communication of Push. Basically I have to charge every day or else my Treo will die from the battery going dead - often it's not even a day, but more like 12 hours! Otherwise it's great, supports attachments, multiple folders, etc. etc.

    http://www.chatteremail.com/
    Wow. Thank you. I will check that out. Does it require my IT department to do anything extra? Can I just synch other stuff when I connect the Treo to my computer and do a Synch?
  13. Rob
    Rob is offline
    Rob's Avatar
    Posts
    531 Posts
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rziems
    Wow. Thank you. I will check that out. Does it require my IT department to do anything extra? Can I just synch other stuff when I connect the Treo to my computer and do a Synch?
    Well, if your company's mail server is behind a firewall, you can't use GPRS/EDGE, you would have to dial directly to your company's modem pool (assuming it has one) to get inside the firewall...
  14. #15  
    none of that matters, look at this. I don't believe the treo runs either one of these.


    System Requirements:
    BlackBerry Internet Service
    Supported Palm OS Garnet or Palm OS Cobalt Wireless Handhelds
    Treoseur
  15. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rziems
    Wow. Thank you. I will check that out. Does it require my IT department to do anything extra? Can I just synch other stuff when I connect the Treo to my computer and do a Synch?
    What Rob said is true. Your company's server needs to be accessible via the internet. And yes, you can synch the other stuff via a regular hotsynch.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  16. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhat3k1
    none of that matters, look at this. I don't believe the treo runs either one of these.


    System Requirements:
    BlackBerry Internet Service
    Supported Palm OS Garnet or Palm OS Cobalt Wireless Handhelds
    Treo 650 has Palm OS Garnet, so yes, it IS supported.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Posting Permissions